Fitting an A3 quattro rack

F51

Reaction score
As the title really, how hard is it to change the steering rack in an A3 1.8t Quattro? I have a replacement rack, i also have a replacement crank sensor and just need a few new tyres to mot it

is there a way to do it without dropping the sub frame?

do you guys know of anyone willing to do the job cheap in the southampton area

i changed the steering rack on my quattro a few months back, not to bad of a job, (although i used a ramp at work), the problems you may encounter, subframe bolts may be solid/seized, wd-40 and a breaker bar may help, the powersteering fluid line on the drivers side of the rack is abit awkward, you dont have to drop the subframe completely, remove wheels, track rod ends from the hubs, and drop links form the suspension struts, undo the dogbone mount, undo the steering coloumn from the rack on the inside of your car, just remove the rear bolts and loosen the front bolts, it should (with a axle stand/jack as support) pivot down and give you enough room to remove the power steering fluid lines,all thats left then really is to slide the old rack out and new rack in, cant remember if iv left anything out but thats the gist of it, the heat shield buy the downpipe may need bending out the way, just remember to bend it back,

Reactions: yoursixx