First time S3 8L owner.

OPENM2KE

Reaction score
Hi guys I'd like to introduce myself as a potential new member to the forum. I'm Mike from Doncaster in South Yorkshire. I currently drive a 2009 Ford Fiesta zetec S 1.6l petrol. I've owned the car for almost a year now and it has done almost 99,000 miles so I'm looking to get rid of it before it hits the 100k mark. I've always fancied an S3 and I do not value my fiesta to be worth all that much despite the fact it is very well looked after and for the mileage is mint condition. I have located an S3 8L on a 2001 / 51 in silver 210bhp model. It is up at £4000 so I'm looking at using my fiesta as a part ex. The garage is 44 miles from me in Nottingham. I have tried to do my own research on the car but I am after some advice from you guys as to what to look out for when buying one. The car has done 88k miles so it is low for its age on a 2001. Many thanks. Look forward to hopefully buying the vehicle and getting to know some of you on here.

Regards
Mike

Basically I think everyone is trying to say to have a look at the S3 buyers guide in the FAQs lol

The FAQs are in the sticky/pinned threads at the top of the 8L section... loads of info in there worth reading

Welcome to ASN and potentially S3 ownership...

<tuffty/>

Excellent stuff guys. One of if not the only forum I've signed up to where each and every one of you has been helpful. The guides are excellent and I'm very much looking forward to viewing the silver facelift 210bhp model on Saturday. It certainly looks very impressive inside and out and has a FSH with servicing at regular intervals. I shall stick to the guide when looking and ensure I ask all the relevant questions. Could I ask, do the S3 8L have their own forum or uk based Facebook page. I'd love to get more involved. Cheers

Hi Mike, welcome to Audi-sport.net. Hope you find the right car. Enjoy the forum :) x

Drive a few before you buy would be my advice, you may find you prefer a 225 version, does make a difference, particularly in mid range, condition and history are more important than miles IMO, you might find a car at 88k will be getting to that time when things need replacing, a higher miles car will probably have the work already done.

Reactions: Nath76
Marginal difference between 210ps and 225ps facelift models... don't spend more on a 225 because its 'faster' as you would never feel the difference on the road and if planning a map then 210/225 map to the same figures (subject to mods and engine wear)

Don't fall for the 'BAM tax'... get hold of VCDS if you can and scan for fault codes... use any that pop up as a bargaining chip...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Clart
True about "bam" tax, but then again, at least you can pass that on to the next owner when you do come to sell.

I think the BAM is higher insurance but if you are my age insurance is the same price for any car.
If you have an odb dongle

If you have an odb2 dongle and smart phone then you can scan for ecu codes or as tufty suggested a kkl lead and install vcds onto a laptop, but the free version doesnt support "scan all codes" so you need to pick each controller.
Also use the government MOT-history web site to see any advisories, total car check .co.UK gives you similar details for free.

Dont be fooled into a blowing exhaust is a sports exhaust.

I am terrible at buying, and never follow the guides or when I do, i think I missed out on a bargain etc.

Be prepared to need to fix it :)
4k sounds cheap from a garage, when I bought mine garages were selling immaculate one for 4.7k

Good luck I love my car, my wife hates it and wants me to explain why I bought a pinto for daily use as well as a classic car.

Thanks guys. With regards to the 225 version I'm struggling to find one of a decent mileage and price range. Can spend no more than £4500 really, may stretch to £5000 at a push. Ideally want to swap at a garage as I can part ex my fiesta zetec S.

I'm 27 guys. Could someone please explain the BAM tax. As for the bhp I would certainly look into a remap so performance figures would then become irrelevant really. If the car is nice and passes all hpi checks, fault codes etc then I'm happy. It says it has full service history with regular service intervals and a cambelt change at 75k. I wouldn't mind asking about the clutch slave cylinder, gearbox, water pump etc. I would also like to ensure its running haldex oil and filter.

BAM tax is essentially the misconception that the BAM engine code 225ps facelift S3's are worth more than the AMK engine code 210ps facelift S3's... in reality the difference between the two is in software, mechanically they are the same but because the BAM codes have 'more' power then they appear to be incorrectly treated as 'superior' when they are just the result of a marketing exercise at Audi to bring the power up to the same as the TT...

Key thing is to buy the best car you find for the budget you have... don't get hung up or drawn in by a sales pitch stating the BAM 225 is better than the AMK 210 as its really not...

Mines an AMK and it hasn't held me back at all...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: OPENM2KE and Nilz
"Thanks guys. With regards to the 225 version I'm struggling to find one of a decent mileage and price range. Can spend no more than £4500 really, may stretch to £5000 at a push. Ideally want to swap at a garage as I can part ex my fiesta zetec S."

If the silver one is all good, then none of this matters does it? As that one is only 4K - maybe the colour is slower than the blue ones ;-) They are quite basic cars from an interior point of view I find it refreshing, Is it full leather or half suede?

Have you put the reg into totalcarcheck.co.uk yet? they do a free HPI check.

