1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting an intank fuel pump to an S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Westy, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Jul 5, 2011]
    Anyone have any tips for this job? I've heard its a bit difficult and may involve one of Audi's special tools to get the old pump out?!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 5, 2011]
    The only 'special' tool I am aware of is one to undo the plastic 'nut' on the top of the tank holding the assembly in... I use a pair of long nosed mole grips on my A4 when I changed the fuel sender...

See here on mine when I wired the inline in...
    [​IMG]

Would imagine its a complete unit so disconnect the fuel lines and wiring plug, unscrew the locking ring/nut thingy and pull the whole unit out... assuming this also has the fuel gauge sender/float assembly too then just need to carefully negotiate that out the hole... then replace with the new unit and bobs your actual uncle etc...

<tuffty/>
  4. Westy

[Jul 5, 2011]
    It sounds like a pretty scary job messing about with the fuell lines :unsure:

I'll wait till I have the new unit in my hand to see what i'm up against.
  5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 5, 2011]

Its fine mate... there will be an initial leakage due to pressure but you can just loosen the feed going into the fuel rail first as this will mean less fuel potentially floating around in the car and they are push fittings and easy enough to remove... they may need gentle leverage but don't force them...

The pipes are high enough not to syphon much if anything once off... its fiddly more than owt else tbh...

<tuffty/>
  6. Rosso TT

Rosso TT Member

[Jul 5, 2011]
    Alternatively you can use a big flat screwdriver to unscrew the black ring, leveraging the screwdriver in the notches near the holes for the cover screws.
    Once you get that off you might need to prize off the roung lid, it's spring loaded.
    After you get that off you'll see the pump/swirl port, be carefull on unravel the flexi hoses.
    Then you have to take the round rubber seal off otherwise the swirl port won't go through.
    Then move the swirl port slightly to your left, you'll seethe other flexi hose goin to the otherside of the tank, pull it slightly towards to your left and you'll see a connector similar to the fuel filter, unclip it and let it hang there.
    Then near that flexi hose you also see an electrical connector for the other fuel sender, disconnect that as well.
    Then on the right back side of the swirl port there's another flexi hose hooked up to it, lift it up gently and pull it out.
    Hope i've been clear.
  7. Westy

[Jul 5, 2011]
    Cheers guys, I'm sure it'll be clearer once i'm half way through the job ;)
  8. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

[Jul 5, 2011]
    Battery disconection is a must....i have not done it on the s3 but ive done plenty of others, very straight forward, it some times can be a pain getting the angle right to clear the hole..
  9. _G_

_G_ Active Member

[Oct 28, 2012]
    Did this yesterday. So happy. No more hesitation or hard starts.