1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing door skirts! (with pictures)

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Ciaranl, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Ciaranl

Ciaranl New Member

Hey guys,

over the last few months the skirts on the bottom of the drivers door have gradually become loose, to the point they flap about when shutting the drivers door.

I am guessing with all the door sill problems people may have had these off a few times so just after some advice on the process of how to do it and any hints.

I think the skirts are screwed onto the door by 4 screw if i am correct and it seems the piece of plastic that the screws go into is coming away from the skirt rather than the skirt breaking.

Take a look at the pictures and you will see my dilemas.

the problem....
    [​IMG]
    By ciaranl at 2008-10-10

[​IMG]
    By ciaranl at 2008-10-10

the screws... i think there are 4 in total running down the door. at the moment i only have 2 of them out.
    [​IMG]
    By ciaranl at 2008-10-10

i am guessing i need to take the end screw out too.
    [​IMG]
    By ciaranl at 2008-10-10

I kind of get the idea, i think i need to undo 4 bolts and then slide the skirt towards the back of the car to get it off. The plan is then to clean the skirt up of any cr*p and then use 'no more nails' to hold the plastic part into the skirt so its strong enough to be screwed on again.

If anyone has any advice on this or a different way of doing it that would be great, all advice welcome.
    (from what i have found most problems seem to be common)

my second problem.... my bad!!

while i was removing the screws, not being able to see in there and just hoping for the best i have taken the head off the screw... see below.
    [​IMG]
    By ciaranl at 2008-10-10

The screws seem to have a tiny head on them but i am guessing i need to drill or poke this out and carry on with the fixing part.

Any advice or points to other threads would be great!

HELP ME FIXING MY UGLY FLAPPING SKIRTS!!!

Thanks in advance!

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. yellowgti

yellowgti Whats going to break next??...
    VCDS Map User

your skirts are slightly different than mine but ive done mine today with bodykit sealent, it suppose to be hard as nails! maybe give that a try?

4. Ciaranl

Ciaranl New Member

cheers yellowgti, was the process for getting the skirts off ok?

remove 3 x screws and 1 x nut (handle end) and then slide back?

Ive got the three screws out but didnt have a spanner with me for the nut. It felt pretty tight but i may give it a go later.

Cheers

5. yellowgti

yellowgti Whats going to break next??...
    VCDS Map User

yes youve got it, thats right, i gave mine a squirt of wd40 first, may stop them snapping!

6. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Yes, remove 4 screw and firm tug backwards to remove, they look a bit goosed from the pics in my opinion, a repair would be a short term fix, new ones are around 70quid per side...

7. Ciaranl

Ciaranl New Member

cool cheers guys, i called audi and they wanted near enough £100 per side and they were unpainted.

the passenger side seems like it could be on its way too!

Inside the car is sweet no knocks rattles but generally i am surprised at some of the faults that pop up on an audi!

the door trims as above -
    and also the window problems on the passenger side, thought id seen the last of that in my old golf!

Ill see how my repair goes!

Anyway cheers guys