Help Please .First MOT, brake fluid change, warranty Checks and a remapped S4

V6_Man

Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Folks,

My B8.5 S4 is booked in tomorrow for her first MOT, brake fluid change and out-of-warranty checks.

I ran a scan the other day using Carista and it showed one error re: ABS however, there is no warning on the DIS, at all. Below is the error that I got (and still showing after I cleared it):

ABS
Part #: 8K0907379CP
Coding: 295DCC01 (hex)
Component: ESP8 quattro
Fault codes:
00493 ESP-Sensor Unit (G419)

As I am using Carista, which is limited in functionality it doesn't give me anymore details then what I have listed above however, having looked at Ross-Tech wiki there can be three possible causes (carista doesn't list any of the below error types but only above)

• Implausible Signal
  • No Signal / Communication, and
  • Defective
I have informed Oxford Audi about it and they will look at it as part of out-of-warranty checks.

Also, back in July last year when I bought the car I had the brake pad light come up on two occasions and the second time Oxford Audi replaced wiring harness for the N/S/F brake pad warning system (I have the proof of work carried out and I am sure they will have a copy too).

Problem Statement :)
I have my S4 remapped, lowering springs installed and rear ARB fitted. The remap and all the other mods were done after the wiring harness was replaced.

As part of warranty checks and any fixes thereafter, do you guys think Audi would honour the warranty and fix the ABS issue as part of it being identified within warranty period. And if not, how likely it is that they will blame the remap and the mods for the ABS error. And if that is the case, i.e. them blaming the error what would you helpful lot suggest my line of action should be.

Other bits
As part of warranty checks etc, is there anything I need to be aware of, i.e. ask them not to touch/do to the car to make sure they don't mess up with the map. For example; updates etc. (off course I will have no-washing signs displayed when I drop off the car)

Many thanks for your help!

@Sandra - would you be kind enough to add "Help please!" as a prefix to my thread title please. Just wanted to make sure I get replies before I drop off my car with the dealership tomorrow :D thanks

Reactions: Sandra
State you do not want any software or firmware updates as you are happy with car and (even know it's s4 and won't need emission update) that hearing about emission update has scared you about software updates.

No washing inside or outside. State these to service advisor.

Chance your arm
About abs error. The error will be dated in Vcds tho with mileage bud.

Reactions: V6_Man
@Sandra - would you be kind enough to add "Help please!" as a prefix to my thread title please. Just wanted to make sure I get replies before I drop off my car with the dealership tomorrow :D thanks
All done Tashfeen, made you a custom prefix, :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound, jdp1962, Chop. and 1 other person
State you do not want any software or firmware updates as you are happy with car and (even know it's s4 and won't need emission update) that hearing about emission update has scared you about software updates.

No washing inside or outside. State these to service advisor.

Chance your arm
About abs error. The error will be dated in Vcds tho with mileage bud.

Cheers bud, much appreciated! And how can I miss the fact that VCDS time-stamps all the errors.

Last edited:
Good luck with the first mot mate I'm sure it will blast through

Sorry iv not got any answers for you Iv never done the warranty thing and don't use the stealers hope you get on ok :sunglasses:

As mentioned above, state you don't want any work without prior approval, including software updates of any sort.

What do you mean by out of warranty checks?

I've not run a modified car under warranty for some time, but when I did (B5 RS4, with map, exhaust, wheels etc) I never mentioned it was modified, and never got confronted.

I had all sorts done (and I mean bills running into probably not shy of £10k) and no one said a word.

Play dumb, and face it as and when it happens.

Good luck!

