Fitting A Downpipe & Milltek Exhaust and Law

SAiLO

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to fit a Milltek Exhaust (Non Resonated) and a downpipe no my 2.0TDI. That would mean removing the catalytic converter. I would like to find out how it will affect the Tax Band and the future MOT test?

The new tax bands are meant to enter in 2010 and I don't want to be forced to put the old exhaust system back on or pay extraordinary amounts of money in the road tax.

Has anyone got some knowledge in that topic?

Is there any other issues I should consider apart from the insurance costs?

Thanks.

check with your insurance, as far as I was aware its not a legal requiment for a TDi to have a CAT for its MOT, i beleive they are just subject to the smoke test, However my insurance company refused to insure mine if I decatted it.

The tax banding won't change on your car if you take the cat out. However, it is a legal requirement to have one if the car is manufactured with one. Take it off and get caught, and your car can get crushed! It would probably invalidate your insurance too if the car is supposed to have one- but don't quote me on that ;-)
Not having a cat is a bit scummy if you ask me, not only are you adding more polution to the old atmosphere, but the power/torque difference between a fast flow cat and no cat is insignificant!

Just my two penneth.

The tax banding won't change on your car if you take the cat out. However, it is a legal requirement to have one if the car is manufactured with one. Take it off and get caught, and your car can get crushed! It would probably invalidate your insurance too if the car is supposed to have one- but don't quote me on that ;-)
Not having a cat is a bit scummy if you ask me, not only are you adding more polution to the old atmosphere, but the power/torque difference between a fast flow cat and no cat is insignificant!

Just my two penneth.

Typical petrol head rubbish. Diesel car do not need a CAT to pass on MOT neither is it a legal requirement to have one fitted. Removing the CAT will not effect the tax band as it is calculated on the factory engine emissions and is not mod related. Fitting a sports CAT to a diesel is a total waste of time and money which is why most companies don`t bother with fitting them to diesel downpipes.

The CAT in an exhaust doesn`t burn or filter smoke particles so removing it will have no effect on smoke out put anyway.

I agree with Devonmikeyboy, I have had Full Milltek turbo backs fitted to a previous diesel and it made no difference at all to the 2 MOT tests it went in for. You really do not need a CAT on diesel cars.

I am going to get a Turbo back Milltek for my Audi A3 2.0 TDI in the AMD group buy.

does it sound any different if you take the cat off and does it make it any quicker ??

You will not gain any noticable bhp by removing the CAT unless your CAt was blocked for some reason. The main difference will be that the cars exhaust gases will smell different as the CAT is designed to remove NOX gases. Noises from the exhaust will go up very slightly as the CAT is no longer in the way of the sound waves leaving the engine but i have never noticed the difference myself. If you remove the silencer or fit a more free flow example which is there to silence the noise that will make the car louder and free up some bhp as that is where the restriction is in the exhaust not the CAT.

Off topic: devonmikeyboy, i notice in your sig your stripping the car for further upgrades, whats happening to the current upgrades?

How id love to be able to do what you do to your A3 LOL

Off topic: devonmikeyboy, i notice in your sig your stripping the car for further upgrades, whats happening to the current upgrades?

How id love to be able to do what you do to your A3 LOL
I am having a fully rebuilt and strengthend engine/gearbox fitted with all new power mods. I have at least two people wanting my old turbo but until i know this new setup works well as a road car not even thinking about putting my old stuff up for sale.

i hope all will be ok and i will be able steal your old turbo:)