FMIC core size

Reaction score
Hi guys what size of core do you think would be alright for behind the standard bumper?

I think i could get away with quite a tall one as the bumper is quite open when you open the bonnet.

about this size.....
DSC03094.jpg

its a 45mm core IIRC - forge.
Am about to lower it about 30mm as I am fitting an S4 bumper

its only held on by two angled brackets, You can see them top left and right.
The inlet manifold side is a long pipe and that just needs swivelling round, the turbo side is about to get a nice nomex lined one peice tube that forge have just finished producing that incorporates the Recirc valve entry point.

I am only really looking at dropping it maybe an inch or two anyway. Just puts more of the core in the direct air.

S4 has much deeper vents
audis4.jpg

sorry its a 40mm core. and this is how snug it is behind the metal bumper bar, I believe they have to rmove about 5mm in teh centre.

eb3dd373.jpg

Ok cool.

Can you see anyother sensors or anything on the hose/steel pipes. As on some models or all models there is a boost sensor type thing. Known as a MAP sensor.

not sure what you mean, what steel pipe?

[ QUOTE ]
not sure what you mean, what steel pipe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah on the steel pipes. Not on the intercooler its self.

Because i heard there is a sensor on them for boost.

620G31_MAP_sensor.gif

Its like part 7 on the standard intercooler.

Here is a close up of the bolts and the harness, here's the one from the 2.7T motor in the S4 its just the same though. Since it has 2 intercoolers, they plumbed it into the pipe that merges the two intercooler pipes.

620G31_MAP_Sensor_2_7T.gif

That's more than likley the IAT(Intake Air Temp) Sensor. These engines do not use MAP sensors. They use a MAF instead. Cars ECUs generally use either/or to calculate fuel/air ratio. The IAT sensor is another, additional sensor used by the ECU for various other calculations...

If you plan to fit a tall FMIC core... although it seems there is a lot of space there with the bonnet open you will have to consider the bonnet catch which actually sits in a lot of the space you see with the bonnet open. It would foul on a tall core... which is why nobody actually makes a tall core for these cars.

*EDIT* In answer to your question about core size... 40mm seems to be the thickest you can use without cutting the bumper carrier etc... up to you of course. I think it's possible to fit 3" in there with some trimming, which in my opinion would be well worth it for the gains. Heaight x Width? Just measure it!

I have just been and had a peek out at my standard ic and it looks like my car doesnt have one of these sensors.

It must be DBW cars which have them.

I will ask Jim at Star tomorrow about this if i remember.

I know for a fact our cars don't have them, that's why I said what I did above...

Ya got me thinking now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh right, i was not doubting you. It will be the later model A4s that have them.

I have the same model as you i think from your sig.

I am going to buy a core in a couple of months when i have a peek behind my bumper and take some measurements.

Is so simple to make a kit like i dont know how these companies can charge about £1000 for a kit.

Totally agreee... I wouldn't entertain paying the money most people charge for kits when it's possible to put one together yourself for a few hundred quid at the most. Imagination and a little technical know-how is all you need /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck bud, be good to see what you come up with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

no sensor on non DBW models (mine).
This FMIC was the Forge development model for A4's, all kits are based on this format.
The S4 bumper I am fitting will allow me to drop it down into the larger air dam and more air.
I am potentially looking at a much thicker core and a wider I/C to replace it as time goes on. (900mmx200mmx80mm core)..like the seirra cosworth dimensions only bigger!

Don't buy the whole tall square IC thing as most of it sits behing the bumper and out of air flow.

could do that if you are willing to wait a couple of months.
I won't have the new turbo fitted for a while......