FMIC - What have people got?

Sean_

Reaction score
As the title, I'll be looking to upgrade to a front mount intercooler soon. I'm not looking to spend mad money, 200-300 ideally. I ran a Toyosport wellycooler on my old R and it was savage, didn't have a problem with it and it wasn't too expensive. Anyone have one on their B7's currently? I was looking at some cheap 1.8t intercoolers with hoses like the below, I wonder would they suit? I'd say the piping won't fit but could probably use at least some of it?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/320976039811

I put one of these on mine, as im running a standard turbo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CXRacing-...-For-05-08-Audi-A4-B7-2-0T-Blue-/140831211105

It was horrible to fit. It took a lot of faffing, trimming, cutting, swearing, grinding, custom mounts making, bending and relocating of power steering cooler, until I was %100 happy with the fit.

The only plus points are that it is a complete kit. The price, I got mine 2nd hand for £150. It does seem to have a reasonably good quality core on it.

It seems to do the job. It makes more whooshing noise when putting your foot down in comparison to the oem setup although I also have an apr carbonio kit fitted.

Write up i found http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/419162-B7-A4-FMIC-Install-eBay-CX-Racing

Reactions: Sean_
looks good mark, a shame their advert description does not state it is not a straight forward fit, i'd be interested in one but shipping is a tad costly at £146.00 alone.....

Seen that one online alright mark, seems pricey for something that's not a direct fit! Any idea what the core size is on it? Could compare to some of the cheaper ones I found and have a go at that, just get some piping made up if I have too.

This is on my to do list pain in the **** that all the cheaper kits are b5 or 1.8t versions il keep an eye on your process. Darkside have just brought a kit out it tells you the dimensions of their cooler I was Gona try and copy that and copy most of their fittings

This is on my to do list pain in the **** that all the cheaper kits are b5 or 1.8t versions il keep an eye on your process. Darkside have just brought a kit out it tells you the dimensions of their cooler I was Gona try and copy that and copy most of their fittings

Yeah I know it's a nightmare! Wouldn't mind but when I had my Cupra R a few years they were triple that price! Even if all you needed with that kit was a few pieces I could live with that. Just need to find out what size core will suit first

Nice mate! Slam bar go back on or not? That would look class with a rs4 grill with no plate Knarly teeth!

Running with no bar at the moment, if I cut the back half out could go back on but not to worried to be fair.

Really want the RS4 style grille but it's just trying to justify the price.

what about rad cooling chap, that IC does appear to block a fair old area of the radiator core, not 100% i'd want to rely soley on forced air cooling from the cooling fans, any probs to date.

No an issue mate car sits bang on 90c without the fans cutting in, even in 30+c didn't have an problem.

Looks class jay! What sort of power are you running? Does it affect performance at all seeing as it's such a large core?

Only 2.0TDI (PD140) slow as feck, only 171bhp at the moment, no lag with the large core didn't notice a difference going from a small front mount to current set up, hopefully will come into play more then the hybrid goes on running 220bhp (ish)

I was looking at an IC about half that size Jay, one that would fit just under the crash bar as I don't want to go and start cutting the thing. Did you get the pipework made up yourself?

Haven't got a pic the first one I was running sat under the crash bar.

Not sure how the 2.0T engine is layed out but it's **** easy doing on the 2.0TDI
2x90 degree silicon and 1 straight join (hot side)

2x90 degree metal pipes welded with pressure sensor welded in (cold side)

Reactions: James.c