Fitted new suspension!

firestorm

Reaction score
Did the suspension at last.

The pinch bolts were relatively easy on mine. The 2 parts of the wishbones needed more persuasion. Once they were out, I could see either calcification or grease that had hardened and had acted like loctite....

The rear took about 8 hours !!!!!!

Could not work out how to drop the suspension enough to get the rear springs out. Ended up dismantling the rear suspension assembly and still having to use spring compressors and use brute force.

Found out that the rear camber is adjustable. Since I don't have the proper instruments to set it, I ended up having to use a spirit level to set it to 0 degrees. That was with no load, I'm sure on the ground the camber will be different. I always thought the rear camber was *not* adjustable on a fwd.

I nearly gave up, but my friend persuaded otherwise. I found it the most diffcult car to change the suspension on. I'd already did something similar on a Mk2 and Mk3 Golf with minimum fuss.

Well, now it is fitted :

1) front is appr 40mm lower
2) rear is 35mm lower
3) the front springs are progressive, not sure about the rears.
4) all 4 new damper units are much, much smoother than the originals. Originals have 65000 miles on them. They are made by SACHS. There is less compression and more rebound on the new dampers.
5) The finish on the dampers are ok, not exceptional.

specs
System2 springs (Swedish)
Bilstein B4 dampers
S4, 20mm rear arb
A4 Avant TDI 130 2002 originally on SE suspension

The eating ?
Its much more comfortable now.
Body control is better.
Looks a lot better, before you could mistake it for an A4 allroad
Damping is excellent.
Copes with small bumps a lot better.
Pot holes, expansion joints etc are a little more noticeable, but only marginally so.

Summary, the suspension is now how it should have left the factory. I'd say it is just right for 90% of people. The rest may prefer something sportier. In that case I'd go for the Bilstein Sprintline, the mono-tube, usd type in conjunction with harder springs, maybe the H&R sportsprings, for a more sporty ride.

The springs and dampers cost me less than 300gbp...

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Great write up Firestorm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

It would be interesting to see how your set up compares to the OE Sport and S-Line.

I'm happy with mine now I've got the RS4 RARB but would love a set of KW V2 coilovers just for the 'bling' factor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi Firestorm,

Nice post.

What size of alloys are on your car? I have same car, TDI Avant SE, and have fitted 18" RS6 reps, I always fancied lowering but did not want to turn a smooth running car into a bone rattling one. The roads up here can be pretty poor and as for those damn speed bumps, they're everywhere these days!
Do you have any pics of the car, to show before and after lowering?

Glad to hear you got it done,you was lucky with them pinch bolts.Its the hardest suspension ive done aswell,have done loads before but this set up was a right pain.I ended up using a koni ssk kit on mine with the RS4 RARB and it feels fantastic now.Ditto on the pics,i will post some of mine when i get my new camera.

Cheers guys,
to answer your questions:

D S
I don't have System 2's website - They were recommended by www.proven-products.co.uk. Their website looks really poor, but the people there are knowledgeable, provide great service and prices too. They say System 2 make springs for most european cars. Speak to John.

Instech
I have oem 5 star spoked 17" wheels with Pirelli Rosso 235/45 ZR17 tyres. As for ride quality. I can definitely say it has improved - *dramatically*

Handling is also better. I haven't taken it to any really challenging roads yet. So I will reserve final judgement till then.

Bub
I have yet to try an A4 with sport/sline suspension, but my brother in-law's brother in-law has a car exactly the same car, bar the suspension, so I'll see in a couple of months time.

Is that a SP1 or SP2 ?

I reckon the Bilstein B4 + System2 springs + 20/22mm rear ARB is the most cost effective suspension modification you can make that handles significantly better and rides significantly better than the standard SE setup.

James
Whats the KONI SSK like compared with what you have before ?

Also did you have problems with the rear ?

[ QUOTE ]

James
Whats the KONI SSK like compared with what you have before ?

Also did you have problems with the rear ?

[/ QUOTE ]
The dampers are adjustable,i set them about half way and its brilliant,good over the speed bumps aswell.If i want it softer(which i dont) i can adjust them. I would definatly buy this kit again.I cant tell you how much better it is now.I put the RARB on at the same time as the suspension so dont know how much is down to that but there is no roll /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifThe rears are abit tight to get the springs out,i used the clamps too.

[ QUOTE ]
Bub
I have yet to try an A4 with sport/sline suspension, but my brother in-law's brother in-law has a car exactly the same car, bar the suspension, so I'll see in a couple of months time.

Is that a SP1 or SP2 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one. Keep us posted...

It's a SP1 -
794283-SP1005.jpg

SP2's are White or Black/Silver/Red........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

SP1 are tasty !

Sounds the dogs, especially without the stock exhaust. I remember trying to keep up with one from Sheperds Bush bypass on to the westway. Once we got onto the A40 I managed to keep it in view, for oh ... 15 seconds.

[ QUOTE ]
SP1 are tasty !

Sounds the dogs, especially without the stock exhaust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - Waaaaay OT. But I like to think my SP' has 'a few choice mods' too. That's a full Leo' exhaust system, It's got a WP re-spring and re-valve on the front end, a WP race rear shock and a custom re-map to name a few. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Bub - sounds just right.
the SP1/SP2 makes my multistrada sound like a sewing machine, especially with the clutch rattle ;-)

getting back OT

DS
re springs. I spoke to PP today to give them some feedback. I found out some more info :

The springs are made by a Swedish company called Lesjofors, website is http://www.lesjoforsab.com

You may be able to find a local distributor if you are interested.