...If the silver one is all good, then none of this matters does it? As that one is only 4K - maybe the colour is slower than the blue ones ;-)

pffft.... silver is the colour of choice for the sleeper ;)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: The Doctor
Hi guys it's full black leather recaro. If I end up buying it I wouldn't mind the black leather interior armrest and also the chrome style wing mirrors I think are a nice little subtle touch. I want to ensure its mechanically sound and electrically sound before I make and quick decisions. I'd also like to know if there is any chance or way I could incorporate any aux cable system for iPhone into the standard head unit. I believe it has the tape deck but 6cd multi changer in the back from the spec guide. I shall get some pics up of the said car for you guys to have a look at later. Thanks

Guys thanks so much for the help honestly. You've all been brilliant. So Saturday morning 10am I'm off to view the car. I'm after some Ali wing mirrors and a black leather armrest for it already if any of you guys could help point me in the right direction. Thanks again to you all.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    773.7 KB · Views: 470
  • image.png
    image.png
    825.6 KB · Views: 535
  • image.png
    image.png
    905.5 KB · Views: 463
  • image.png
    image.png
    556.2 KB · Views: 524
the ali wing mirrors go for loads of money and get nicked a lot from memory.

wonder if anyone could wrap them if the wrap was good enough quality ?

The chrome mirrors go well with the black car don't think you need them with a silver car

These really are beautiful cars :)

shame they are always on axle stands or connected up to laptops :D

So I got it lol. 1 happy owner. Can anyone recommend a good headlight restore kit?

Reactions: jojo, tomjol and Stuart B
The history (documents) I got with my car (1000's spent on it) and the things I need to do with it since I got it, nothing new has broken since I have got it (fingers crossed) I am just finding the things that maybe an AA inspection would have found.

This is a classic car and thus needs to be looked after in that way. I think the things that have been fixed are the common things and I reckon some of the repairs were due to bad setup and driving.

Its not that bad, but I will do the rear drop links and try and get the head light levelling sensor replaced tomorrow - and check the access to anti rollbar bushes tomorrow, if that goes relatively problem free I will try and bleed the rear brakes and measure the discs. and try and check the extent of the exhaust leaks.

depending on success and weather I have front drop links and anti roll bar bushes and then would also try and bleed the front brakes too.

Additionally, I have some codes to check for the clutch switch tomorrow and take apart the glove box to see if the ABS sensor has been disturbed before I buy a new one.

I also have a new sharkfin aerial and diversity aerial amplifer - but that's not important.

Maybe because these S3's are pushing the boundries they are prone to faults due to the strain, from the docs - loads of coil packs have been purchased, several CV joints, twice as many gaitors, a gear box rebuild, electric motor for the seats and sunroof, when it is setup with a MBC @ 30 PSI I can see how it could cause damage - the immense heat generated in the engine will melt plugs etc, the massive pressure on the pipes and the aggressive turbo boost would shred a clutch.

I tried to manually move the rear headlight leveller whose bar was broken and that did nothing to the actual lights - so I reckon once I have replaced it I will discover the head light motor is shot too.

The only annoyance is there is some things I would "like" to do - nothing crazy but I cant do that if real issues keep popping up.

I love driving this car and enjoy working on it - and I have a spare car to sit in traffic with. What I don't want to do is keep it if I am not going to improve and maintain it properly.

Reactions: S3JACKSON
3m headlight restoration kit worked a treat for me. And I managed to find a good condition leather armrest on eBay, then hunted for the mounting bracket in a scrap yard. Personally love the armrest it's great.

Reactions: OPENM2KE
Thanks guys I will be checking out the FAQs and guides etc and yes it is a guy. Y88 MKE is the reg going on in the next few days. Few plans so far:

1) new s3 boot badge £4.29
2) headlight restore kit £20
3) new front and rear aero wiper blades £6.51
4) alloy wheel refurb £200-£250
5) rear window tints £100
6) hammerite caliper paint 250ml £7.20
7) Solvol autosol for exhaust £3.75
8) new roof aerial base and antenna £10.23
9) new pollen filter £12.95
10) new oil dipstick £6.99

That's just a few things I need to do to get this car up to my standards and get it looking clean before I start doing other bits.

I have noticed and heard that it is a common fault for the centre panel of the dash speedo clocks to lose a few LEDs which mine has. Is there a fix or even easy fix for this problem? Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I could also do with a couple of the plastic engine bay cover clips, are these something I could maybe get from halfords?

Cheers guys

Mike

Here's me from yesterday literally a minute after purchase round the corner from the garage

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    549 KB · Views: 402
Reactions: jojo, Stuart B and mark_S3
Looks good Bud, bit of an upgrade from the Fiesta I'll bet, although Fiesta handling is brilliant, so don't over cook it through the bends, it's a lot heavier car. As for armrest and mirrors, eBay, gumtree and forum classifieds are your best bet, I just fitted the armrest to mine yesterday, makes driving more comfortable, even though it does obscure the handbrake a little.

don't re badge it. car looks nice. keep it clean looking

Good to see another Silver S3 within the Yorkshire region.

Enjoy..

Reactions: OPENM2KE
Imo, black badges on silver look good, I prefer people knowing what's just passed them. :)