First and ongoing thoughts on 'Baggy'

josedebardi

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So I've had a couple of days with my RS3 now, and managed to take a few pics, so thought I'd share initial thoughts along with them.

So the good...
The NOISE! OMG the noise! It's stupendous, and far better than I remember on the few test drives.
With it in Dynamic mode anyone within 100 yards will be under no illusions about what this car is, it is not possible to drive it quietly!
I have to say even in comfort it makes a fair amount of noise (I attempted to creep on/off the in-laws drive, but failed!), inside it becomes very quiet in Comfort, still audible and the same sound, just probably 40% of Dynamic mode.
It also starts up with a throttle blip and overrun burble/snarl regardless of the Drive Select Mode it was left in! And if cold the high idle is very loud for 30 seconds or so. It's really not a car to get if you want to have good relations with neighbours!

The POWER! The main thing you notice is how linear and unrelenting it is, and at ANY speed. I've had 300+ BHP cars before, but the RS3 just keeps pulling, it's very impressive, and you really have to be aware of the speedo as it doesn't take long to get round the dial! So far I've not gone too mad, just a couple of squirts to see whats she's like, over the next few hundred miles I'll continue to give it a hard, but not brutal run-in, for what should hopefully be a nice free-revving engine in the long run.

The LUXURY! Being in the S1 for a year, I'd forgotten how much I liked some of the plushness and creature comforts the SQ5 had. The 8V platform as a whole is VERY nice inside, and the RS3 with it's little extras like the mono-pur knee and door pads is fantastic. I love the red accents in the air vents that fold in/out as you pull the knob to narrow the air flow, just like the tail pipe of a jet engine does to achieve the same effect as the thrust is turned up - the A3/S3 have the same but you don't notice it without the fact that the flaps are red. A small piece, but one I really like, is the super slimline/sleek rear view mirror, and also that the auto-dimming button/light/sensor are no longer offensively large sticking out the bottom!
The noise inside the cabin is also minimal, very little road noise or tyre roar (considering they are 19s!), this is generally good, but will come back to this in 'the bad'...

The TECH! The LTE/4G Audi Connect is SOOOOO much faster than the 3G in my S1/SQ5 were. And the MMI as a whole is much faster to respond to inputs. The track pad makes it much easier to use, particularly when scanning around the nav map (not quite got the hang of left-handed text input with it yet though!).
Other bits of note are the advanced key is now much more sensitive and locks/unlocks much quicker than previous models, so you don't have to grad, wait, pull, you just grab and pull as if it was already unlocked.
The adaptive cruise is going to take some getting used to as well, I had it on the SQ5, but it lacked stop-and-go and would disengage at <20mph - but the RS3 happily comes to a stop, and if it's a brief one (up to 3 seconds) pulls away again, otherwise once the car ahead moves you blip the throttle or pull the ACC stalk and it pulls away on it's own - not sure I'll realistically use it much if at all for this, it's mainly for the long-haul motorway that I wanted it, but it's a clever feature all the same - I'd prefer if the 3 seconds stop time was longer though (might see if I can change that in VCDS).

The LIGHTS! The LED lights are in every way better than any BiXenon I've ever experienced. They have a slight blue cast to them, but the throw is amazing, even on 'dipped' you can see so far without dazzling traffic in-front. And the corner lighting is lovely. Very impressed as from what I'd read people didn't rate them as that much better than BiXenon, but I think they are much better and a very welcome edition to the standard spec. I also need to reduce the High Beam Assist activation speed with VCDS, as 37mph is too fast to need to go for them to turn on, it needs to be around 30mph for the unlit villages around here - I've done this on a few cars so presuming it's as easy on the RS3.

The B&O! Oh how I missed you! The Bose in the S1 was just not up to par (and cost the same amount!!). It needs a few hours to bed in, but I can already tell it's better than the SQ5 one, mainly because it's a less boomy space. The ability to set the sub as well bass/treble is a nice extra. It's a beautifully balanced system, with superb clarity. Even with the volume up as loud as you would ever reasonably want it you could still have a normal conversation with the front seat passenger without shouting - the only other car I've experienced this in was my 135i which had a Harmon Kardon system, this B&O has a bit more depth than that did so I think it's going down as best stereo I've had yet :)

And the bad...
Low speed brake squeal - Oh yes, it's inherited it from the Mk1! Only had it once or twice and very short at the final 1-2 feet of stopping and TBH I'm REALLY hoping it's while the brakes bed in, but we'll see!

