First experience in 10cm of snow

Filumo

Reaction score
I have nokian tyres (same profile as summer tyres on same rims). Car (s3sb) went up t he mountain like a boss! No slippage -gave me total confidence! Many other 2wd cars with snow tyres gave up!

Reactions: andywil13
In heavy rain I was pleased with the way it behaved, much like my previous car which also had quattro but a bit more comforting that it has a solid stance and feel.

Did you have traction off? I would assume so.

Glad to hear that. We're picking up our S3 in mid-January and I was a bit worried how such a powerful car would deal with the snow. We're getting it fitted with snow tires the day we pick it up -- Bridgestone Blizzak WS80.

If it ever gets stuck in snow turning the traction off helps.

Thanks for that tip. Neither of our current cars has traction control so I haven't paid any attention on how to use it. As an experienced winter driver I rarely get stuck. Now that we're getting it on our S3 it seemed counter-intuitive to shut it off when stuck but I've read up on it and you are absolutely right. It prevents you from rocking your way out of a hole.

I thought that in my previous car, it actually had little to no grip and I was disappointed thinking useless quattro, turned esp off and it gripped fine.

It is an important distinction - ESP OFF only to help you in very specific situations, like getting out of a snow laden car park, or a very muddy field etc., where you may need to "charge" to build momentum etc., or to rock the car out of a particular spot. Even going uphill on ice/snow - in most cases, ESP ON will be better (see video below).

It would be wise to leave ESP ON or in SPORT when driving on a public road - this will undoubtedly save your bacon. I for one would not appreciate seeing you coming in the other direction spinning out of control.

Unless of course, you think you could do better than Tiff.

Reactions: lucas-suisse and ScottD3
This is the Euro NCAP ESC test for the Audi A3.

The first run demonstrates the emergency lane change, ESP OFF.

Subsequent runs are with ESP ON

A few winters ago I watched a guy ahead of me foolishly brake on an icy, curved, 4-lane bridge. He spun out and ended up stopped, facing me in my lane, about 2 car lengths ahead. I glanced at his face and still remember his look of panic as he awaited the sickening crunch and deployment of air bags.

Instead I just looked where I wanted to go and steered around. Admittedly I wasn't calm, the adrenaline was pumping, but my actions were calm and controlled. Fortunately I had been traveling slowly enough to provide a margin of traction.

When I get my S3 I will definitely have the electronic nannies switched on most of the time. But I'm also going to find a vacant snowy parking lot, switch everything off and see how the car reacts. Then I'll know my limits so I can try to drive within them. I worry about people who never switch off ESC on their cars and don't really know how close to the edge they are pushing it.

Reactions: lucas-suisse and veeeight
Just today had a set of Vredestein Wintrac Extreme S fitted (235/35/19s). Will report back once I've had chance to try them out in nasty conditions.