1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flywheels

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by Diesel_Seb, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Diesel_Seb

Diesel_Seb Im a Pro Elephant Keeper

Having recently got a racing flywheel in my vw bug, im now thinking of lightened the flywheel in my a3 being a diesel, its pretty torquey anyway, but anyone know of places i can take my flywheel to be lightened?

and whats peoples opinions on getting a lightened flywheel in an A3?

DieselSeb:ninja:
  2. evomaster3000

evomaster3000 Member

Lightening a flywheel on a diesel gives no gain imo and makes the engine alot worse!

Petrol tuning and diesel tuning are 2 different matters. Diesels don't rev high so lightening the flywheel gives no improvement.
  3. Diesel_Seb

thanks for the info:thumbsup: am completely new to diesel tuning

DS:ninja:
  4. devonmikeyboy

devonmikeyboy As far from JBS as possible !

Can you explain your thinking behind your statement as i disagree with what you have said as do Sachs,Helix,Spec and many other clutch manufactures.
  5. evomaster3000

evomaster3000 Member

Depends on the sort of tune the engine is at and you are aiming for?

For stock performance and a good torque range the stock will be fine, but if drastically changing the performance and tune of the engine then yes you could go ahead and lighten the flywheel, esp @ high end state of tune, but if you look at power/torque curves from stock and high tune, there is a huge difference, and thus driving style will be different etc etc.

Anyway was just saying that unless he's planning a setup something like yours and planning to double/tripple performance figures this would be a waste and on a stock engine in stock tune have adverse effects on the feel and drive, but it depends what you want your car to perform and drive like.
  6. devonmikeyboy

Totally agree with what you have just said. I hate SMF but they do make a difference and there are many reasons for fitting them on a tuned diesel so they do make a difference unlike what you first stated even though there is no reason to fit one to a stock diesel car.
  7. Diesel_Seb

well this may sound dumb, but im completely new to diesels! So am just wondering what i can do with diesels. Its totally stock asides from being chipped. So am just wondering if a lightened flywheel will make any difference, its made a massive difference on my bug but my thoughts are that possibly i wouldnt really notice the lightened flywheel on the A3, having a turbo on the car and being pretty torque-y anyway.

what am i looking for? well i guess something that is pretty quickish, something subtley modified, but not noticable. if that makes any sense!

:arco:
  8. devonmikeyboy

9. Diesel_Seb