Fitting Xenons on a A3 S Line

dappa786

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Just joined the forum so I thought id say hello. I have just bought a Audi A3 2.0 T-FSI Quattro in Lava Gray, love the car but I need to make a few suttle mods. I will take some pics this weekend if it doesn't rain!!

I have managed to locate a set of xenon headlights for the car and I just wanted to know if they are a straight forward fit? Do they need to programmed? Harness change required.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards

Yousaf
:drool:

Hey Yousaf

Ok xenons if you are swapping from halogen you need a convertor harness from kufatec, its about 30 euro's I think, but as the lights have the motors for suspension levelling in other words if the boot is heavy or the front is low the motors in the lights make them lower or higher depending on the suspension sensors, kufatec do the kit for this aswell, it needs coding with Vag aswell, but anyone in your area will help for a beer or 20, lol.

But so you know HID lighting systems by law have to have the headlight washing systems installed, now no one would know & I'm 100% sure you wont have an issue so you could just forget it, but if you wanted to you can swap the bumper later & kufatec do the wiring kit for this aswell.

Links as below & website has many mods you can do:

Website is : www.kufatec.de

Levelling Kit : http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_...plete-autolevelling-kit-A3-8P---8P-Sport.html

New Harness : http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_...h-curvelight---Bi-Xenon-A3-8P---8P-Sport.html

Headlight washing wiring : http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_...ght-washing-system-Audi-A3-8P---8P-Sport.html

I wish someone told me they make a halogen-xenon convertor harness last year when I asked! I have rewired my headlight connector.

its a learning curve, lol, lol

I wish someone told me they make a halogen-xenon convertor harness last year when I asked! I have rewired my headlight connector.

ditto, but that was on 8L model.

Had mine fitted for about 4 years without any problems, my original lights got badly scratched by road salt getting flung up on a AS roat trip many moons ago. Many of us suffered that day...

Khufu, the 8L S3 didnt have the made up harness then mate, I did the similar upgrade but from 2 piece xenon to single piece headlight & that was unfortunately the repair wires & new plug job from audi, was a cool mod.

Khufu, the 8L S3 didnt have the made up harness then mate, I did the similar upgrade but from 2 piece xenon to single piece headlight & that was unfortunately the repair wires & new plug job from audi, was a cool mod.

Was the the mod that required the cutting of the inner wing edge? :blink:

I just had the two piece pre-facelift.

Yeah, exactly that mod, simple dremel, antirust & some bolts/L shaped metal bracket for fixing to the existing hole, rewire the levelling motor plugs to new ones hey presto worked a charm.

Very interesting!

So the headlights look light a straight swap with a new loom from Kufatec. But will they work without the (expensive) self levelling kit and/or washer kit?

Has anyone fitted the latter successfully?

Anyone have the part number and price of a Kufatec xenon harness to halogen headlamp convertor?

Why can I not register on the Kufatec site? I click continue under new customer and it sends me back to the same page.

Staz check further up I posted all the links & parts info for the 8P xenon conversion mate.

huh, oh ok, but Y do the reverse(yeah I'm nosey)

huh, oh ok, but Y do the reverse(yeah I'm nosey)

I have continental halogens which I have had fitted to my S3 (to pass British Forces Germany (BFG) lights test). When I come to sell them I will be able to ask for more if I can say they'll also fit a car with xenons. Which they do as I fitted them to mine. But not everyone is able to rewire their cars' electrics like I did lol

I'm surprised Matt hasn't been on this thread yet, I'm sure he will soon though... :idea:

Here I am!!

I bought a set of bi-xenons the other week, they came with the adapters. Just need to work out the wiring. One simple way to do it is run with xenons on all the time or if you run another wire to the drivers footwell you can use them in the same way as a car equipped with xenons

Here I am!!