Ben

Good luck with the first mot mate I'm sure it will blast through

Sorry iv not got any answers for you Iv never done the warranty thing and don't use the stealers hope you get on ok :sunglasses:

Cheers @Chop. Let's hope. Getting a bit concerned now as Carista threw three more faults codes just now:

CAN network gateway
Part #: 8R0907468P
Coding: 80CF07FF00 (hex)
Component: GW-BEM 5CAN-M
Fault codes:
00384 Optical Databus

I ran VCDS scan on 13-06 and this error came up before we activated ADS. Below is the detail:

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: 8T0-907-468.clb

Part No SW: 8R0 907 468 P HW: 8R0 907 468 D

Component: GW-BEM 5CAN-M H11 0060

Revision: 1Z120030 Serial number: 3041Z144130724

Coding: 80CF07FF00

Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000

VCID: 4C976AB7EF16F42145-8018

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8T0 915 181 HW: 8T0 915 181

Component: J367-BDMHella H03 8041

Serial number: 8867903103

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8K0 959 663 B HW: 8K0 959 663 B

Component: J532_DCDCStab H05 0006

Serial number: 14104002546021200410

1 Fault Found:

00384 - Optical Databus

011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent

Component: H-BN-EU
Fault codes:
02067 Optical Databus Unauthorized Awakening Request

Same as above. It looks like it is to do with VCDS/Carista trying to access the ECU. Not sure. Will ask the question tomorrow or perhaps if someone can help. Detailed report of scan back in June below:

(Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels: 4E0-035-6xx-5F.clb

Part No SW: 8R2 035 666 E HW: 8R2 035 666 C

Component: H-BN-EU H47 0793

Revision: -------- Serial number: 206DX0E7561732

Coding:110101000206A1EF01828B5E00000403E40000020000000000

Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000

VCID: 3B75396BBAB84399FC-806E

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 8R0 060 884 BK

Component: EUR 2014 1703

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8R0 919 604 A HW: 8R0 919 604 A

Component: DU7 High H42 0104

Serial number: A130DG0E3004812

Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 8T0 919 611 L HW: 8T0 919 611 C

Component: E0380 Bedient H02 0030

Serial number: 00000001837452

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 8R0 060 961 F

Component: CD-Database 5571

1 Fault Found:

02067 - Optical Databus; Unpermitted Wake-Up Request

000 - - - Intermittent)

Structure-borne sound
Part #: 8K0907159
Coding: [none]
Component: SAS-GEN 2
Fault codes:
00006 Manufacturer-specific code

No ****** clue what this is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned above, state you don't want any work without prior approval, including software updates of any sort.

What do you mean by out of warranty checks?

I've not run a modified car under warranty for some time, but when I did (B5 RS4, with map, exhaust, wheels etc) I never mentioned it was modified, and never got confronted.

I had all sorts done (and I mean bills running into probably not shy of £10k) and no one said a word.

Play dumb, and face it as and when it happens.

Good luck!

Ben

Cheers mate. When I booked in the car they said they will do warranty checks before handing back the car and if there is anything they will fix it as tomorrow is the last day for the car under warranty. So my assumption is that the fact I have mentioned it to them beforehand that they will do something about it. As mentioned above VCDS time-stamps the errors and it appears last checks I did before the mods, i.e. Springs, Exhaust, ARB etc it came up with only one error, which was to do with ABS and three more tonight.

Sometimes, I believe knowing less is better, isn't it.

Reactions: BenSfour
Don't panic mate.

We're all adults so have a sensible conversation as and when it arises.

I think the only drama I ever really had was about a corroded strip above the number plate on the boot lid. On a 2 year old car that wasn't really something we should be bickering about. The fact it was running lots more bhp and sounded twice as loud as it should wasn't relevant!

I'll be in the same position as you in 10 months when I'm in for MoT protection/ end of warranty on my white B8.5 S4 so I'm rather interested in your post.....

Don't panic mate.

We're all adults so have a sensible conversation as and when it arises.

I think the only drama I ever really had was about a corroded strip above the number plate on the boot lid. On a 2 year old car that wasn't really something we should be bickering about. The fact it was running lots more bhp and sounded twice as loud as it should wasn't relevant!

I'll be in the same position as you in 10 months when I'm in for MoT protection/ end of warranty on my white B8.5 S4 so I'm rather interested in your post.....

