flat battery / blown charger fuse

205man

Reaction score
need advise before i go buying new battery for no reason

i hardly use my car anymore maybe once a fortnight and then only for about 10 miles, so what ive noticed is that the battery starts to get low, so about once every 4-6 weeks i put it on charge just to top it up.

on saturday i used the car and noticed it was bit sluggish to start so i put it on charge when i got back, and removed charger wheni it was fully charged.

today i come to use car and nothing.......doors wont open, alarm not on etc and wont start of course

so i connect charger and no lights at all, so i check it on my spare motorbike battery that i keep on trickle charge and charger is working fine.

so i go back to car and disconnect the positive lead on the battery and reconnect the charger and within 30 seconds there was a popping noise and the fuse on the charger has blown

so i know its not the battery charger as its almost new and is big enough for the job, so does this mean my battery has finally given up completely?

need some advise before i go throwing cash on new battery for no reason lol

Internal short within the battery perhaps?

That would account for both the blown fuse and the fact that its drained itself...

yeah, think it must be defo the battery, cant think what else it could be, the only thing ive doen to my car is replace the sidelight bulbs a week or so ago lol

ive checked my receipts and the battery isnt 3 years old yet so may see if i can get it replaced under warranty