1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluid dripping from infront of passenger side rear wheel, ideas?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by A3 steve, May 7, 2009.

1. A3 steve

A3 steve Member

Hi,

I noticed a wet patch on the ground under my S3 today, just forward of the passenger side rear wheel. Looking under the car i found the chassis to be wet around a rubber bung.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cars not been driven in the wet for the last few days, the only pipe in the area seems to be the brake line, i've checked the fluid level and that is fine. It looks/feels like it could be waxoil melting but its not really been too hot recently.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve
  2. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

have you had a recent service?

Could be venting haldex fluid from the drin due to being overfull
  3. A3 steve

A3 steve Member

Its not had a service recently.
  4. reptor245

reptor245 Active Member

Have you smelt the fluid? I mean does it smell like fuel or smell of nothing. i.e water.
    Also what colour is it as the pics looks abit yellow. could be brake fuild or power steering fluid. i would rub it in your fingers and see if its the same look and feel as your other fluids. Could even be coolant.
  5. Mason-A3Sport

Mason-A3Sport Audi Sport

Yeh looks like coolant to me to, i had the same problem on my previous car, tunred out to be a small leak where the croner of the radiator had corroded, check your radiator mate, failing that i would just take it to a garage and get it checked out.:thumbsup:
  6. ash_pearce

ash_pearce Member

coolant at the back of the car? Last time i checked G12 was a red colour, looks an oil based fluid to me, whats the other side of the rubber bung? looks like it under the rear seat area.
  7. reptor245

reptor245 Active Member

Whoopsy. I miss read it. Though he said front passenger wheel. lol

Still reckon "Have you smelt the fluid? I mean does it smell like fuel or smell of nothing. i.e water.
    Also what colour is it as the pics looks abit yellow."
  8. S3 HODGE

S3 HODGE Brown passenger seat.

Fuel lines run along the drivers side usally.
    Move the car over a dry spot and see how fast whatever the fluid is is coming out.....Then get someone to apply the brake and see if it comes out faster?
    Maybe easyer to jack it up and have a better look :search:
  9. SanityClause

SanityClause Member

Doesn't the rear washer pipe run on that side of the car? Quite common for it to split too.
    Check your washer reservoir to see if it's dropped, also see if you are getting full pressure on the rear wash/wipe.
  10. Mason-A3Sport

Mason-A3Sport Audi Sport

Sorry misunderstood didnt realise it was coming from the back
  11. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

I would check if your rear washwipe is working properly, if it isn't then the pipe hidden behind the rear quarter(behing the sub I think) has come loose.
  12. A3 steve

A3 steve Member

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I have tested the rear wiper and it works fine with plenty of flow from the jet.

I'll get the car jacked up over the weekend and do a more thorough investigation
  13. Biggied

Biggied They called him mellow yellow.

looks exact same as when the haldex Fluid has been over filled as the vent/spill over pipe is in that area, this is very common on TT & S3s but it 99% of the time happens after a haldex oil change.

Ewan
  14. A3 steve

A3 steve Member

Thanks, I had another look today. It looks like oil rather than washer fluid.

Are there any reasons other than an overfill that could lead to the haldex oil coming out the vent? Could this be an indication of a fault with the haldex?
  15. Biggied

Biggied They called him mellow yellow.

I wouldn't think a fault with the haldex unit would cause this, to my knowledge the main mechanicals of the haldex don't usualy fail. It is quite common to see a weeping haldex breather/over spill without there being any noted fault (to the extent that dealers wouldn't report it during an inspection unless it was really bad that is), I've always related it to slight over fill after an oil change, If I found my S3 to be the same as yours I'd just give it a clean then recheck it after a few miles, If there isn't a proper leak then I wouldn't worry about it.

Ewan