First Impression... Garnet Red Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line

The_life_pursuit

Reaction score
As a long time VAG fan, and having owned a Mk4 VW Golf GT TDI 130, 3dr in Reflex Silver, the time had come to trade it in for something newer. I decided to swap it for a 57 plate Audi A3 S-line 2.0 TDI 170.

I found a one owner example with 52,000 miles on the clock in garnet red pearl:

Audi A3 Sline 20 TDI 170

The car came with a 1 year Audi warranty / breakdown cover and with the following options:

Heated front seats, 6 CD Symphony stereo, 18 inch BBS Speedlines, full Audi history.

So far so good... unfortunately, the car had a chipped windscreen, and a rough idle, and after doing some research, I discovered that the 2.0 TDI 170 engines had injector issues, so the car went back to Audi after only 1 week. It had already had the injector replaced under recall by the previous owner I was advised by Audi, but they said they'd take a look.

In the meantime, the courtesy car I was given was an Audi A5 Sportback 3.0 TDI S-Line Quattro... epic fun!

Audi A5 Sportback 30 S Line 245 TDI Quattro

Got the car back after 1 week, and everything was not as expected. After living with the car for a further week, it had developed a horrendous rattle emanating from the central console near the handbrake, and other assorted rattles that drove me mad on the 35 mile commute. To make matters worse, the CD play had a horrible distortion which I discovered was a blown speaker, and when turning the ignition on there was what sounded like an electrical crackle or short coming from the dash. Finally, the rear ashtray surround was cracked and broken. The steering wheel was also not central.

Cue angry but polite emails to Audi seeking some feedback, as overall I was quite disappointed with the car. With the car booked in, off it went back to Audi for the second time in a month.

In the meantime, they lent me a Q5 3.0 TDI 245 S-Line:

Audi Q5 30 245 S Line TDI Quattro

Had this for the weekend and covered 400 miles, and was thoroughly impressed.

I now have the A3 back, and first impressions are good... the central console has been rebuilt with some sound deadening gel and the rattles are gone. they replaced the head unit and blown speaker, filled the chip in the windscreen, sorted the tracking so that the steering wheel rests level, and replaced the ashtray... all under warranty / goodwill.

Although initially disappointed with the car, I cannot praise Cheshire Oaks Audi's customer service enough. They listened to my concerns, fixed the problems, and didn't pass on any of the cost onto me. As such, they now have a loyal customer and I'm happy that I bought Approved Used!

I'd welcome any comments on my experience, and would like to hear from anyone who's had similar problems with their A3, as i intend on hanging onto the car for a good few years, and would hope these issues are not common.

Last edited:
Some awesome courtesy cars there! Good work! Best thing I can say is at least the niggles are sorted and now you can enjoy ownership :)

I LOVE the a3 in garnet red pearl, modified slightly as is yours

Cheers T8DPR. It is a really nice colour, and seems pretty rare too. Not sure why there aren't more about, but searching on here and Google etc, don't seem to be able to find too many images. The colour was what attracted me to the car initially, but I find people either really love it or really hate it. Not many people sitting on the fence!