FMIC??

Stu2309

Reaction score
Well.....

Im in the market for a FMIC, looked at all the usual suspects APR, Forge, Airtec etc..

I know the s3 8L lads used to make a "welly" cooler when i had mine but is it something thats possible on the 8V..

Has anyone had experiance with making there own FMIC kit or are the off the shelf kits better..

:rockwoot:

Can’t comment on making one has have no experience or knowledge of this.
But I have done a fair bit of research into intercooler upgrade and I’m revo software and revo ic is direct fit and again nothing wrong with it but I have heard all the top tuners say that Wagner gives he best results and can handle the higher power of you decide to go that route. I don’t know if you know though but modification is required to fit the Wagner.

Reactions: Salik Sajid
i was going to go with wagner, but i think i will go with either forge or revo, more likely forge tbh as i have been reading they just as good.

Yeh ive heard the wagner needs modification for fitment.

Ive also been looking into the forge and airtec aswell.

Ive heard its alot cheaper to build you own kit as i know alot of my friends with jap cars tend to make there own kits up..

Parts for the new s3's are shocking like, ALOT more overtime needed haha

I have the Wagner, there's a little trimming on the internal bumper that holds everything together.

Reactions: Stu2309
I went Forge - couldn't justify the price difference or see any major performance benefits between it and the wagner
What’s the difference in price and how much would you say it costs fitting?

I went with Revo. Revo told me it's good for 520bhp but consensus says Wagner is the best for gains as it is bigger therefore increased flow.

Reactions: MikeParkin, welshy_a4 and Stu2309
Sure I paid £700 ish for the Wagner.

At the end of the day it's all about what you want/what you will spend/ where you want to be with power etc and what you will pay for fitting etc.

I have decided to fit all of my mods myself. I'm no mechanic but have a little knowledge and have messed with cars for years.

The majority of mods are the same in performance etc, regardless of what you choose (with a little give and take). If your looking at big figures, big turbos and quarter miles then chaste the best mods.

Everyone wants the best out of there cars, me as well but it's the ££££s that makes the difference.

Just my thoughts guys.

Totally agree @MikeParkin, was just wondering if anyone had any experiance making there own i tercooler kit as it was a friend who brought up the idea as he has done it on his r33 gtst and mr2 turbo.

I've heard the same re Wagner the best for power gains.

IE and APR get good reviews too on results and fitment.

I don't think there would be much difference at all on a stage 1/2 car between all those brands.

Just very little information/reviews on forge and Airtec. I'd probably go Wagner if it was me as so many of the top tuners recommend them and they're the experts that have tuned numerous cars with various IC fitted.

I think install is a 3-4hr job. I've stayed stock IC on APR HO tune in Australia. I don't drive hard enough often enough to feel the heat soak and i couldn't install myself so I'm not willing to spend close to $2k installed for IC.

If you suffer heat soak, track car and can installl yourself then 100% go for it.

Reactions: batch and Stu2309
i got Revotechnik intercooler, the reason i went for Revo is it doesnt need any trimming or cutting, its pretty straight forward bolt-on like oem intercooler with revo silicone hoses made by samco. If you are going for stage 2 do get wagner or forge or IE, these days IE is popular in US.

Is that true that during IC install is require drain coolant?