Cheers bud and thanks for reminding the £750 MoT protection, completely forgot about it .

Well, we'll find out tomorrow as to where we stand with all the mods and the errors. I am sure it will be fine and dealt with accordingly. I will play a wise man re: software/firmware updates and car wash and a dumb a** re: all the other mods except for the exhaust and rear carbon fibre diffuser

And finally, when Audi couldn't diagnose a hesitancy under load on the RS, I suggested we change the diverted valves out from the plastic ***** as standard to some shiny Forge 007's (if anyone is old enough to remember those babies) and that cured it. I supplied, they fitted modified parts for free under warranty.

14 years later I'm next back at the same dealer buying my S4.

Reactions: 344bigal, scotty76 and V6_Man
@Sandra - you are a star! I just can't thank you enough for that - much appreciated!
No problem. Now relax and don't worry about the car. It will all be ok. You be on here later telling us how it all went smoothly. Have a good day, it's Friday and the weekend is nearly here. :)

Reactions: ruairi83 and V6_Man
And finally, when Audi couldn't diagnose a hesitancy under load on the RS, I suggested we change the diverted valves out from the plastic ***** as standard to some shiny Forge 007's (if anyone is old enough to remember those babies) and that cured it. I supplied, they fitted modified parts for free under warranty.

14 years later I'm next back at the same dealer buying my S4.
Forge 007, that takes me back to my MK 1 Leon Cupra.... happy days. :)

Reactions: V6_Man and Sandra
I wouldn't worry about the carista too much if you didn't have it and there no faults on dash you would be none the wiser

Reactions: V6_Man and Sandra
I think it would be a mistake to go into them with a long list of fault codes, as that may make them want to delve deeper, which inevitably means hooking the car up to the Audi brain, at which point any ECU modifications will become visible.

Good luck with the visit, and let us all know how it goes :racer:

Quick update.

Had a meeting in Southampton so decided to pop-by Oxford Audi to see if car was ready. Not yet!

However, some good news! She passed the MoT with flying colours and they are currently changing brake fluid. So, fingers crossed. Will update as soon as I hear from them, hopefully around 5-ish.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, ruairi83, RAF_S7 and 2 others
Apologies for the delay in updating it had been a very busy day since 7:00 in the morning.

So, the car passed its first MoT and brake fluid changed and imo the brake and the bite is now exactly how it should be. Whilst I know it should be done at 3 years part of me thinks 2 is just about the right time to change the fluid

I picked up the car @6pm and although I had said I wanted to meet the 'master-tech' to understand exactly the end-of-warranty checks they carried out there was only one guy waiting for me to pick up the car, which is understandable. It is Friday, 6pm and everybody wants to leave. And had I not called them I don't think they were going to contact me and tell me the ready was ready for collection. Well, wasn't expecting anything better from Oxford Audi and glad they didn't disappoint.

However, the concerning thing was that the final report said they couldn't find any fault codes (specially the ABS one that I mentioned) when they ran the scan which I am not sure is a good thing or bad. It makes me question if they actually carried out any end-of-warranty checks. The reason I ask is because when I left Audi Ox @3pm they had just started changing the brake fluid. To finish the brake fluid change, run the scan and do the visual checks as well as end of warranty in 2.30 hours, I am not convinced. Also, how can VCDS not pick it and Carista can - I find it slightly difficult to understand.

I will call them tomorrow morning and would ask if I could speak to their master-tech and find out exactly what had happened, what did they do as part of warranty checks.

Reactions: ruairi83
Apologies for the delay in updating it had been a very busy day since 7:00 in the morning.