Jerky gear change - Twice today on 1st to 2nd I noticed it basically just slammed it into 2nd, for no good reason, I was probably at about 10% throttle pulling away from a set of lights both times. Also twice today, in 6th, ~45mph come to an incline and the downshift to 5th (I made no change to throttle input it just decided it was needed) was also pretty harsh. Neither of these were neck-wrenchingly bad, but given all the other changes have been so smooth they stood out, and especially as both were under light load. I'm hoping maybe the gearbox program will learn over time as it adapts to my driving, again, we'll have to see.

Cabin Noise - so because the cabin is so well insulated, it means that 1) the exhaust is MUCH louder outside and you need the window open to really get the full effect and 2) you start to home in on all sort of other little noise which would otherwise be drowned out, like the A/C fan, or earlier on a road with some loose clippings (going dead slow so as not to flick to many up!), you would hear quite loudly every one that did hit the underside/bodywork. It's hard to truly call this a bad point, but it's something I picked up on!

Drive Select - it has the same problem as all the S/RS's seem to, in that after engine restart if left in Dynamic or Individual with Engine/Gearbox setting as Dynamic, on startup it's quietly gone back to Auto without any indication other than the pops and bangs don't happen and you have to cycle through the modes to properly engage Dynamic mode. On the plus side in Individual, with the Exhaust Sound setting left as Dynamic, this does stay put, so the only thing you lose on a restart is the pops and bangs, it's still damn loud!!

Phone Pocket Under Armrest - Handy net to put your phone in, excellent, make it 5mm too small to easily fit the iPhone with the RIDICULOUSLY large AMI plug on the bottom of it, stupid!
TBH this is an AMI cable design fault, there is no need for it to add over an inch to the length of the phone! A minor quibble, but annoying none the less.

I think for now those are my initial observations! As the weather has been so pants I've not had the chance to really do any 'spirited driving' and in all honesty probably won't for a few weeks until it's got a few more miles on the clock, so I'll save updating this thread until then with thoughts on that and after living with it for a while. As of now though VERY HAPPY! Oh, and I still giggle when I see the plate I got for it!

Anyway, here's Baggy (Panther Black paint, Black Panther in Jungle Book, Bagheera aka Baggy)...

Baggy   1
Baggy   2
Baggy   3
Baggy   4
Baggy   5
Baggy   6
Baggy   7

Reactions: Evotion, Daytonapig, Rob2k68 and 24 others
The car looks really nice Jose. A very good write up on your 1st thoughts and experience of the car. Enjoy. :) x

Reactions: josedebardi
Looking lovely Jose. Glad to hear the noise is menacing

Very informative write up Jose. With regards to the brake squeal, my RS4 B8 suffered this for a few weeks but it disappeared after bedding in

Superb!!!! Perfect colour choice too!!! ;-)
You say exhaust is loud on start up etc.. maybe I shouldn't get one as my neighbours here me in my S3 on start up and taking off at 7am. Can only imagine it's mental..lol.
Enjoy! ;-)

Looks menacing all in black! Good write up although I've not noticed the drive select thing? I leave mine in individual with all set to auto other than dynamic exhaust - seems to stay like that after start up.

TX.

Looks menacing all in black! Good write up although I've not noticed the drive select thing? I leave mine in individual with all set to auto other than dynamic exhaust - seems to stay like that after start up.

TX.

It's only the Engine/Gearbox setting - if you put it in Dynamic it won't stay like it an revert to Auto silently. If you leave it in Auto (as you have) it'll stay in Auto. As I noted, the Exhaust Sound setting, which is the only Dynamic setting you have, stays in Dynamic. As you've got it set you won't notice anything amiss.
If you start the car up and rev it you won't get any pops/bangs unless the Engine/Gearbox is put in Dynamic post-startup.

