1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fk coilovers and the knocking

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by vr6gordy, Jan 18, 2014.

1. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Active Member

[Jan 18, 2014]
    Think I might have just come across the reason why they bang .. I think it's got something to do with the standard washer you have to put back on before you fit the top mount ..the eom strut it a lot thicker then an coilover unit so the eom washer is to big so it will move around .. In my shed I came across some old spax rsx coilovers and fitted to them is a washer with a collar so this should stop the strut moving about .. Report tomorrow to see if this fixes the knocking
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 21, 2014]

3. Jimmy TDI

Jimmy TDI Pro Tinkerer

[Jan 19, 2014]
    If you find it does can you take some measurements and pics of said washers first please. This will come in handy for me when fitting mine as my dads an engineer so can get all kinds of washers, nuts, bolts, etc for me foc
  4. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Active Member

[Jan 19, 2014]
    Well took car apart this morning and fitting a new top mount .. The washer I had didn't fit so keeped the oem one .. Took it for a drive and it's still knocking .. So got home wheel off checked everything to make sure nothing was hitting all clear then as I moved my hand passed the drive shaft I knocked it and there it was moving it up and down back forwards it made a very loud knock so guess this is what I'm hearing .. So need to order new shaft now
  5. deano1978

deano1978 different gear

[Jan 19, 2014]
    This is what i thought it was! All i can think that it is,is because its being lowered that shafts are more lose creating the knocking noise.
    No noise b4 coilovers!
    Some people have gone back to spring and noise has gone!

Id hold fire of shafts if i was you ;-)
    Well i am.
  6. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Active Member

[Jan 19, 2014]
    Shafts need doing any plus when I made shaft knock it's the same sound that I heard in the car
  7. deano1978

deano1978 different gear

[Jan 20, 2014]
    Yes mine too.
    Did urs occur after lowering?
  8. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 20, 2014]
    Driveshafts are fun with coilovers, but easy to replace.
    I'v torn a few CV boots since fitting coilovers (I guess that after 9 years sat at the same position they don't like change!)