First Impression of 2.0 Tdi Start/Stop

Scamps

Reaction score
When I was looking at ordering my car, there wasn't much information on the Start/Stop engine. Now I've done 1,100 mile, I thought I'd post a quick report if anyone is looking at this engine + it's an excuse to post some pictures of my pride & joy.........

As has been said many times before, the engine is very smooth and quiet. The engine cuts out when you lift off the clutch having changed into neutral (+ must be stationary). Touch the clutch pedal to put the car in first and the engine starts immediately with very little vibration. It is possible to catch it out if you are trying to pull away quickly, but you can turn it off or just leave the car in gear if you want.

Economy is around 45mpg with mixed driving (I got around 46 mpg on the same journeys in my 2.0 Tdi PD A4) which is less than expected but will hopefully improve over the next few 1,000 miles. The engine still feels tight too, although it is quicker than my old A4.

Overall, it's a great car and now I've added a few extras I'm looking forward to covering 100,000 miles in it over the next 3 years.

Front mudflaps fitted (rear yet to be done). Visit construction sites regularly, so these will hopefully help. Window tints were also done yesterday (35% from the B pillar back).
P4100776.jpg

Chrome exhaust tip
P4100778.jpg

P4100777.jpg

P4100787.jpg

Bury CC9060 Hands Free kit. Touchscreen looks good I think & voice dial works well. Fitted yesterday, so I'll see how good it is this week.
P4100782.jpg

P4100786.jpg

Nice! But why have audi only put 1 exhaust tip on the 2.0tdi? Thought it was on the 1.6 models :s

^^ For some reason they seem keen to put the single on all diesels apart from the 170... I dont' quite understand why they decided to do it to be honest!

It's a shame they changed the 140 Tdi to a single exhaust as I would have been happier with the twin setup, but nevermind. Maybe they wanted more distinction between the 140 & 170??...

Looking nice. The stop start sounds like a thing you would have to get used to at first but will take for granted down the line.

What I find odd is the facelift has moved on to white LEDs on the cluster but the air con & radio are still red.

Nice! But why have audi only put 1 exhaust tip on the 2.0tdi? Thought it was on the 1.6 models :s

Seems a little odd, then as Scamps says, maybe its to distinguish between the 140 and 170... agree it would look better with a dual one... no reason why you can't mod it though :sorry: :lmfao:

Looking nice. The stop start sounds like a thing you would have to get used to at first but will take for granted down the line.

What I find odd is the facelift has moved on to white LEDs on the cluster but the air con & radio are still red.

Does seem a little odd too :think:

But all in all mate your car looks cracking :icon_thumright:

I'm considering tints myself too but had quite a bit of trouble with my previous A3 (3 Door) I had to have the front tints replaced 3 times due to it pealing off! the 4th time I told them to remove the lot and got a refund.
Also had to have the drivers door rubber seal replaced because the clips had broken due to it being taken on and off so many time.

Having said this though, there are plenty of people out there with tints and had no issues... be interested to see how you get on with them :)

Looks good , thinking of getting this engine myself so pleased with your thoughts . Where is the switch situated to turn off the stop/start ??? Is the single exhaust to do with the low emmisions stop/start engine ? Not quite sure whether the 170 comes with stop/start with the twin exhausts . If you don't mind me asking , how much were the mudflaps ? Cheers .

Looks good , thinking of getting this engine myself so pleased with your thoughts . Where is the switch situated to turn off the stop/start ??? Is the single exhaust to do with the low emmisions stop/start engine ? Not quite sure whether the 170 comes with stop/start with the twin exhausts . If you don't mind me asking , how much were the mudflaps ? Cheers .

The switch to turn off is below the stereo on the far left next to the ESP switch. Single exhaust was introduced with the Start/Stop tech on the 140 & the 170 Tdi does not come with Start/Stop yet + has retained the twin exhaust. I remember seeing pictures of a white 170 '10' reg on here that still has twin exhausts.

Mudflaps were £30 for the front set & £30 for the rear set (the chrome exhaust tip was also £30 ish). Hope that helps + any other questions, just ask. This site has been a big help to me so far, so if I can help someone else, great.

Seems a little odd, then as Scamps says, maybe its to distinguish between the 140 and 170... agree it would look better with a dual one... no reason why you can't mod it though :sorry: :lmfao:

Does seem a little odd too :think:

But all in all mate your car looks cracking :icon_thumright:

I'm considering tints myself too but had quite a bit of trouble with my previous A3 (3 Door) I had to have the front tints replaced 3 times due to it pealing off! the 4th time I told them to remove the lot and got a refund.
Also had to have the drivers door rubber seal replaced because the clips had broken due to it being taken on and off so many time.

Having said this though, there are plenty of people out there with tints and had no issues... be interested to see how you get on with them :)

Thanks for the :icon_thumright:

The tints were done by a friend of a friend and he did a great job applying them. When he'd done the rear window it looked good to me but he wasn't happy and started again... I learnt a lot watching him do some of the work and it seems that using a good quality film and spending the time ensuring the glass is completely clean is very important.

Thanks scamps , might try and squeeze some flaps out of the dealer when i place order , LOL ! I know your wheels are standard for sport spec but i really like this pattern ! How do you find the ride firmness in the sport ? I took an s-line out last weekend and was pleasantly surprised with the ride - didn't seem overly hard to me , and that was after trying to find some potholes in the road . Cheers .

I'm very happy with the ride quality. I also drove a S-line at the beginning of the year & that didn't have as firm a ride as I expected. The Sport seems to strike a good balance between handling and ride, although I spend most of my time on motorways so ride quality is more important to me (+ a bit more ride height helps when I regularly visit work sites!). There are some nasty potholes on my 30 mile commute (seems like everybody is suffering with these currently) and it's no worse than the A4 SE Tdi I had before.