Reactions: Yorrick
Individual is also the same, as I have the exhaust set to dynamic in that also. No pops and bang on downshift unless you cycle through modes again

So I've had a couple of days with my RS3 now, and managed to take a few pics, so thought I'd share initial thoughts along with them.

So the good...
The NOISE! OMG the noise! It's stupendous, and far better than I remember on the few test drives.
With it in Dynamic mode anyone within 100 yards will be under no illusions about what this car is, it is not possible to drive it quietly!
I have to say even in comfort it makes a fair amount of noise (I attempted to creep on/off the in-laws drive, but failed!), inside it becomes very quiet in Comfort, still audible and the same sound, just probably 40% of Dynamic mode.
It also starts up with a throttle blip and overrun burble/snarl regardless of the Drive Select Mode it was left in! And if cold the high idle is very loud for 30 seconds or so. It's really not a car to get if you want to have good relations with neighbours!

The POWER! The main thing you notice is how linear and unrelenting it is, and at ANY speed. I've had 300+ BHP cars before, but the RS3 just keeps pulling, it's very impressive, and you really have to be aware of the speedo as it doesn't take long to get round the dial! So far I've not gone too mad, just a couple of squirts to see whats she's like, over the next few hundred miles I'll continue to give it a hard, but not brutal run-in, for what should hopefully be a nice free-revving engine in the long run.

The LUXURY! Being in the S1 for a year, I'd forgotten how much I liked some of the plushness and creature comforts the SQ5 had. The 8V platform as a whole is VERY nice inside, and the RS3 with it's little extras like the mono-pur knee and door pads is fantastic. I love the red accents in the air vents that fold in/out as you pull the knob to narrow the air flow, just like the tail pipe of a jet engine does to achieve the same effect as the thrust is turned up - the A3/S3 have the same but you don't notice it without the fact that the flaps are red. A small piece, but one I really like, is the super slimline/sleek rear view mirror, and also that the auto-dimming button/light/sensor are no longer offensively large sticking out the bottom!
The noise inside the cabin is also minimal, very little road noise or tyre roar (considering they are 19s!), this is generally good, but will come back to this in 'the bad'...

The TECH! The LTE/4G Audi Connect is SOOOOO much faster than the 3G in my S1/SQ5 were. And the MMI as a whole is much faster to respond to inputs. The track pad makes it much easier to use, particularly when scanning around the nav map (not quite got the hang of left-handed text input with it yet though!).
Other bits of note are the advanced key is now much more sensitive and locks/unlocks much quicker than previous models, so you don't have to grad, wait, pull, you just grab and pull as if it was already unlocked.
The adaptive cruise is going to take some getting used to as well, I had it on the SQ5, but it lacked stop-and-go and would disengage at <20mph - but the RS3 happily comes to a stop, and if it's a brief one (up to 3 seconds) pulls away again, otherwise once the car ahead moves you blip the throttle or pull the ACC stalk and it pulls away on it's own - not sure I'll realistically use it much if at all for this, it's mainly for the long-haul motorway that I wanted it, but it's a clever feature all the same - I'd prefer if the 3 seconds stop time was longer though (might see if I can change that in VCDS).

The LIGHTS! The LED lights are in every way better than any BiXenon I've ever experienced. They have a slight blue cast to them, but the throw is amazing, even on 'dipped' you can see so far without dazzling traffic in-front. And the corner lighting is lovely. Very impressed as from what I'd read people didn't rate them as that much better than BiXenon, but I think they are much better and a very welcome edition to the standard spec. I also need to reduce the High Beam Assist activation speed with VCDS, as 37mph is too fast to need to go for them to turn on, it needs to be around 30mph for the unlit villages around here - I've done this on a few cars so presuming it's as easy on the RS3.

