1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First oil change, When? also, installing a stereo?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by bluetybo, Apr 17, 2006.

1. bluetybo

bluetybo New Member

[Apr 17, 2006]
    The service guys at the dealership tell me that they will make my first oil change at 8000 km or 6 months. I thought its wise to change your oil soon after purchasing (during the break-in period at about 1000 km) because of the extra metal fragments that occur while braking in your new car. Are Audi engines an exception to this? When did you make your first oil change?

Also I want to put my subs and amp in the hatchback (what we call it down here in Canada, eh) any tips on removing the factory cd deck would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 17, 2014]

3. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Apr 17, 2006]
    As far as the oil change is concerned, all new A3s that come to the UK are set for Audi Variable Service where the car tell you when a service and oil change is required. Special long-life oil is used. Most people get 15-18k miles before this is due and this is the first time the factory fill of oil is changed. If anyone is not on the variable service then the first oil change is due at 10k miles.
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 18, 2006]
    Which is pretty stupid as far as I can see, what's the big deal with getting an oil & filter change @ 1k miles? Just seems sensible to me (especially with a turbo) We had to force our dealer to do it when our A3TS was new.
  5. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Apr 18, 2006]
    Unless of course the oil put in at the factory is not normal oil but oil specially formulated for a new engine and is designed to be in there for the first say 10,000 miles or so.

Then by changing the oil and filter for 'normal' oil after only 1k miles you've probably caused more of a problem that you have solved.

As described to me by a senior guide on my last factory visit when I asked a question about changing the oil on a new engine.
  6. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 19, 2006]
    That makes sense, but can't quite see how changing the oil can cause a problem, just possibly unnecessary at worst. Also I don't think they've made an oil yet that can dissolve any metal swarf floating around in the engine but I'll take Audi's word for it.