First post for a while....

Drystone

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls

Haven't posted for a few months mainly for work reasons, ie I've been stupidly busy. Hi to all of you that I've met, hope you're all well, whens the next Buxton meet by the way?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've opted out of the company car scheme and I thought I'd post a pic of my new motor.

I've got myself a TTC 225 in avus silver with red leather (haircut anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). It's a 52 reg and had 14500 miles on the clock when I got it. It was a tough choice as to what to swop my trusty Golf for, especially seeing as it was remapped and went like stink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I test drove a Honda S2000 (inspired by S3Moff) but although it was a lovely car it just didn't feel as fast as it obviously is looking at the performance figures. All down to the lack of torque but the VTEC was fun though.

I then drove a Mondeo ST220, much to Al Bs amusement. Don't ask why, I just think they look quite nice and EVO ran one as a long termer and gave it glowing reports. My opinion was that it felt dog slow, which surprised me given the power and torque that the engine puts out. I also realised that at the end of the day it was a Ford and would depreciate horrifically so probably wasn't a sensible choice.

I had a look at a BMW 330i but couldn't get a test drive, I also decided that I really wanted quattro on whatever car I bought. Some one suggested an R32, which I hadn't considered because it's just another Golf at the end of the day, how wrong I was!

On a visit to Smith Knight Fay in Bolton (Audi and VW dealerships right next to one another) I drove an R32 and a TT back to back. I loved the R32 and very nearly bought it. It looked amazing in that pearescent blue colour with full black leather interior. To drive it was superb, mainly due to the peach of an engine although it handled very well as well. My only gripes were the poor fuel economy and the fact it didn't feel as quick in first gear as the TT I had driven previously, it felt like something was holding it back but in the upper gears it just flew. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Like I said I nearly signed on the dotted line but I calmed down, took a deep breath and marched round to the Audi dealer next door to test drive the TT. It felt good, quicker off the line but about the same as the R32 once moving. I also noticed that the engine actually makes quite a muscular growl although not a patch on the R32. After thinking about residuals, servicing costs and fuel economy I decided to buy the TT, it was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made but a nice decision /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I've had it for a month now and it's great. The quattro traction out of bends is amazing and it's so nice to be able to use all the power even when it's wet. I know there's a lot of TTs about now but I still think it looks pretty special, especially the interior with red leather. A friend commented that it looks like a mobile brothel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Other things have been happening since I last posted. I'm now a married man, which is nice. Almost as good as the wedding day (if not better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) was the day before when I borrowed my bosses Aston Martin Vanquish. What a day that was, a truly awesome car. The noise and power were unforgettable as was the sinking feeling I had when it got stuck in 3rd gear and broke down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Luckily I'd had my fun by then and ringing Aston Martin breakdown service was an experience in it's own right. The recovery guy couldn't tow it because it was stuck in gear and wouldn't crane it because it was too expensive a car and he couldn't risk damaging it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In the end I just left him the keys and an Aston Martin technician was going to have to travel to where I left the car and attempt to fix it. I had more important things to worry about like getting married the next day.

Anyway, apologies for the epic post.

Cheers,

Christian

Great to have you back mate. 'bout time.

I've been in Christians TT, and IMO its got to be the best colour combination for this car.

Great picture mate.

AL

Welcome back Christian.

When Al told us you'd thrashed that Aston, he never said anything about you completely killing it.

Anyway, good to see you opted for the family car in the end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hey m8,

Good to have you back!

Well i must say thats a lovely TT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif!!! Good choice!

Rich

Hey sweet car, looks very clean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
Am new to this forum and am trying to make new friends, so maybe i'll talk to you later and congrats on your new life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Welcome back Christian, hope your wedding day was great!

My S3 is in for bionics on the 17th of November, so organise a meet and I'll take you for a spin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan

Thanks for the comments guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

We are overdue a Northern mini meet. Should get one organised I guess.

One more pic below, taken a couple of hours before I went down the aisle. Had to rope the TT into wedding car duty seeing as the Vanquish was out of action. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

Christian

Hi Christian, good to have you back! Love the motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif! As for the comment:

"Haven't posted for a few months mainly for work reasons"

are you sure? I haven't seen many orders come through /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif only kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ....

Also congratulations on the wedding!

Hi Dave,

Have a word with Mark Halliwell, we've spent a fortune! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Putting a big new WAN in place so what with leased lines, ADSL services plus firewalls it's a nice bit of business for you guys.

Cheers,

Christian

looks great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

northern meet sounds like fun.

[ QUOTE ]
Drystone said:
Hi Dave,

Have a word with Mark Halliwell, we've spent a fortune! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Putting a big new WAN in place so what with leased lines, ADSL services plus firewalls it's a nice bit of business for you guys.

Cheers,

Christian

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, i've seen it come in, very much appreciated!! In fact i'm dealing with the provision of the 10MB LES, so i'll keep you updated on it by work channels.

Anyway before I run massively off topic i'll shut up. Going back in the general direction of the topic, I'll probably see you at the next northern meet.

Dave,

Can't we start a 10MB LES Update thread? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Christian

Agghhh I have enough of all this stuff at work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I reckon us lot could start our own IT company!

[ QUOTE ]
Drystone said:
Dave,

Can't we start a 10MB LES Update thread? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Christian

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif don't think we'd get many views/posts though!

IT Career = nice motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif