1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FMIC fitted incorporating the 2 SMIC,s

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by s3dave, Jul 18, 2010.

1. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

As above, bought a slim FMIC of ebay and fitted in one big loop using the existing SMIC,s 63mm pipework

What a result!! slightly quicker spool up the engine just feels soooooo fresh even got rid of a slight stutter on tickover!
    running for 1 hour, ambient temps 19 intake temps 35 on full boost drops to 20 degrees everytime all the time so happy... all for...........£42..whoop whoop.. brand new, it was a complete kit for a honda prelude.... no chopping out the crash bar! kept my fogs the grill will go back on too when i am bored with the look or it gets pitted, next im getting my hybrid, custom mapped... comments welcome...:yes:

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.

[​IMG]

#1 s3dave, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    m19lte likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Mpathe

Mpathe 1st gear

personally cant see how it could possibly spool up quicker as all you have done is replaced the metal boost pipe with an intercooler making more volume for the turbo to fill, i think you've made it better for keeping temps down but worse for spooling up. surely it would be better to remove the smic's.

4. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!
    VCDS Map User

nice job Dave....although as above, fail to see what you've acheived by keeping the original SMIC's..... best solution is a decent fmic and remove the SMIC's as they simply arent that efficient.....

5. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

the volume, of the large pipe my friend, was more than the fmic :icon_thumright:

6. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Not feeling the badge lol

7. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

as i see it they are not doing any harm , and fitting a larger intercooler,cutting the crash /SAFETY BAR...... hiding 60% - 70% of the cooler behind the bumper with no forced air seems bizarre...just thinking from an engineers point of view...of course

m19lte likes this.
  8. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

Looks good Dave, let me know when you can do mine for me :) Do you think you could possibly get a slightly bigger cooler?

9. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

lol yeah that was put on in a mad euphoric moment.....:think:

10. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

cheers, it was pretty much maxed out where it sits to the bottom of the bumper.. maybe an inch taller...

11. 1animal1

VCDS Map User

hey Dave i aint arguing mate...the idea of the fmic is of course to ensure the maximum surface area is hit by the colder air, the reason people have mostly dumped their SMIC's is because the cold air feed to these is very inefficient and so the area is better spent more centrally (where the FMIC is located)......thats why a larger more central fmic is preferred

im not coming on here to slate what you have done, i congratulate you for managing to keep them and the fogs - what i am saying is that in theory what you have done is ina way pointless to a certain degree.....being an engineer this must make sense surely?

12. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

lol i am not arguing either,, peace....lol
    no i cant see what you are saying,the smic work... not very efficiantly but they do work... so why not leave them on with the fmic? every little helps...so they say :icon_thumright:

13. 1animal1

VCDS Map User

they do but do you fit one fmic that does a much higher level of cooling than the SMIC's and will happily do the job very well and well within the limits that you require and with a certain level of surface area....or do you increase the surface area with far less efficient items and introduce more lag, all you have done is create more lag through the network of obstructions/air mass

this is why most people get rid of them...not because they have to :)

14. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

most people get rid of them because everybody else does.....so its got to be right.....right?
    i can assure you i have less lag than before, anyway im happy with the results maybe when i get a custom map things maybe different, but temps are excellent as things stand, if i have to have a bigger ic i would get the 8p bumper for sure....

m19lte likes this.
  15. 1animal1

VCDS Map User

nope your completely wrong....people that know and have a history on these cars have removed them by using simple logic based around making the best use of the intercoolers connected without increasing the air mass too much..... i can assure you, you will have introduced more lag... you have replaced a pipe with an FMIC which carries more air, that said i know of one person who kept one of their SMIC's, and even he said it wasnt needed - its simple theory really, if an FMIC attracts a lower temp than the residing SMIC then surely it is completely ludicrous to keep the lower efficiency items as the surface area is more inefficient than the equivailent FMIC - i cant see how many other ways i can tell you this

good work as i said above, but the best way of doing things? i would bet a limb not

16. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

lol... most of the larger fmics are hidden behind the bumper... yes or no? warm air rises so the hottest part of the large fmics are getting 0% forced air,if the bumper had more slats, of course it would be better to delete the smics , my fmic is working 100% so i am h.a.p.p.y.....lol

17. 1animal1

VCDS Map User

i didnt say fit a larger one did i :)

my point is not to argue, more a case of what you have done is completely pointless, you could have fitted 12 intercoolers in succession and it would be 100% working...... to its maximum efficiency though? we both know the answer

well done though, at least you wont have too much to put back on if you go back to the original set up :)

18. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

ok if i have any problems i will let you know thanks.....im tired lol

19. Chlippo

Chlippo Member

how small is it...overall and core size?