I bought a set of bi-xenons the other week, they came with the adapters. Just need to work out the wiring. One simple way to do it is run with xenons on all the time or if you run another wire to the drivers footwell you can use them in the same way as a car equipped with xenons

I have a print out from the tech at Osnabruck Audi with the wires on but it's a bit pants. The wiring is a bit difficult because when you change the setting with vag.com the outputs change. The biggest issue I think is the main beam. Halogens have 1 feed for main and 1 for dipped (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs) but the xenons have a permanent feed to one pin and then another feed selects dipped or main.

I have a print out from the tech at Osnabruck Audi with the wires on but it's a bit pants. The wiring is a bit difficult because when you change the setting with vag.com the outputs change. The biggest issue I think is the main beam. Halogens have 1 feed for main and 1 for dipped (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs) but the xenons have a permanent feed to one pin and then another feed selects dipped or main.

I got a load of wiring diagrams from the guy a bought the lights from. Not got it to hand at the minute but if I remember right if I enable scandinavian lights they will work with the adapter cables that came with them and dip beam will be on all the time. If I add the extra wire if I remember right they will work as oem spec xenons. Chap selling was saying if you don't activate scandinavian lights the main beam flash doesn't work.

I got a load of wiring diagrams from the guy a bought the lights from. Not got it to hand at the minute but if I remember right if I enable scandinavian lights they will work with the adapter cables that came with them and dip beam will be on all the time. If I add the extra wire if I remember right they will work as oem spec xenons. Chap selling was saying if you don't activate scandinavian lights the main beam flash doesn't work.

I'm not entirely sure what he means there. Scandinavian mode would just give you DRLs via the dipped circuit, I can't think how it would affect the mains. I don't know the circuit 100% you see.

There are 5 different headlight modes you can set with vag.com and 2 DRL modes. Each will give different outputs to different pins. Xenons have 11 wires going to them. 4 small for the auto levelling, 5 large for the bulbs and then 2 other small ones on the other side, one of these selects dipped or main. Halogens only have 6 wires for the lights (2 of them are earths) and 3, I think, wires for the levelling circuit. As you can see the numbers don't add up.

I'll have a look at the circuit when I go for lunch and see what I can suss out.

I'm not entirely sure what he means there. Scandinavian mode would just give you DRLs via the dipped circuit, I can't think how it would affect the mains. I don't know the circuit 100% you see.

There are 5 different headlight modes you can set with vag.com and 2 DRL modes. Each will give different outputs to different pins. Xenons have 11 wires going to them. 4 small for the auto levelling, 5 large for the bulbs and then 2 other small ones on the other side, one of these selects dipped or main. Halogens only have 6 wires for the lights (2 of them are earths) and 3, I think, wires for the levelling circuit. As you can see the numbers don't add up.

I'll have a look at the circuit when I go for lunch and see what I can suss out.

Enabling Scandinavian will give the constant power then the main beam wire must operate the shutter. With out looking at the diagrams its has to explain.

Enabling Scandinavian will give the constant power then the main beam wire must operate the shutter. With out looking at the diagrams its has to explain.

Yes you are right. I realised over lunch. I wouldn't have said it's the best way to wire it up though.

I won't bother giving you all the pin numbers etc etc because I don't think it'll help you as you already have the adaptor cable. What does this wire to the footwell connect to?

Yes you are right. I realised over lunch. I wouldn't have said it's the best way to wire it up though.

I won't bother giving you all the pin numbers etc etc because I don't think it'll help you as you already have the adaptor cable. What does this wire to the footwell connect to?

The adapters and wire can be bought from here http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_...h-curvelight---Bi-Xenon-A3-8P---8P-Sport.html

I already have the adapter so just need to order a couple of repair wires as the extra wires are not on my adapter. The extra wire is connected to the boardnet controlling unit for bi xenon switchting and daylight

Hmm, noticed your signature N8, googled your company name and saw all your work on Detailing world, so thats where youve been hiding!!!

Nice work BTW! renault/bimmer looked real nice :)

Now i realise why you were lurking behind my car at pr0sport, prolly checking out all the holgrams and swirling :blush:

Just had a look myself - the Clio turned out really really nice.

DSC04237.jpg

Have you got any customers who aren't family yet?

where'd you see that image then?