fitting roof bars/rails on my estate???????

codrock

Reaction score
is this a hard job to fit the roof rails to my a4 avant/estate???

or how much will this cost to have fitted??

Do you mean the rails that run along the length of the car? or the cross bars you use to put stuff on?

If you mean the long rails, Most Avants have them as standard, it was a deselect option from the dealer to get an Avant without them.

As for fitting them, it would be a case of getting some bars, removing the headlining and drilling the mounting holes thru the roof skin. Probably wouldnt cost too much to do if you went to a scrappy for the parts.

^^^ Not as straightforward as drilling the mounting holes through the roof. The roof skin on models with factory roof rails is different - besides the obvious holes.

There are 6 reinforcement plates that not only take the load, but also have the threaded posts the actual roof rails attach to. Without having these reinforcement plates, there's no chance of installing the rails.

^^^ Not as straightforward as drilling the mounting holes through the roof. The roof skin on models with factory roof rails is different - besides the obvious holes.

There are 6 reinforcement plates that not only take the load, but also have the threaded posts the actual roof rails attach to. Without having these reinforcement plates, there's no chance of installing the rails.

Siena your wrong,
i fitted them myself, the bars cost £350 ish from main stealer, i got it as a retro fitting kit and it came with paper templates to drill the holes, if you line the templates up properly and drill you will see the plates already in the skin for you to screw the bolts to, i had alot of trouble getting the right bolts from the main stealer but if you need any help let me know and i will ring up main man at the stealer's and I'll see if he can get the order back up so he can find the part numbers for the bolts, it can be done with the right drill, tape measure and file. i got a friend to help...
DSC00855.jpg

DSC02967.jpg

Last edited:
Must be different on B5's then - I know for a fact B4 80 and C3 100 lacked the threaded inserts.

i put a flip sunroof in an old vauxhall once.
always a leap of faith taking drills and jigsaws to the roof of a car!