1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First dealer issue with my S3

richardn Mar 3, 2008

1. richardn

richardn Member

I just got a call from my Audi dealer saying that the car has docked and will be up here in johannesburg and ready for delivery in the next two weeks but... They by mistake ordered it with silk nappa leather (an extra in south africa) and sent me a new offer to purchase which now includes the cost of the silk nappa leather. I have just sent them an email saying that i don't think i should have to pay extra for their mistake...

Have any of you guys had something like this this happen to you or is it just here in South Africa that audi try pull fast ones?

2. s3mike

s3mike Member

I haven't had it happen but if they made the mistake you shouldn't be paying for it.

Push for the car at the original price, only problem is if you reject it you presumably have to wait for another one to be built!

3. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

They pulling a fast one. Either get it for free or with some discount (ie no cost to license, register etc).

Make sure all your other options are there, sometimes dealers do swops before delivery.

4. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

What is the complete spec of the car by the way?

5. richardn

richardn Member

I'm going to try my best to get what ever i can out of them but to be honest if they don't budge i'm going to just have to bite the bullet and fork out the cash... I'm buying the car cash too which makes it even more interesting. (hate borrowing cash from the bank)

I ordered ice silver, sun roof, front center armrest, bose, light rain auto dip, ipod console. The rest of the stuff like FBMFSW are standard in SA as you know.

Planning on retrofitting the RNS-E and bluetooth later...

6. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

Not quite the same cost involved but when I ordered my current Sportback through my UK dealer, I ordered it with auto-dimming door mirrors. When it arrived it had auto-dimming and folding door mirrors. I did not have to pay for the folding option as it was on my order.

7. consilio

consilio Up the owls!

Theres no way you should pay to cover their mistake. Tell them that they should either correct the problem, or knock some money off as you would prefer not to have the different seats, and under no circumstances should delivery of the car be delayed!

8. richardn

richardn Member

Well i just got a call from the sales guy saying that it was his mistake and he doesn't know how his boss approved the order without him charging for the full silk nappa leather but could i please go half on the cost.

I told him that he should chat to his boss and find out what he wants to do before we decide on anything and that i'm still not happy with having to pay for their mistake...

Holding thumbs...

9. L60N

L60N Guest

I think its a foregone conclusion that you wont have to pay a dime. They made a mistake, they will just have to swallow it. It would be terrible PR on their part to do otherwise.

Besides. Youve got the grovelling saleman right where you want him from what your saying :icon_thumright:

10. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

It's their mistake so you shouldn't have to pay. Good luck!

11. mister.c.

mister.c. Active Member TeamMisano Audi A3

Good first tactic.

Do you want to pay more for his mistake?! Think of it as helping the sales guy improve for the future by making him learn from his mistakes and hand it over to you for nothing!

12. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

Hmmm...look at it from their point of view.
    Yes, they've made a mistake.
    However, the worst that can happen is the guy cancels the order and they're left with a car they'll probably be able to sell to someone else.
    There's got to be a bit of give and take, surely?
    FWIW, I'd be willing to give them half the cost of the leather.
    Not half the full retail price of the leather.
    I'd venture those two figures differ massively.
    Or maybe get some free servicing thrown in?

Surely good client relations works both ways.
    I know I hate clients who cry "tough" when I admit a mistake.
    The ones I like are the ones who says "ok, let's work it out".:icon_thumright:

13. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

Over here we get the S3 with a 5 year/100,000km freeway plan, so all services and maintenance and damages and repairs are free, as long as you dont go modding your car.

Yeah I think trying to half on the seats is what they would have wangled in their initial offerings as well, I say play hard ball with them (yeah the nappa seats are much better than the cloth but dont make it out like that) but be willing to negotiate if the offer is fair. It will cost you around 6k to get the seats redone in complete leather by an upholsterer (the same one that does all the OEM leather seats in South Africa) so anything more than that would be too much.

As for retrofitting the RNS and bluetooth, it's a piece of pie. Except that the RNS gives you an permanant ZF open circuit error code, due to the aerial in this S3 with standard/concert radio being newer than the aerial in the S3's which come with satnav fitted (yes they fit the old/different system if you spec satnav from factory).

14. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

I wouldn't pay a cent!!! Next time maybe their mistake is a DVD navigation system, or even wrong interior trim...

No way I would be paying... either they have the loss or in case you had to wait long for another car (with your spec) you would have to be compensated by time loss and break of agreement... (for instance a nice discount..)

Maybe because you really want the car you might be sympathetic with them... but I wouldn't...

If it was a different colour.. would you take it?

Your call... but not for me..

Pedro

15. Kris

Kris Member

I also wouldn't be wanting to give them extra for their mistake. Someone at the dealership will be getting a bollocking and you paying all or part will ease their suffering ..... their trying it on! I had a problem with a new ford some years back and to cut a long story short they had to upgrade the car and wanted me to pay the difference. I said NO and i'll be in to collect Friday as agreed. They kept calling me and eventually asked me to pay half the costs, I said NO but i will accept the origional car ordered ..... your cock up not mine, their response was they were giving me my deposit back and that was that!. So, i went to the showroom and read the salesmen the terms and conditions of the contract and explained that they were in breach of it and should they not honour the contract i would invoke all the relevant clauses which would be financially far in excess of what they wanted. The salesman got the branch manager out to talk to me, the branch manager got the financial manager out to talk to me and all i asked them was who is legal corresponence addressed to. I ended up getting the car at no extra cost.

Bit long winded but the moral is stick to your guns and don't let them bully you.

16. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

Yup that's true Kris, someone messed up and they just trying to recover it now... and by making it look like they doing you a favour.

It might even be because you were paying cash, most cars in SA are financed so if you rock up there saying you are paying in notes they might not trust you completely to follow through with it (as there is tax SARS and all sorts of other things to report). The spec you listed there is very close to the spec of most S3's in the country that dealers have on their floor, so they probably added the nappa so that incase you didnt take it, it might make it easier to flog or dealer trade with.

17. richardn

richardn Member

Thanks for all the input guys! It's going to come in handy when i get the call from the sales guy today... I'll let you all know as soon as i hear anything!

Hold thumbs!

18. richardn

richardn Member

Well they have come back and offered me the same half price on the leather and although it was there mistake i am going to be better off because of it and i was thinking about ordering it in the first place so i'm just going to accept it and get it over with.

I know i could prob get it for less or even nothing but i want to be fair about it...

19. phantom

phantom On Boost

Ask for a free service or free gap insurance or something as well

p

20. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

Glad your happy with the deal, as Phantom says ask for a few little extras to soften the blow.

21. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

We dont pay for services in SA.

22. richardn

richardn Member

Well it's done!

I asked if there was anything else he could throw in and he gave me a free advanced drivers course with an RS4. Which costs the same amount as what i'm now paying in for the leather.

Kind of happy that i don't have to put up with the cloth and that i now get to hammer an RS4 around a race track with a pro driver giving me pointers for a whole day!!!

23. phantom

phantom On Boost

^^^^^^^^NICE!

p

24. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore Team Floret Silver quattro Audi A3 Black Edition TDi

Nice one.