1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Post , Sat Nav Content .

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by sipod, Feb 21, 2010.

1. sipod

sipod New Member

Hi
    I am due to collect my first Audi tomorrow , a 2008 S3 , It has a standard radio & I would like a Sat Nav unit . What's the thoughts on buying an OEM unit over an after market like Pioneer , Kenwood or Alpine . I have done a search but cannot find any info .

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. david_phillips95

VCDS Map User

The RNS-E units are superb, i recently changed my OEM radio for one, i would bother with aftermarket units as the OEM RNS-E is perfect.

Davie

4. sipod

sipod New Member

Really . Ok , Do you need to have the Map DVD in the unit all the time ? or are the maps installed on the unit ?
    Simon

5. N8

N8 Kowalski Details
    VCDS Map User

OEM ftw

6. DJAlix

DJAlix Comfortably Dumb!
    Audi Sport Owner Group Team Glacier saloon Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Audi A3 S-line

The Maps are on a DVD.

I did what you are thinking to do. I did the install myself after finding a unit. Had a few small issues but after reading the posts here and talking with a member it was all sorted in no time.

The RNS-E is a great unit, I have the 2009 model. Th only thing that I find is lacking is the SD card support, which is basic at best and no speed camera warnings / ways to add custom POI's. It's not as full featured as a Tom Tom but it has never let me down, simple, to the point and does what it says on the box :)

7. sipod

sipod New Member

What's the Iphone compatibility like with the RNS-E ? both with music and phone use ?

8. rhys084

rhys084 Member

I've had some issues with the iphone randomly disconnecting from the RNS-E gsm bluetooth. Apparently it's a common issue...

9. DJAlix

DJAlix Comfortably Dumb!
    Audi Sport Owner Group Team Glacier saloon Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Audi A3 S-line

Not had any issues with my iPhone 3G so far, not sure about the 3GS though. Never used it as a music player as I don't have an iPod connection, but that's what the SD cards are for :)

10. Boydie

Boydie Boycie
    VCDS Map User

Retrofitting the RNSE is an easy job

Mine already came with sat nav but I wanted the RNSE version so bought it off a reputable ebayer and hey presto, plugged in and away I went!

11. sipod

sipod New Member

Any ad hoc cables required if I have the standard CD player installed other than the GPS ?

12. DJAlix

DJAlix Comfortably Dumb!

You should be good to go using the cables which are already behind the dash. If you have Bose then you will need to relocate one of the pins, but it's a simple job. You will also need to get some coding changes made via VCDS.

13. sipod

sipod New Member

OK Thanks for that
    Any recommendations for a recode in the cumbria lancashire area ? Also where do I put the GPS unit ? Do I need to start removing trim to get it in the roof liner ?

All help is much appreciated

14. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

Only thing i don't like about the sat nav on the RNS-E is the 4/5 digit postcode input

If you don't know the name of the road, you're stuffed

15. aristides

aristides Member

Go for the RNS-e mate, after the 2010 Model got released, i`ve seen the prices of the "older" RNS-e`s go down!

Perfect fit for your interior and decent navigation. But if you`re looking for BT + TV + etc you`re gonna need a lot more extras for the Unit :)

16. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

I picked up a 2009 unit for £650 recently

OK i needed to buy navigation receiver and BT module, but it was still cheaper than the equivalent Alpine unit that i looked at

17. sipod

sipod New Member

I now have an RSN-E unit . It arrived today its a 2007 version with 2009 maps DVD.
    Any advise on VAG-COM to set it up in my car would be great , IE getting the S3 logo to show on start up etc

18. DJAlix

DJAlix Comfortably Dumb!

Best place to look for Coding information would be in the Satnav section of this forum. Is loads of info there and a few guides.

19. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

Here you go....
    http://audiforum.us/knowledge-base/62-vag-codes-rns-e.html