20. 5teve L

5teve L Member

I'm with Dave on this one, the SMIC do work to a degree, adding the FMIC he has helps cooling, it prob flows as much air through it as the long boost pipe, so prob has less or the same amount of 'lag' as you put it.
    I'm also with him on the 'most of the larger FMIC are hidden behind the bumper/crash bar, which has also been weakened by cutting it' quote. Unless the intercooler has a cowling to it like some rads do to 'channel' the air directly to it, all it will do is go around it... more efficient, no I don't think so.
    Good on you Dave for being different, I hope it works with a stage 2 map on it mate, I hope it works out as I'm not keen on butchering the crash bar myself & you manage to keep OE look if you put the grill back in.

m19lte likes this.
  21. 1animal1

VCDS Map User

ok chaps we shall dismiss all the previous jobs as utter trash....yours is definately the best way of doing things and im sure a square intercooler will flow exactly the same as a much smaller pipe (why wouldnt it).... makes absolute sense,cant see why i didnt understand in the first instance :)

the fact that your air now flows through 3 square items and will have a longer distance to travel along with a likely higher surface area of air, more of which is more inefficient than your slightly larger FMIC......

but congratulations for being different as thats what its all about.....

im seriously considering going down the huge fmic route, although i will be putting the 8P front bumper on too along with some silver 3D flame strips to stop my doors getting scratched as i think they will compliment each other, might even go for bonnet vents, although i want to be different so might choose bolsa wood slats

lordy

22. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  23. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

At the end of the day as long as this setup is reducing intake temps and not effecting the car in anyway it's been a success. Personally though I would remove the passenger SMIC so I could run a bigger air feed into the airbox but keep the drivers side SMIC.

Nice to see something different though.

24. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

700mm x 195mm x 80mm core size unknown

25. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

Hang on a minute, i have not slated what other people have done, infact i very much appreciate all the time and effort that goes into these mods, i have just tried a different route...... everybody wants the best out of there cars whether it is one way or another...

i think the flame stickers would be faster in red...:whistle2:

26. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

Don't forget the Supra spoiler as well....

Bottom line IMO is that if it works for you, and you're happy with it, then sweet. End of.

Intake temps are down, so you've achieved what you set out to do! Not the generally accepted way of doing it, but that makes no odds really.

:thumbsup:

27. 5teve L

5teve L Member

I think it was more aimed at me Dave.. Doesn't bother me, as has been said, you did it differently (& cheaply)& it works, end of mate :)

28. 1animal1

VCDS Map User

na fair play..... like i said, good work Dave

apologies if i came across too abrupt :)

29. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User Audi A4 quattro

I see where you coming from with it. You must have had a boost leak to incease spool up.

If you are happy, it's all that matters.

30. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

Yes must have had a slight leak on the bottom pipe as my tickover is steady now, so all good

31. S3 TAM

S3 TAM Pocket now empty

OMG......... I thought my bird gave me stick.

Good on Ya S3Dave.

Inertiauk likes this.
  32. 1animal1

VCDS Map User

<<<< loves it when people miss the point entirely :)

well done Dave

33. DaveA3

DaveA3 Audi A-Trizzle!

ahh u all sound like a bunch of old ladies! :laugh:

its different Dave and it works. Good on ya.

lots of ppl dont like my carbonio and say green cotton filter is better. I say sod off to them tbh. a green cotton filter doesnt sound like darth vader is hiding under the bonnet! :icon_thumright:

#31 DaveA3, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
  34. Welly

Don't beat around the bush now, tell us what you really think dude! LOL :lmfao:

35. 1animal1

VCDS Map User

i want an 8P :(

:lmfao:

36. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

love this thread. thinking outside the box. not enough of it in the 20vt community

37. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

but is there any point making lots of noise without getting down the road quickly?!!

38. DaveA3

DaveA3 Audi A-Trizzle!

not like its a 1.6 now is it and a green cotton doesnt add any more power than a carbonio. so it dont really matter may aswell have a nice sound.

im slowly getting there with me mods just dont wanna spank it all on credit card for the sake of having it now kinda thing.

remap next then i will be moving fairly quickly :happy:

oh and i agree with ur post above matt. loads of out the box kinda thinkin on the french car forums dunno if they're more of a bodge tho lol

haha :laugh: not always the best way but it was necessary :eyebrows:

39. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

> loads of out the box kinda thinkin on the french car forums dunno if they're more of a bodge tho lol

on sites like this everyone will do exaclty what everyone else does, almost without exception. using a bit of thought ive got my ARZ golf with a ko3 (custom code stage 1 plus my special tweaks) to match a ko3s stage 2 car (fmic, turbo back, stage 2 software) just with normal well thought out tuning methods rather than paint by number rubbish

40. Welly

As in air flow readings or power output?

41. 1animal1

VCDS Map User

yup im curious if you have managed to get ko3s power from a ko3 and how you have measured it?

42. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Here we go again!