First Post , Sat Nav Content .

sipod

Reaction score
Hi
I am due to collect my first Audi tomorrow , a 2008 S3 , It has a standard radio & I would like a Sat Nav unit . What's the thoughts on buying an OEM unit over an after market like Pioneer , Kenwood or Alpine . I have done a search but cannot find any info .

The RNS-E units are superb, i recently changed my OEM radio for one, i would bother with aftermarket units as the OEM RNS-E is perfect.

Davie

Really . Ok , Do you need to have the Map DVD in the unit all the time ? or are the maps installed on the unit ?
Simon

Really . Ok , Do you need to have the Map DVD in the unit all the time ? or are the maps installed on the unit ?
Simon

The Maps are on a DVD.

I did what you are thinking to do. I did the install myself after finding a unit. Had a few small issues but after reading the posts here and talking with a member it was all sorted in no time.

The RNS-E is a great unit, I have the 2009 model. Th only thing that I find is lacking is the SD card support, which is basic at best and no speed camera warnings / ways to add custom POI's. It's not as full featured as a Tom Tom but it has never let me down, simple, to the point and does what it says on the box :)

What's the Iphone compatibility like with the RNS-E ? both with music and phone use ?

I've had some issues with the iphone randomly disconnecting from the RNS-E gsm bluetooth. Apparently it's a common issue...

Not had any issues with my iPhone 3G so far, not sure about the 3GS though. Never used it as a music player as I don't have an iPod connection, but that's what the SD cards are for :)

Retrofitting the RNSE is an easy job

Mine already came with sat nav but I wanted the RNSE version so bought it off a reputable ebayer and hey presto, plugged in and away I went!

Any ad hoc cables required if I have the standard CD player installed other than the GPS ?

Any ad hoc cables required if I have the standard CD player installed other than the GPS ?

You should be good to go using the cables which are already behind the dash. If you have Bose then you will need to relocate one of the pins, but it's a simple job. You will also need to get some coding changes made via VCDS.

OK Thanks for that
Any recommendations for a recode in the cumbria lancashire area ? Also where do I put the GPS unit ? Do I need to start removing trim to get it in the roof liner ?

All help is much appreciated

Only thing i don't like about the sat nav on the RNS-E is the 4/5 digit postcode input

If you don't know the name of the road, you're stuffed

Go for the RNS-e mate, after the 2010 Model got released, i`ve seen the prices of the "older" RNS-e`s go down!

Perfect fit for your interior and decent navigation. But if you`re looking for BT + TV + etc you`re gonna need a lot more extras for the Unit :)

I picked up a 2009 unit for £650 recently

OK i needed to buy navigation receiver and BT module, but it was still cheaper than the equivalent Alpine unit that i looked at

I now have an RSN-E unit . It arrived today its a 2007 version with 2009 maps DVD.
Any advise on VAG-COM to set it up in my car would be great , IE getting the S3 logo to show on start up etc