1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting Wing Mirror Caps

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by metricspaces, Nov 5, 2010.

1. metricspaces

metricspaces Member

[Nov 5, 2010]
    Anyone got any info on fitting wing mirror caps to a pre-facelift S3? How do I remove the old ones?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

[Nov 5, 2010]
    The OEM ones aren't caps, they're housings. If you bought caps then they just stick on with double sided tape.
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 5, 2010]
    Adjust the wing mirror glass as inwards as possible, then use your fingers to pull the glass off it's base with the gap, need to be a bit gentle, or it will crack! Then you need to undo the 2 wires that power the demister, you can just pull these off with your fingers or use a small flat blade screwdriver. Now there are 3 small crosshead screw(torque screws with a different thread if you have alloy mirrors), undo these and the whole cap pulls off upwards.

Fitting is obviously the reverse of the above.
  5. metricspaces

metricspaces Member

[Nov 5, 2010]
    Thanks. I've gotten the housings, not caps. The ones I got are like these here 88-Tuning Shop - Alu-Matt-Look Spiegel (Spiegelgehuse) passend fr Audi A3 8L Bj. 01-02 mit normalem Beifahrerspiegel Alu-Matt-Look Spiegel (Spiegelgehuse) MC08147.1 , but apparently fit a pre-facelift, so we shall see :)

I don't understand this bit about

"Now there are 3 small crosshead screw(torque screws with a different thread if you have alloy mirrors"

Can I unscrew these with a normal Philips screwdriver? Or will I need a special head\screwdriver to remove them?
  6. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 5, 2010]
    If you have the standard body coloured caps, then a philips screwdriver will do the trick, if you have the alloy ones, then you need a torx screw head(I think).
  7. metricspaces

metricspaces Member

[Nov 5, 2010]
    Ah right, makes sense now, thanks! I've standard caps, so should be good with the philips.