1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting Wing Mirror Caps

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by metricspaces, Nov 5, 2010.

1. metricspaces

metricspaces Member

Anyone got any info on fitting wing mirror caps to a pre-facelift S3? How do I remove the old ones?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

The OEM ones aren't caps, they're housings. If you bought caps then they just stick on with double sided tape.

4. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator quattro Audi S3

Adjust the wing mirror glass as inwards as possible, then use your fingers to pull the glass off it's base with the gap, need to be a bit gentle, or it will crack! Then you need to undo the 2 wires that power the demister, you can just pull these off with your fingers or use a small flat blade screwdriver. Now there are 3 small crosshead screw(torque screws with a different thread if you have alloy mirrors), undo these and the whole cap pulls off upwards.

Fitting is obviously the reverse of the above.

5. metricspaces

metricspaces Member

Thanks. I've gotten the housings, not caps. The ones I got are like these here 88-Tuning Shop - Alu-Matt-Look Spiegel (Spiegelgehuse) passend fr Audi A3 8L Bj. 01-02 mit normalem Beifahrerspiegel Alu-Matt-Look Spiegel (Spiegelgehuse) MC08147.1 , but apparently fit a pre-facelift, so we shall see :)

I don't understand this bit about

"Now there are 3 small crosshead screw(torque screws with a different thread if you have alloy mirrors"

Can I unscrew these with a normal Philips screwdriver? Or will I need a special head\screwdriver to remove them?

6. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator quattro Audi S3

If you have the standard body coloured caps, then a philips screwdriver will do the trick, if you have the alloy ones, then you need a torx screw head(I think).

7. metricspaces

metricspaces Member

Ah right, makes sense now, thanks! I've standard caps, so should be good with the philips.