1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed vs Variable servicing

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by cemerson, May 24, 2013.

1. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the differences between these, what intervals are involved and which one (in your opinion) I should ask for? I have asked the dealer as well but I'd like to get the opinion of people on here too on these different options.

Thanks,

Chris
  2. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Well-Known Member

Depends on your car /petrol/Diesel. Personally I would avoid the Longlife servicing.
  3. JohnnyM100

JohnnyM100 Active Member

Summary version:

Normal 12 month schedule is an oil & filter change each year (plus car health check) with a proper service every other year.

AVS service has service intervals estimated by the car itself up to a max of a 2 year interval. So, same oil & filter for up to 2 years.

AVS mainly designed for fleet cars doing high mileage and to reduce service costs during the lease period e.g 3 years from new.

If you have a heavy right foot and enjoy spirited driving then go for the annual service schedule. Ditto if you do lots of short journeys.

If you only keep the car for a few years you may be ok on AVS but also read this:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ne-death-consequence-oil-pickup-pipe-etc.html

Personally, I would not use AVS but stick to annual service schedule.

John.
    P.S. hope the link works properly; still learning Tapatalk v2 and its driving me nuts.
  4. cemerson

2.0 TDI doing ~18,000 miles a year
  5. hittchy

hittchy Member

Similar mileage and same engine as I have. Variable servicing will mean one annual visit to the dealer (sometimes I get to 14 months before the DIS demands a visit). I've had my last 6 Audis on variable without a problem.

I really don't worry about it. I'd worry more about doing 8,000 miles a year on fixed annual servicing with all the associated stop/start and engine not reaching temp.

If I was doing less than 10k, I'd probably go for fixed servicing.

As said above, the oil and filter change is the same but done according to driving conditions rather than a fixed time/distance. Inspection service will come up at approx. 18k or two years which is the same for both. In your (and my) circumstances the oil change and inspection should coincide.
  6. Audi Steve

Audi Steve Member

A 2.0 tdi doing 18k a year needs to be on longlife servicing, you'll get roughly 17k I would think and be due 1 service a year including oil and pollen year 1, oil pollen and fuel year 2, then oil pollen air (I think it's 60k on these) bfs and mot year 3

Fixed you'll be in at 10k (8 months ish) for oil, then again at 18-20 (1 year) for oil and pollen then 30........... Blah blah

Morel of the story, stick with longlife lol
  7. cemerson

Cheers. How much notice does it give you before you have to take it in?
  8. hittchy

hittchy Member

IIRC about 2000 miles.