Flywheel question?

JoshG93

Reaction score
Hi all, I know this topic has been covered a thousand times already but I never seem to get the right answers to my questions.

My dual mass is on it's way out ( it's an S3 8L AMK) and I'm planning on the engine seeing inbetween 300 & 350bhp one day to keep the Focus RS owners at bay. I know that can take quite a bit to be reliable, everyday power which is what my car is but that's a conversation for another day. Anyway, what I want to know is what uprated options there are for my clutch and flywheel. I've thought about a single-mass conversion but I've heard all sorts of horror story's and to be honest, I'm not going to be launching it up Santa Pod every weekend, It's my daily baby. I would just like something that's going to handle the power of the engine but not blow a hole in my gearbox, which has covered 120,000 now. (thinking of getting it re-conned before I go for that all important re-map).

Will a standard LUK dual-mass handle the power and can I get away with just an uprated clutch? Also, if anyone's got any links to suppliers of clutch's they've used, that would be very much appreciated. :)

Last I heard Tuffty is still using the standard LUK DMF in his car

Must be able to handle some power then. What clutch is he using, d'ya know?

Std LuK DMF, std LuK pressure plate and Sachs 4 puck paddle clutch plate...

Just remember that clutch wear/capabilities is subjective... while its fine on my setup so far if you drive like a hooligan then no clutch on the planet will 'last'... I have done one launch in the wet since fitting the new engine and it lit up the wheels... this is the DMF's second use too... cerametallic clutch plates will wear clutch components quicker than organic plates but will continue to grip until they are pretty much worn right out

<tuffty/>