Flat bottom steering wheel (FBMFSW) airbag

maxpayne

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Finally managed to snag a TT style flat bottom steering wheel .

Ideally wanted the newer A4/A5 FBMFSW with the mode button at top but couldn’t find anything that would cost less than £500 including the airbag. Oh well...

Anyway, I’m now on the lookout for a dual stage round airbag for the wheels.

Question is how do I know which one will fit? There are a few available on eBay and Allegro but it’s hard to determine just by the listing.

Are there specific parts number I should be in the lookout for?

3b10495b45be998fd79e2ac3806232c5.jpg

440d19c5f9b39a795ceeccacea892749.jpg

Thanks!

8J0 880 201 J - Black circle
8J0 880 201 N / L - Chrome circle
4F0 880 201 BF - might also work, looks identical.

Did you have a dual stage before ?
I fitted a FBMF to my 05 3.2 and later drove it into next doors kitchen wall, well through it actually. Airbag didn't go off. cracked my head on the sun visor and completely paralyzed myself for 2 hours, feeling eventually came back in Casualty but i was very lucky. there was debate even in those days about whether a FB wheel would work in an early car and i can categorically say it doesnt :)

I fitted a FBMF to my 05 3.2 and later drove it into next doors kitchen wall, well through it actually. Airbag didn't go off. cracked my head on the sun visor and completely paralyzed myself for 2 hours, feeling eventually came back in Casualty but i was very lucky. there was debate even in those days about whether a FB wheel would work in an early car and i can categorically say it doesnt :)
F**k me!!

your 05 a3 would have originally had a dual stage airbag anyway right?

I don't think it did and that's the problem. Funny thing was in those days i didn't have the know how to fit it so Audi Guildford fitted and coded it, they never mentioned it wouldn't work but many people on here did and they were spot on :)

I don't think it did and that's the problem. Funny thing was in those days i didn't have the know how to fit it so Audi Guildford fitted and coded it, they never mentioned it wouldn't work but many people on here did and they were spot on :)

Did your original steering wheel look like this by any chance?

787fbb85d0a79f66813cc02d030656f9.jpg

Could you not hold Audi Guildford responsible...or because you supplied the new wheel they weren’t to be held responsible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup thats what i had originally
I might have had a case against Audi but TBH i dont go much on this blame culture we live in. I asked them to fit it, its my problem.

Yikes! That’s some price to pay for the wrong wheel! Hope you managed to hold Guildford Audi to account. What a shoddy job!

I’m pretty sure mine a dual stage and yes some pre 2005 models came with single stage airbags as the one Omi posted a photo of.

An easy way to check is to see if there’s two connections to the airbag from the loom I believe.

Yes i think that was the thought at the time ( it was 9 years ago) something to do with the single or double connection. Problem is i seem to remember lots of people had ideas but the thing is with airbags you usually only get one chance to try them out :)

Yikes! That’s some price to pay for the wrong wheel! Hope you managed to hold Guildford Audi to account. What a shoddy job!

I’m pretty sure mine a dual stage and yes some pre 2005 models came with single stage airbags as the one Omi posted a photo of.

An easy way to check is to see if there’s two connections to the airbag from the loom I believe.

Wow, thats one way to find out if airbag works. Im guessing your car was a 3 door prefacelift split grill right?

Yeah unfortunately the first few 3dr's came with the wheel i posted a pic of above with single stage airbag.
All sportbacks came with the square-ish airbag which was dual stage along with the flatbottom which also used a dual stage airbag.

However the new 8V A3 uses a single stage airbag so can be used as a replacement on the single stage 8P's

Yeah unfortunately the first few 3dr's came with the wheel i posted a pic of above with single stage airbag.
All sportbacks came with the square-ish airbag which was dual stage along with the flatbottom which also used a dual stage airbag.

However the new 8V A3 uses a single stage airbag so can be used as a replacement on the single stage 8P's
The new 8v and tt 8s steering wheel look soooo good. If only there was a way to have the extra buttons functioning some how.

The new 8v and tt 8s steering wheel look soooo good. If only there was a way to have the extra buttons functioning some how.

Im sure that latest 8V steering wheel uses a single stage airbag too, so again would be no good to us guys with the dual stage airbags