Fitting the RS3 Grill (Guide)

The 1 I got on my 8p everything was removable so presumed this would be the same spoke to the guy on the phone and he suggested drilling them out but not sure I want to go down that road! Yeah I guess it wouldn't be that noticeable

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441829314088631
well that's the rs3 grill on! Found it not to bad a job I managed to do it without removing the wheels or floor pan so that saved me abit of time

I was looking at doing some other changes cosmeticly but theres not really much a can think of lol

No there's not that I can think of.. But they sit pritty nice as is I think although I need silver mirror caps as the 1st owner decided against them!

Has anyone done this with the adaptive cruise control as I can't find the grill with the cut out for it .

Does the UK S3 8V not have the foam or plastic covering over the slam panel, couldn't see it in any of the pics?

Yes but most people have removed it and painted the crash bar black so u don't see it

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but out of curiosity, how much did they charge to fit it? (Also where did you get your grill (xenonz?) or elsewhere...
Yes xenonx an i think it was £70/£80

I removed the floor pan but not the wheels. I had to take the screws out the wheel arch liner and pull it back one at a time with the car on axle stands and the wheel turned. I used a small ratchet with extension and got the front internal screws from underneath the car.

How did you manage to do it without removing the wheels/floor pan? Surely you still have to get to the screws to remove the bumper?

The bumper unclips from the floor pan, I was all prepared to remove it until my jack stopped working then realised there was no need to remove it so saved myself a lot of hassle and time. I just turned the steering to get in about the screws in the inner arch with a small ratchet.

Last edited:
Good looking mod. I'd like to maintain my S3 badge. Is it easy to remove the badge from the original grill and attach it to the RS3 replica grill? Looks like it's been done in post #24. Or was that at an additional S3 badge?

Hello,
Thanks a lot for this installation guide, will be very helpfull for me !
I've receive my RS3 front grill from xenonz today, and I was not sure to be able to manage the installation on my own !
Don't have the front sensors too, and I think I will have to remove the sensors brackets that are fixed on it.20160119 101300

Good looking mod. I'd like to maintain my S3 badge. Is it easy to remove the badge from the original grill and attach it to the RS3 replica grill? Looks like it's been done in post #24. Or was that at an additional S3 badge?

The badge is easily removed from original grill but will not fit the rs3 grill unless u found some way of glueing it on.. I used the base of the rs3 badge but stuck my s3 on it, only problem is it's a bit big I will post a pic up to show u
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453218994250759

Reactions: gamma_500
Thanks a lot for your guide that was very helpfull for this RS front grill installation !
Calandre RS 2
Calandre RS

There's something about this grille which doesn't look right. Proportionately the 4 rings just seem too low. I'm not a fan I'm afraid guys. Sorry. Don't shoot me.

Hello,
You're totally right, I have seen that at the end of the installation, the 4 rings are a little bit lower, maybe a little bit smaller too and not at the same angle compare to the OEM RS3 grill, It looks a bit strange.But not visible by Audi's strangers, but a shame for us. I will have maybe a look to the "real" RS3 grill, but the pb, I don't have the Quattro transmission !!!

Grill from Xenonz UK :
Calandre RS

OEM RS3 Grill:
RS3 Front Grill

Hi,
Anyone know where jimbojet got his grille from (post #24)?
That's the look I'm after but the only manufacturer with precisely that look I've found online is Emmanuelle Design. But they couldn't confirm their grill fits the sportback.

How safe is it to have the crash sensor that low? Hitting something that low isn't hard at all.. Some guys said that the airbag can react slower being of it's regular place.. witch is behind the plate.. heard something about this?

just putting this thread back up, i used this guide to install mine and it was very helpful however connected it all back up and the front sensors have a issue, they are crossed out on the MMI. im sure i heard them click into place as well as the connector at the bottom bumper. now the front sensor switch is flashing. any ideas on what it can be to the people that had problems?

just putting this thread back up, i used this guide to install mine and it was very helpful however connected it all back up and the front sensors have a issue, they are crossed out on the MMI. im sure i heard them click into place as well as the connector at the bottom bumper. now the front sensor switch is flashing. any ideas on what it can be to the people that had problems?
Need to get the car scanned in order to see what errors are reporting. Given physical works have taken place I am willing to bet its a wiring issue.

Need to get the car scanned in order to see what errors are reporting. Given physical works have taken place I am willing to bet its a wiring issue.
Ah really... I was talking to a member that had vcds... Arrgh wish I hadn't started now...Knew this was going to be a too bigger job for me..Got the bumper off again I struggle with that bottom connector each time..Hard to unconnect

Ah really... I was talking to a member that had vcds... Arrgh wish I hadn't started now...Knew this was going to be a too bigger job for me..Got the bumper off again I struggle with that bottom connector each time..Hard to unconnect
If you are based in / near North London you can pop over for a scan.

Ah ok sorry mate i thought you were local..I've still got the bumper off at the moment. Don't suppose you have seen that sort of problem before i know its very vague. Thanks

Thread revival! About to fit my grill later today but I have front parking sensors on my S3 (meaning they are grey) will these need to be painted black for the RS3 grill or do you think ill get away with cutting some wrap - just worried the wrap will mess the signal up and cause the sensors to detect an obstacle or something...……...

Hi Craig,

I'd like to know this also as I'm taking delivery of my S3 in march and will be looking to change the grill. I think the grill the car will come with is chrome so the sensors probably are chrome too. I want to replace the grill with a black grill with chrome outline (much like the S-line grill rather than the RS3 grill).

Good luck with the fitting and please update me on how it goes (and pictures) ;)!

Tony

Will do, I think there is a cap between the sensor and the grill based on the original post.... If it is painted then I cant see why a tiny piece of vinyl should hurt. mine is the grey / chrome grill and replacing with the quattro version in gloss black.
Will put pics and conclusion on here as soon as finished - Wish me luck!

Fantastic, I look forward to hearing from you once its complete. Good luck and hope it all goes smoothly! Can i ask where you sourced your new grill from?

So the bumper is assembled less the parking sensors. They need to be painted. Plus managed to retain the original S3 badge which is a bonus. Just can’t decide if to keep the foam or not. I have wrapped the reinforcement beam black as you can see it either way.

Attachments

• 7B75B59E-1783-4F2A-B42C-200A1C97A273.jpeg
    7B75B59E-1783-4F2A-B42C-200A1C97A273.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 508
Unless you have a black edition you won’t have the black sensors on the grill

Attachments

• EFC26D07-EB6C-4049-B8CC-080013B5E304.jpeg
    EFC26D07-EB6C-4049-B8CC-080013B5E304.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 487
Fantastic, I look forward to hearing from you once its complete. Good luck and hope it all goes smoothly! Can i ask where you sourced your new grill from?
I found a uk seller on eBay. Wanted it to be as original as possible. Ie the partterned honeycomb and placement of Audi rings etc. Only issue is the recess behind rings doesn’t have vents. It is removable and could mod it but will live with it for now. Seems well made though.

Many thanks, that’s all really useful. Do you recommend any particular paint product to cover the sensors? I assume this won’t bork the sensor capability? Hope it all went smoothly, the grill looks stunning btw :)

Thanks Will have to spray the sensors. I’ll flat the paint off that’s there and apply a light coat of gloss black. The originalfinish there now is painted by Audi as you can see where they have been masked and sprayed so I don’t think this will be an issue.

Many thanks for update, that’s great. I look forward to swapping mine out when I get the car. Sorry for all the questions but I have another... what did you use to coat/cover the reinforcement bar behind the grill? Cheers