1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FITTING MY NEW PRESSED PLATES........................

CHEZ Feb 9, 2012

1. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing Supporter

hi all!
    recently got my self some pressed plates and a pair of number plate surrounds to fit these in!
    fitted the rear plate tonight, and i must say, i love the plates but these nunber plate surround thingy-ma-jigs look a bit pants!
    i left the rear, to see if it grows on me!
    when fitting the front (A4 B7) the number plate surround looks so awkward as the bumper has a curve to it and the plate really needs to fit directly with a slight bend added, rather than in this contraption!
    my last resort would be to drill the plate and fix traditionally, but i was wondering will silicon (i.e bathroom sealant) work to bond plate to my bumper?
    or would this be no good!

2. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

Rears look OK, fronts look odd due to curve as you mention. Leave the front off

3. CHEZ

what do you reccomend then to fix?
    drill through? or bond?

4. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics Supporter Team V6 quattro Audi A8 Team Akoya saloon TDi Audi S8

Go yank.
    Remove it and never have it on.

5. CHEZ

that will make me popular with the plod scott!
    besides, i have 2 big bloody big screw holes in my front bumper that needs covering up dude!
    i am thinking on screwing it on, as i dont think silicon will last outside!

6. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member VCDS Map User

My plate holder mounted ok, Had plenty of flex to it though

7. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

Forget the front one. Try curving the plate by hand and then maybe use number plate fixers, halfords do them.

8. jwhat

jwhat Member VCDS Map User

My plate holder wouldn't fit either so I got some 3M velcro tape and it's held well for the past year and a bit! Double sided sticky pads in Halfords should do the job either.

9. benr

benr Member

You can buy the tape which will hold it on very strong. i gues halfords.

My old plastic ones on my old car were held on with the numberplate tape and i snapped the plate getting them off

10. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics Supporter Team V6 quattro Audi A8 Team Akoya saloon TDi Audi S8

You'll be fine.
    :D

[​IMG]

Don't drill.
    If the holder don't work, bend the plate a bit and go with the others are saying.
    get some proper sticky tape stuff on there. you'll be fine.

11. Monkey46

Monkey46 Member

I've used velcro in the past, when I got my RS4 plate delete I used strong neodynium magnets from ebay mounted to the plaate and behind the plate delete :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]