Fitting rear brake pads

circleswim

Lacks Car Funds...
Reaction score
Just fitted my new front brake pads with no problems, when I got to the rears, managed to get the caliper off the carrier, but can't get the piston to push back into the caliper to make space for the new pads. I've got the handbrake off and tried just a screwdriver to lever it back in against the disk/old pads like I did with the front brakes but its not working on the rears... Any advice?

unfortunately dont have a G clamp, tried using spring compressors but kept slipping off!
I dont really want to send it into a garage as I should be capable of doing it myself...
any one know how much the tool would cost?

rear pads NEED wound back in due to the handbrake mech. If you dont have the correct tool you can wind and push at the same time using mole grips etc taking care not to burst the rubber gaitor. IIRC its clockwise. Its a lot easier with the correct tool though.

i can second that they need to be wound back i fitted a set of rear pads a while ago and luckly we had the correct tool in work for winding them back

i did the rear pads on my a3, there is a tool you need to do this, it turns the piston and pushes it back at the same time,
think i paid about £12 for it well worth it as its good for pushing back normal pistons as well

Fran, I believe you're from Barry? I'm not a stalker honest! Just observant from previous posts... I'm from cowbridge, any chance I could borrow the tool or something...?

Wind back tool at halfords, small cheese & take lid of brake fluid cap when doing front or rear, dont forget to put back on.

Sorry that was my west coast word, change, money.

Cheers Nige, looks like a trip to 'frauds tomorrow... I mean later today is due.

Got the tool from hellfrauds, nearly fell over when I saw the price £32! Paid the man. Drove home. Jacked up. Wheel off. Caliper off. Old pads out. Removed brake reservoir cap. Pushed piston back using said tool. New pads in. Caliper on. Wheel on. Close brake reservoir cap. Bed in brakes. Job done.

well most garages would charge hrs labour to do it so your still cheaper at £32! Plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Rear pads can be achieved without this special tool I did mine this morning, undo the two half inch bolts that hold your caliper on,remove the caliper then refasten the caliper lining the bottom bolt hole to the top bolt hole as to secure the caliper while your working on it, with a pair of grips turn the piston clockwise being careful not to damage the rubber seal or the piston surface, it will be very stiff but will get easier as you continue, when it does get easier a nine inch angle grinder spanner fits in the slots of the piston as so you won't need to use your grips anymore

I'm about to change my rear discs and pads. I ordered a new Delphi set online, but they didn't ship with the retaining clips. Having Googled this, there are mixed instructions, some for and against. To this end can I just use the old clips?

Attachments

• Clip.jpg
    Clip.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 304
You should be able to use the old clips if they aren't damaged.
I had to use the old ones on mine as Brembo included clips that were too narrow to go around the discs.

When we wound my caliper back in we found it had siezed due to ingress of grime from a badly fitted piston seal.
We did manage to remove the piston and clean everything up, but when we wound it back in the seal split on us. Luckily I had bought a replacement caliper from Euro Car parts and had it on standby. Sadly they didn't sell spare piston seals or I would have got a few in the hope of not needing the new caliper.