1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting S3 bumper on pre facelift model A3

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by mjepson, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Ash B

Ash B Well-Known Member

[Dec 16, 2008]
    nigel would you like to do me a little favour? Please :)
    And did you get that tesco issue all sorted out after?

Ashley
  2. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Dec 16, 2008]
    Obviously not that well then

Depends on what it is fella?
  3. Lance-22

Lance-22 A3TDI

[Jan 23, 2009]
    how difficult are the sideskirts to fit? i am thinking of ordering some this weekend. what exactly do you mean by new sills and door bottom trims? are these expensive items?
  4. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

[Jan 23, 2009]
    There are a pair on ebay at the moment open to offer, check the Ebay posting above if it helps.
  5. NHN

[Jan 24, 2009]
    1st of all in total they're near £400 or little more once painted/all parts & if you're not versed with cars to well maybe leave to bodyshop, not difficult but savvy helps with these things, the bottom of the doors have a trim screwed to them, this has to be changed as current ones are not wide enough & to tall so the catch the skirts, also the sills are the silver alum & plastic strips that go on the car where the door covers when its shut, the new sills cover the s3 skirts fixings & old ones wont fit as they're to short,

note you must buy the S3 sills, dont buy the slines as they wont fit over the skirts & they're twice the price, you'd think be less as sline isnt as good as S3 but alas

With S3's they have threaded bolts welded to the car underneath which you then fix the skirts to with plastic hand tightened nuts, where as ours dont have these because not an S3 chassis, so you have to sikaflex them underneath to hold them on

Also there's a trim/rub strip at the bottom under the rear windows that you have to remove where the skirts push into to hold tightly, they come already with clips built to the skirts & you need to order the fixings that go under the sills so holds skirts in place aswell, there's 2 parts to the skirts, tiny small piece at front & a long part from front to back

I sikaflexed every part that touched the car even where the clips were so it wouldnt ever move or squeak when loose, hence hasnt moved since lol, still gotta get underneath to finish of so no water creeps into the skirts hollow inside, but they fit lovely, transforms the car & they when pushed on actually roll over the bottoms & clip in the top very well, just take time doing & think about the process interms of order of fitting before rushing into

note when removing the old sills & small trim on rear make sure you remove all the sticky tape that was on car from the old parts as this will affect the fitment & wont be flush, take heed of my warning, its a **** job & took me several hours but trust me you have to remove that ****, I used some thinner to brake down the double sided tape they use & got loads of blisters from rubbing it of(awaiting for a Genie) dont soak it or you'll eat through the lacquer on the paintwork, take time & patients most definitely needed for this job believe me, funnily most satisfying when done, lol

Also dont paint the skirts on the car, do of the car 1st then fit, the end caps on the 2 parts have a blue plastic protective cover on them, leave this on even when painting as this remains black plastic, not painted as wheel arch is black so it corresponds as coloured would look **** & S3's arent painted end caps either, I was lucky I didnt realise this until painted but the painter didnt remove it anyway, resultttttt

I still havnt taken the protective covers of my new sills yet, lol, not finished the car so do when done to finish it of nicely

Just go through etka with parts as I cant list them all sorry, its not hard really
  6. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

[Jan 24, 2009]
    err, like he said LOL. You happier with the fit now? I know you were questioning the gap between the front part & the main side strips. You will need to get some pics of your car up soon.
  7. NHN

[Jan 24, 2009]
    Yeah as always leave it to me, lol

Yeah the gap is normal after checking number of S3's, just thought looked weird but guess they wanted to follow the door line fella, images not for a while yet as got things to do 1st
  8. Lance-22

Lance-22 A3TDI

[Jan 25, 2009]

Your reply was absolutely spot on, very very helpful thank you. [​IMG]
    I picked the sideskirts up yesterday and got the sills aswel :) now ive got them i just can’t wait to get them fitted. The only two things im having problems with now are the two parts in your reply i have listed 1 and 2 above. I can see on my car at the bottom of the door a rubber strip/flap that is screwed on and runs the length of the door. Is this what you are referring to? I assume i just need to unscrew mine and screw the s3 equivalent on? is there a 'technical name' for this item so i can explain to the stealers exactly what it is i want because at the minute they say they have no idea what im talking about and keep telling me they need part numbers (helpful as always). unfortunately i don’t have access to ekta so cant look up the part numbers either :( and that leads onto my problem number 2 i have no idea what to ask for when ordering the fixings that go under the sills? i think once ive got these final two items i should be able to get them fitted :D
    Thanks again your you help NHN
  9. NHN

[Jan 27, 2009]
    Note all these parts for the S3 skirts are on the same etka page 853-00 for 06-09 A3's so you can tell this thick idiot

Yes to number 1, undo the 2 screws & then slide it to the left I think about an inch or so then they lift of towards you if facing the door, paint these of the car aswell & reuse screws, they should come with plastic clip in parts that you fix in place onto these new trims, you will see what I mean when you take old ones of & look on the hidden side for 4 clipped in bits with some threaded metal holes to screw into, these door bottoms/trims are number 6 on that page (check column MODEL for S3, you cant miss that & they are called Cover For Door)

Number 2, Christ your parts guy is really thick or what, the skirt fixings are on the same bloody page as the skirts are & actually they're right next to them linked to them aswell, I mean really FFS, how he cant find these bits is beyond me, the fixings (number 14 & 15 on the page) might say something like you need 8 or 16 but you dont need this many cause I ended up with untold number of these, got money back for unused, check the holes in the skirts each side for how many of each given 2 types(14/15 both used for skirt fixing, not 1 or other), underneath car I used sikaflex & sides & skirts under fixings so no squeaking/movement, dont bother with 16/17 as cant use 16 on non S3 anyway as no welded threads underneath to screw to & fixing 17 should already be on the new skirts you have as clips that push into where you removed old rear trim as mine were, you can always order them if missing, next day usually.