So, the car passed its first MoT and brake fluid changed and imo the brake and the bite is now exactly how it should be. Whilst I know it should be done at 3 years part of me thinks 2 is just about the right time to change the fluid

I picked up the car @6pm and although I had said I wanted to meet the 'master-tech' to understand exactly the end-of-warranty checks they carried out there was only one guy waiting for me to pick up the car, which is understandable. It is Friday, 6pm and everybody wants to leave. And had I not called them I don't think they were going to contact me and tell me the ready was ready for collection. Well, wasn't expecting anything better from Oxford Audi and glad they didn't disappoint.

However, the concerning thing was that the final report said they couldn't find any fault codes (specially the ABS one that I mentioned) when they ran the scan which I am not sure is a good thing or bad. It makes me question if they actually carried out any end-of-warranty checks. The reason I ask is because when I left Audi Ox @3pm they had just started changing the brake fluid. To finish the brake fluid change, run the scan and do the visual checks as well as end of warranty in 2.30 hours, I am not convinced. Also, how can VCDS not pick it and Carista can - I find it slightly difficult to understand.

I will call them tomorrow morning and would ask if I could speak to their master-tech and find out exactly what had happened, what did they do as part of warranty checks.

Maybe they cleared them and they didn't show. You will know when you scan yourself.

Glad it's done now though bud

Maybe they cleared them and they didn't show. You will know when you scan yourself.

Glad it's done now though bud

If it aint broke dont fix it :tonguewink:

no dash faults no faults i say :sunglasses:

Reactions: ruairi83 and V6_Man
Guess I need to relax. I have a habit of overthinking and stressing. Completely unnecessary!

Reactions: Chop. and ruairi83
haha only playin

i know what you mean mate once somethings in the head theres no getting away from it

I've seen Carista either giving a fault code the wrong description or "manufacturer specific code" - but with time they will catch up especially if informed of any wrongly labelled fault codes, for instance, my wife's August 2015 6C Polo had an issue with its air con compressor, the reported fault was correctly tagged as being an AC issue, but the attached ABS valve problem certainly was not correct, so I ran VCDS and it correctly identified the AC compressor control problem. Also Carista had not yet included the code for the Infotainment On/Off switch - which I'm surprised that it had been given a fault code!

Reactions: Chop. and V6_Man
I've seen Carista either giving a fault code the wrong description or "manufacturer specific code" - but with time they will catch up especially if informed of any wrongly labelled fault codes, for instance, my wife's August 2015 6C Polo had an issue with its air con compressor, the reported fault was correctly tagged as being an AC issue, but the attached ABS valve problem certainly was not correct, so I ran VCDS and it correctly identified the AC compressor control problem. Also Carista had not yet included the code for the Infotainment On/Off switch - which I'm surprised that it had been given a fault code!

Interesting, never thought along those lines before. Like @Chop. said it is right in the head and is still bugging me. Will try to avoid it but if not might run a VCDS scan to find out exactly if there are actually any errors. Cheers mate.

Reactions: Chop.
So far, I've never ever had a situation where Carista found something and VCDS did not though. What I have had, is what seem to be considered "low level or low urgency" faults being logged and a few days later these faults have been cleared without any input from me, first time it happened I thought that I "might" have accidentally cleared that logged fault, but then remembered that VCDS tends to run another scan to check that there are no faults remaining - and the next time I definitely did not clear them - and they had vanished a couple of days later, each time I had printed off these logged faults. The reason given for this is that the fault memory would always be full due to insignificant faults being logged!!?? I'd think that if there were no fault conditions, then there would not be any faults logged!

The interesting thing is when I ran the VCDS back in June two out of the 4 did appear but were not picked up by Carista on the first few scans, at all. Then Carista picked up only the ABS one and showed the other 3 couple of days before the car went in for the warranty checks. Where perhaps I made the mistake was to clear them. And it might be that these appeared randomly.

For example; 02067 - Optical Databus; Unpermitted Wake-Up Request" having done a little bit of "research" it turns out that these could be due to aftermarket fog and reverse LEDS that I fitted. And a little bit of more research I found out that @Dippy came across the same fault codes when he bought his S5. Not sure if he managed to fix it or find out the reason(s) why.