Fitting a new clutch, what else would you do?

Reaction score
I'm replacing the clutch soon, it isn't slipping just juddering which does my head in.
Anyway that's what needs doing, but would you guys change other parts like engine & gearbox mounts?

Flywheel
Driveshaft seals
Tansmission fluid

Just done my wee 206 1.4 hdi and that's what I replace when I did my clutch

The judder 'could' be the flywheel at fault. But you won't know until the old clutch and box is apart.

It's worth checking the mounts whilst the car is in the air and replace if required.

Dan

Cheers for the advice guys, is it an engine out job? The gearbox is a five speed and the gearstick has a fair bit of play, is it worth replacing any linkages?

What engine have you got? I've just had a Valeo single mass flywheel conversion put in my tdi 130 quattro and it changes the power delivery but is good, strong and less moving parts to fail

What engine have you got? I've just had a Valeo single mass flywheel conversion put in my tdi 130 quattro and it changes the power delivery but is good, strong and less moving parts to fail

1.9tdi 130 awx engine mate.

when i did mine i did
clutch
duelmass fly wheel
rear crank seal
but if i did it again i would do box oil gear linkages too

If your DIYing it at home I would take the engine out as those gearboxes are heavy.. especially if your working on a Quattro... a garage however using a ramp would do it from underneath and just drop the box.... I would change the dual mass flywheel too as they fail after a while infact it was the flywheel that started failing on mine before the clutch.... I was also advised to steer clear of a single mass conversion on a Diesel due to the extra vibrations transmitted into the gearbox from the Diesel Engine,,, there's a reason Audi fitted Dual Mass in the first place.... single mass ones have been known to munch the gearbox... i think this is less of a problem on petrol engines

I wish it was a Quattro bud. 1.9tdi 130 fwd awx 5 speed. There is a fair bit of play / sloppiness with the gear stick so replacing the linkages would be on the list along with crank seal and new oil. I would stick with the DMF and not change to SMF. My local garage will do the work, glad to hear the engine doesn't need to come out.