1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashing DRLs when using hazard lights

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by SamDude, Sep 25, 2011.

1. SamDude

SamDude Active Member

[Sep 25, 2011]
    Hi all,

I've been away a long time from the forum, but have lots of new questions and lots to learn - I've recently changed my A3 (8P) for an A4 (B8) and was wondering about the DRLs.

When I was looking for my next car a few weeks ago, I saw a video for FOW (a car supermarket) where the DRLs appear to be flashing with the hazard lights.

The effect can be seen here: AUDI A4 DIESEL SALOON (2008) - YouTube (from around 12 seconds onwards)

How is this done? Is it automatic at low speed? Does it have to be selected from the MMI menu? was it only available from a newer software update?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. Soot1e

Soot1e Member

[Sep 25, 2011]
    I have seen this effect when watching races such as the Porsche Carrera Cup on TV, the flickering LEDs are something to do with the frequency of the camera signal and the output frequency of the TV/monitor.
    It is not something that can be set up via the MMI or vagcom.
  4. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

[Sep 25, 2011]
    Would you really want your DRLs to do that? It just makes it look like a wiring issue!

As above it's just the filming on LEDs. It's because the frame rate if at a different frequency to the LEDs. (Note: LEDs don't stay on. They pulse rapidly)
  5. SamDude

SamDude Active Member

[Sep 25, 2011]
    Thanks both - I did wonder why I couldn't google the said 'feature'...
  6. evil_scooby

evil_scooby Member

[Sep 25, 2011]
    The DLRs do change when indicators are on but not sure if they flicker like that. Might try it tomorrow and see