Flickering traction light after new tyres (rear only)

coolspot007007

Reaction score
I had two new tyres fitted on Monday but have had intermittent flickering of the traction control light. I know the front tyres are too small and I plan to change those on pay day but I needed rears for the MOT yesterday. I seem to remember reading about Haldex not being happy about rolling radius being too far out of stock so was thinking is the same is going to apply with a variance between the front and rear? Front are 205/40/17 rears are 225/45/17.

Last edited:
Difference in rolling radius is the issue here... tyres need to be same rolling radius... the ESP module is currently thinking your front wheels are spinning as they smaller rolling radius than the rear...

This is not just a haldex thing, its related to ESP and ABS... tyres NEED to be the same rolling radius...

<tuffty/>

Switch ESP off, you don't really need it with 4wd, hell, I don't use mine and mine's 2wd ;) I have a right foot.

Well at least it's an easy fix, and it's only temporary 'til I get the fronts. On the plus side the tyre place messed up on the quote and I got 2 Eagle F1 Asymetric for £160 fitted, will be just over £200 for the fronts.

pull the haldex fuse as well until you get the tyres done, you really dont want the haldex clutch engaging when you have that much speed differential between the axles.