1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting reversing Sensors to an AVANT

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by medicpaul, Feb 15, 2011.

1. medicpaul

medicpaul Member

Just received my parking sensors for my avant however was wondering if it was possible to fit them without removing the bumper? Its a B6 2004 model.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User

no bumper off job

4. swarcup

swarcup Well-Known Member

i was told the hole positions are marked on the rear of the bumper so the positions when fitted are correct

5. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User

yes they are

6. scott b

scott b Active Member
    VCDS Map User

you can fit after market ones without removing the bumper, but it is a very fidderly job, much earier to remove the bumper

7. will89

will89 Member

I have aftermarket ones I was going to fit last weekend, can anyone give an explanation to how the reav bumper comes off of an avant?

Thanks

8. swarcup

its quite involved, i took mine off when i swapped over the lower valance. first the car needs to be on axle stands with both the rear wheels off then there are 2 or 3 screws in each wheel arch the fix into the end of the lower valance. There are 2 screws underneith right at the back(you cant miss these). iirc you then need to remove the boot floor,the left and right boot sides and the amp and sub have to be removed, there are 5 nuts each side to remove. i think i also had the luggage hooks out also.Then its just a case of pulling it off the car. i know it sounds quite a lot to do but it only takes 45mins or so

9. will89

will89 Member

Only thing is i can't really put mine on axle stands as my drive is on a slope, so not sure how safe it would be?

10. medicpaul

medicpaul Member

Is it right the rear of the bumper has pre marked locations for the sensors??

11. Woorlord

Woorlord shifting to Hyperspace... .
    VCDS Map User

Not necessary to jack up the rear and remove wheels - wheel arch screws are accessible with wheels in place with Torx bit and right angle ratchet. Worked fine for me.

Yes on the inside - target type cross and circles mark the 4 spots - also on the front bumper too!

12. Cabbyfan

Cabbyfan Active Member

Can you fit the Audi proper ones without coding them, or is it just easier to buy a normal kit and do the wiring them into the reversing lights thing......... I', thinking about it having an effect on DIS / Bulb out kinda stuff....

13. swarcup

yes that would work also. if you have one

14. Woorlord

Woorlord shifting to Hyperspace... .
    VCDS Map User

Audi proper ones?? The factory fitted sensors can not be retrofitted without a new bumper skin and control unit and additional wiring. Coding is via VAG-COM. These sensors are completely flush with the bumper skin.

Audi do do a retrofit kit which they would fit to any Audi requiring them. As mentioned before on other similar threads (check out the search button) the Audi retrofit kit is also available as a "cobra kit" and readily available on the Ebay. These require a 20mm hole cut in the bumper and the control unit wires into the reverse light. It does not affect the DIS bulb out warning as your bulbs would be working.

I got hold of the Audi retrofit kit, (Part no. 8E0 054 630 A), some years back on Ebay ~£100. £20 to get the sensors sprayed the correct Audi colour. DIY fitting.

#13 Woorlord, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  15. Cabbyfan

Cabbyfan Active Member

Nice one cheers