Fitting relentless downpipe and new arb this weekend - any tips welcome

salisbury1985

Reaction score
Hi

As above really got a relentless downpipe and sports cat to go on plus a new standard front arb. Ill be doing with a friend whos a mechanic, so will be done on a ramp to make life a bit easier. Having seen quite a few people say the downpipe is a bit of a pain just wondered if anyone has any advice to make life as easy as possible.

Thanks in advance
Dan

Drop the subframe as much as poss, undo the prop shaft and move it out the way, cut the old downpipe in half at the flexi using the osf wheel arch to get room. I used that wheel arch with numerous extensions and knuckles to undo the dp/turbo studs which helped. Use a two poster ramp. take your time and it'll be ok. Personally I did it on my back under the car on axle stands and as a reward spent 4 hrs in A and E today having my elbow drained after ruining the ligaments in my arm, several weeks off work now lol
You'll be fine, have fun :)

Good luck fitting it! Where do people buy the downpipe and sports cat from as I'm looking to buy one for my car just not sure where to look.. eBay??

i done it with my mate on a driveway took along time. if u got access to a lift or ramp then trust me use that with air tools will make it so much easier and quicker

if you undo the steering column bolt at the base of the column, then undo the dog bone on the box side, then undo the 4 subframe bolts, lower the subframe by doing this the DP will come out complete, no cutting at all needed i changed mine on a 2 post ramp in less than 3 hours, then 2 days later i had to take it off again because it was rubbing on the prop, second time it was 50mins in total to remove and refit

Hi

Thanks for the replies, i like the idea of not having to cut the original so will hopefully get it out in one piece. I dont want to refit it but also dont want to cut it then find an issue with the new one.

Slowcoach that sounds painful, how long did it take you to get the downpipe fitted in the end. Im glad i can get access to a ramp really as i dont mind doing stuff on the drive but i didnt really fancy tackling this out the front of my house.

Hopefully it all goes well.

It took me 8hrs on sunday then 11hrs on monday lol In the end it was only Phill very kindly coming over and lending a hand that allowed me to get it finished. You know when you've been doing something for so long you lose the ability to see the obvious? Well my engine needed to be shifted an inch to allow the studs and holes to match up but I was beyond noticing!
Theres no real reason for you to have an issue fitting the new one, the only real ballache is getting the old one out mate. If you have a ramp you'll be fine

Well got it all fitted yesterday. Went really well took about 4 hours in total. But we also done the front roll bar and give it a good clean up whilst underneath. Also had to cut the hanger bracket and re-weld it. Not bad all in all and well worth th effort for the improvement is made on the car. Feels so much more responsive. Thanks for the tips and advice, was a great help.

Cheers
Dan