Fmic

Gandini

Reaction score
Can I use any front mount intercooler on my 1.8 20v or does it have to be specifically for it???

A3 or s3?
Have you checked the stickies?

Are petrol and diesel intercoolers the same surely they just cool the air and make it more dense it can only be sizes and pipe bore that are different

Arguably an intercooler is an intercooler but... as mentioned in previous posts from other members you should check the FAQs as there is a massive thread about FMICs for the A3/S3 (don't know what you have) that is full of tried and tested useful information about intercoolers for the 8L cars

Considerations on intercooler choice is a factor of course but turbo/power, physical cooler size and inlet size typically dictate which cooler you choose... you don't really want to fit a 'welly cooler' with 76mm pipework to a car running a K03 for example...

Might be easier if you told us a little more about your power plans and the spec of the car you have... 1.8 20v is not a lot to go on as this engine is fitted in anything from a Polo to an Octavia... I also assume its a turbo car even though you have said its a 1.8 rather than a 1.8t

<tuffty/>

Sorry I have a a3 1.8 20v turbo with agu lump. Was going to fit intercooler remap then was looking into the ko3s conversion

Save the cost of a in between remap and just k03s it. The gains not exactly night and day. Car will drive loads nicer though.
Build it up so you have all supporting mods. Fit the turbo and get it remapped.
Only my view of course!

Reactions: Gandini