1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting roof bars and roof box with an open sky system

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by DaiBlue, Mar 7, 2009.

1. DaiBlue

DaiBlue New Member

[Mar 7, 2009]
    Hi All,

I was hoping someone could help me out with a query I've got. I've test driven an A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro this afternoon. The car is absolutely fantastic. It's 2 years old, but only has 4,000 miles on it (from an Audi dealership so no worries there). The spec is great, if a little unusual for a Sport. Brilliant black, upgraded 17" 5 spoke alloys, sat nav (not plus), xenons, open sky, cruise control, rear parking sensors. Bascially it's perfect for me and I want it!! Just debating the derisory price they've given me for my Mini Cooper S Clubman.

My query is regarding fitting roof bars and a roof box to the car, and whether it can be done as it has the open sky system (no roof rails). With being a Quattro, the boot is not brilliant - fine for day to day use, but will stuggle for family holidays with 2 kids and a pram. The ideal solution for those times would be a roof box - I'm just not keen on a bigger car such as an A4 or 3 series.

Has anyone done this to an A3 with an open sky system?

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm hoping to decide by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. redbutcher

redbutcher Member

[Mar 7, 2009]
    Hmm - looks like you might struggle. After market bars don't appear to be compatible with cars without roofrails but that have an open sky roof:

clicky

Not sure if the Audi bars are different - maybe they'll fit?
  4. DaiBlue

DaiBlue New Member

[Mar 7, 2009]
  5. DaiBlue

DaiBlue New Member

[Mar 7, 2009]
    I think I may have found the solution to my problem:

http://accessories.audi.co.uk/accessories/details.do?accessoryId=76

I'm assuming that once the roof bars are fitted, they can take pretty mcuh any roof box? (Clearly I've never done this before - there was a time not too long ago when the words 'roof' and 'box' would never have been used in the same sentence!!)
  6. redbutcher

redbutcher Member

[Mar 7, 2009]
    :thumbsup: - looks like they'll do the job nicely.