First month of Audi Ownership.

mcwharam

Reaction score
I took delivery of my 2.0 TDI Ulta S line A6 just short of a month ago.

I added the Tech pack, heated front seats, interior lighting pack and folding mirrors.

So my first impressions on the Audi experience.

Positives:
Taking delivery was a first rate experience from Crawley Audi, the long drive back to Yorkshire really showed how comfortable and quiet the car was. Despite the stop start traffic it still managed 55 mpg.

Really like the tech pack, the color DIS screen is really impressive and flexible in displaying all the wizardry. With Google maps and even street view makes finding new places really easy.

Mythos black looks stunning when just cleaned - keeping it that way is really hard work.

The quality of finish internally is so much better than any other vehicle I have owned.

Negatives:

Start stop is hit and miss, works fine on 2 out of 3 journeys (even when warmed and none of the situations listed in the handbook present.)

Vagaries with the MMI. I really would like the settings I had I had when I last used the car to be still there the next time it starts. i.e. I want the memory settings for the radio station to be there, each time rather having to select the sub menu on the DIS each time.

There is a mix of LED bulbs and normal filament bulbs in the car which give out different colour of lights. Not impressed with the interior lighting pack, the adjustment for brightness makes little difference and really could have done with being brighter.

The efficiency adviser for gears etc, if followed to the letter can put in you in a gear where the revs drop so far that the car bogs down and struggles to pick up speed.

Finally had issues with the paint finish on the aerial, my local Audi service was shocking - thread found here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/what-is-this-a6-shark-fin.277811/#post-2763113

Overall I am really happy with the car. I am having a front and rear dash cam fitted, and the car ceramic coated in the next couple of weeks.

Martin

Reactions: m.a.r.k and Audimad
Yeah, I've found that start / stop is very hit and miss, a lot of times when it's been on a big run you expect it to cut in at lights, but nothing, then occasionally when relatively cold, she stops every time.

Not sure what's going on with the settings on the MMI, mine seems to be fine, and remembers where it was when I last used it..... Although mine would be the previous system to yours as is 3 years old, so not sure we are comparing like for like.

Mine is oolong grey metallic, which Tbh is a bit flat even when polished, but I bought used and everything else I wanted was on the car.

Keen on a dash cam though, let us know how you get on.

G

Are you using the same key fob each time? The settings are stored against individual key fobs. I've never had problems with my MMI settings.

Are you using the same key fob each time? The settings are stored against individual key fobs. I've never had problems with my MMI settings.
In addition, there may also be a setting in the MMI to disable this feature so you can use either key fob without losing the settings (US C7 has it)

I have only ever used the one key fob, the other one is tucked away in the house. I have spent hours with the manual and believe I have explored every available screen on the MMI - if you could point the way PhilDX via which screens I would be happy to try again.

Only a minor grumble - doesn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the car.

Busy couple of days for the car. Had the Thinkware 750 front and rear camera hardwired into the car yesterday. RAM Mobile, Westgate Wakefield did the work, which was excellent, apart from the obvious wires from trim down to the cameras I cannot tell that they have disturbed the trim at all.

Car is now with Inspired Automotive (also at Wakefield) for two days for a machine polish, then to be sealed with Gtechnig sealant package on the paint, plastic, glass and alloys.

A quick clip already posted on their Facebook page of the work.

Will get some pictures up when I collect the car.

Reactions: Rhyso
I used to buy car stereos from them back in the 90`s lol always seemed good just thought they would have gone by the by now people don`t replace stereos much. Guess they diversified

Reactions: mcwharam
Collected the car from inspired Automotive where it had been for the last two days. I am very impressed with the work carried out and the finish on the car. Mitch the owner has also been able to make the aerial look so much better. I would certainly be happy to recommend his services if you are within reach of Wakefield, West Yorkshire.
Inspired Automotive 1
Inspired Automotive 2
Inspired Automotive 3
Inspired Automotive 4
Inspired Automotive 5

Reactions: gordie1973, Rhyso and DaveW
Well I am in to 6 months and 3,200 miles of ownership of my first Audi.

Car is pretty much as it left the dealership, apart from:

Thinkware Dashcam front and rear install.
1 Stage polish and Gtechniq CSL paint and alloy protection.
All internal lights replaced (even those fitted by Audi) with LED's
Puddle lights to projector SLine ones.
Chrome surround around the external lighting controls (finishes it off nicely).
SLine badge to the front grill and inside on dash in front of the passenger seat.

So my take on the car.

Positives.
  • Still love being inside the car, such a lovely place to be.
  • Having messed around with the drive modes, I am now aware of how much efficiency mode strangles the engine.
  • I love the handbrake and hill hold assist - just one less thing to think about.
  • I love the Tech pack and everything it has to offer, spend a lot of timing waiting for the kids so watching a movie is a pleasant way to pass time.
  • MPG - for a big car and a lot of short journeys I make, getting average of 43 mpg is spot on.

Negatives.
  • Never got the paint issue sorted with Crawley Audi - agreed to pay for the cost of re-spraying the aerial, when they got the quote from Bradford they reneged on it. With a lot of persistence I was given a date to attend at Bradford to meet with a gent who would decide how to deal with the issue, only to find that he was on leave. After 3 trips to Bradford I lost the will to keep plugging away and told Crawley to stuff it. Will not go back there regardless of how cheap the Orangewheels deal may be.
  • The offset pedals causes discomfort in my left hip on long journeys.
  • Start stop still has a mind of it's own.

Despite the negatives, this is still the best car I have ever owned. Going in for an operation on my neck this afternoon, so the car is going to be sat in the garage for quite a while, and i will miss driving it.

Thanks for reading.

Martin

Start / Stop not working is probably caused by DPF Regeneration in progress or not finished.

The start\stop is also very aggressive on the ultra, hope the operation goes well.