The B&O! Oh how I missed you! The Bose in the S1 was just not up to par (and cost the same amount!!). It needs a few hours to bed in, but I can already tell it's better than the SQ5 one, mainly because it's a less boomy space. The ability to set the sub as well bass/treble is a nice extra. It's a beautifully balanced system, with superb clarity. Even with the volume up as loud as you would ever reasonably want it you could still have a normal conversation with the front seat passenger without shouting - the only other car I've experienced this in was my 135i which had a Harmon Kardon system, this B&O has a bit more depth than that did so I think it's going down as best stereo I've had yet :)

And the bad...
Low speed brake squeal - Oh yes, it's inherited it from the Mk1! Only had it once or twice and very short at the final 1-2 feet of stopping and TBH I'm REALLY hoping it's while the brakes bed in, but we'll see!

Jerky gear change - Twice today on 1st to 2nd I noticed it basically just slammed it into 2nd, for no good reason, I was probably at about 10% throttle pulling away from a set of lights both times. Also twice today, in 6th, ~45mph come to an incline and the downshift to 5th (I made no change to throttle input it just decided it was needed) was also pretty harsh. Neither of these were neck-wrenchingly bad, but given all the other changes have been so smooth they stood out, and especially as both were under light load. I'm hoping maybe the gearbox program will learn over time as it adapts to my driving, again, we'll have to see.

Cabin Noise - so because the cabin is so well insulated, it means that 1) the exhaust is MUCH louder outside and you need the window open to really get the full effect and 2) you start to home in on all sort of other little noise which would otherwise be drowned out, like the A/C fan, or earlier on a road with some loose clippings (going dead slow so as not to flick to many up!), you would hear quite loudly every one that did hit the underside/bodywork. It's hard to truly call this a bad point, but it's something I picked up on!

Drive Select - it has the same problem as all the S/RS's seem to, in that after engine restart if left in Dynamic or Individual with Engine/Gearbox setting as Dynamic, on startup it's quietly gone back to Auto without any indication other than the pops and bangs don't happen and you have to cycle through the modes to properly engage Dynamic mode. On the plus side in Individual, with the Exhaust Sound setting left as Dynamic, this does stay put, so the only thing you lose on a restart is the pops and bangs, it's still damn loud!!

Phone Pocket Under Armrest - Handy net to put your phone in, excellent, make it 5mm too small to easily fit the iPhone with the RIDICULOUSLY large AMI plug on the bottom of it, stupid!
TBH this is an AMI cable design fault, there is no need for it to add over an inch to the length of the phone! A minor quibble, but annoying none the less.

I think for now those are my initial observations! As the weather has been so pants I've not had the chance to really do any 'spirited driving' and in all honesty probably won't for a few weeks until it's got a few more miles on the clock, so I'll save updating this thread until then with thoughts on that and after living with it for a while. As of now though VERY HAPPY! Oh, and I still giggle when I see the plate I got for it!

Anyway, here's Baggy (Panther Black paint, Black Panther in Jungle Book, Bagheera aka Baggy)...

View attachment 72553 View attachment 72554 View attachment 72548 View attachment 72549 View attachment 72550 View attachment 72551 View attachment 72552
@josedebardi - RS3 looks gorgeous buddy!

Great write up too

So to get the full sound you have to cycle through. Ie you can never start it up and just get the sounds. Is that right?

So to get the full sound you have to cycle through. Ie you can never start it up and just get the sounds. Is that right?

The exhaust will be in loud (Dynamic) mode, but you won't get the pops and bangs without cycling through.

It does start with a little pop, but it's only for the first few seconds.

Reactions: billyali86
Superb looking car matey,
Lovely write up too!
Enjoy,and Drive Safely,
Pete.

Amazing pictures, really considering whether or not I should have specced ACC. I had no idea it slowed to a complete stop for you. Moved on since I last had that !

The exhaust will be in loud (Dynamic) mode, but you won't get the pops and bangs without cycling through.

It does start with a little pop, but it's only for the first few seconds.

That's a bit of a pain in the butt surely.

Edit: so if you had it set like Billyali with the gearbox on auto, under what circumstances would the auto setting give the pops and bangs?

That's a bit of a pain in the butt surely.

Edit: so if you had it set like Billyali with the gearbox on auto, under what circumstances would the auto setting give the pops and bangs?

I haven't tried it, but I imagine if you put the gearbox in S/M and spanked it then they may make the odd appearance. But certainly in D you don't get any with it in Auto.

I suppose if you turn on the the cars electrics, then cycle through to dynamic then start the engine it would work?

I suppose if you turn on the the cars electrics, then cycle through to dynamic then start the engine it would work?

Nope, tried that! Has to be start engine then cycle. I'm not too bothered as it's only the pops/bangs you lose, and the reality is if I car about them I would probably have already gone from Individual to Dynamic anyway, it just annoys me that it's not 'advertised' to the driver that it's not in the mode you think it is.

Reactions: RYuill
Josie love it can't wait for mine choking too see more of the panther at night with the lights on it and also in daylight. Any chance of some bright petrol station lights too show off that colour mine should look the same on the outside Barr Quattro front

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel McCormick
Josie love it can't wait for mine choking too see more of the panther at night with the lights on it and also in daylight. Any chance of some bright petrol station lights too show off that colour mine should look the same on the outside Barr Quattro front

Yea - I'll be taking some in brighter light. I'm hoping the naff weather gives up and we might get a sunny day soon!

Brake squeal goes after a few good runs, I had first couple weeks too

Isnt the pop's bangs the same as the S3 to get the louder exhaust in dynamic? I have to put dsg into S and then back out to D...much quicker than going through all the modes...

Although I have mapped the * button on the FBMSW to the driving modes to swap easier.

Reactions: 5pot
Isnt the pop's bangs the same as the S3 to get the louder exhaust in dynamic? I have to put dsg into S and then back out to D...much quicker than going through all the modes...

Although I have mapped the * button on the FBMSW to the driving modes to swap easier.

This has been suggested and I think it does work, I'd forgotten and not tried it myself yet. Will report back.

I've set my * to do the same :)

Reactions: GRE57Y

Tried it this evening. Start the car in Individual (containing Engine/Gearbox=Dynamic), D, S, D - no pops/bangs - cycle modes and they work immediately.
I'll try an remember to shut the car down in full Dynamic and try again, but pretty sure it won't work after today's test.

Car looks stunning, congrats. Any interior shots, especially of the seats and mon.pur/ red air vents?

Car looks stunning, congrats. Any interior shots, especially of the seats and mon.pur/ red air vents?

Cheers :)
Interior is the next on the list. Will try and get some this week, if not the weekend.

Cheers :)
Interior is the next on the list. Will try and get some this week, if not the weekend.

Thanks, may help me staying with grey stitching and mon.pur or red and the RS3 red option thingie :D

Great advice on steering wheel button Jose, got it set for the driving modes

Ahem ....who's suggstion? :)

Reactions: jimojameso, AndyB-S3 and josedebardi
Any more pics?

Know the whether has been shocking though!

I have 5 weeks for my panther black to be delivered, late Xmas pressie!!

Reactions: RGBARGEE
Well I drove round a building site this week looking at a house...

99cb7818664afc091f4e81e99ddc8287.jpg

b371ec739cbcc8ba77f43f06aac382c9.jpg

I quite like the splatter effect on the wheels!

She's booked in for 3 days worth of paint correction/detailing/protection next week so I'll get some more after that, inc the interior.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Kelza, Scottyg and 4 others
Bad angle for the RS3 that one.
Looks like any A3 with rotors.

Bad angle for the RS3 that one.
Looks like any A3 with rotors.
They all look like an A3 with rotors mate, thats the point.

Reactions: AudiNutta, 45bvtc, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
I walked past a new M3 earlier and every part of it screamed aggression - as above the RS3 is very understated in comparison. I figure Audi are aiming at a different market.
The RWD lairy nature of M cars complements their looks - as the planted Quattro RS range also has looks to suit.

The only thing I think they could/should have done is added some options like the S1 and the A45 have so the buyer can choose to have a simple looking car, or tick some boxes and make it a bit more stand out.

Reactions: Evotion, Snake Pliskin and Ashbrummy
I ️ the look of the m3, m4 is rubbish lol

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Spaceman_RS3 and josedebardi