1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fine Scratch Removal

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Cheese, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Cheese

Cheese Member

Can anyone recommend a company for fine scratch removal from the windscreen? I have a rough price of £80 - £150 from a company named glass doctors that will come to your home to do it.

2. sendtohim

sendtohim New Member

i only paid £115 for a new windscreen from budget windscreens is it worth the hassle ?

3. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

as said, I would be looking at replacing the windscreen against insurance or even buying one through Audi... They aren't as expensive as you think.

4. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

Pay your insurance excess and have it done via them, usually its only £50 and it doesn't affect your premium or no claims as far as im aware.

5. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

I used a scratch remover cream on the sunroof.

Did nowt, rubbed and rubbed til I looked like a fiddler crab.
    Waste of money.

6. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

Did the effects wear off or do you still look like a fiddler crab ?

7. Cheese

Cheese Member

Not sure about getting a replacement under my insurance. I have seen a few complaints about screens not being fitted well by the likes of Autoglass. I will see how much it is from the dealership...knowing Audi it will be about £300+ which obviously would be a no go

8. BBlackburn

BBlackburn Member

My excess was £25 for chip, bloke came out and they messed up the date of my insurance on his paperwork he rang his boss and said the paperwork is wrong again and I ended up not having to pay a penny. It's also only £75 excess for new windscreen on mine and doesn't effect any NCB you have as the insurance company just forward you on to who they use, then they have no further part you pay the windscreen company.

9. Cheese

Cheese Member

Yeah - I just phoned Admiral - £70 and NCB and premium unaffected. They use National Windscreens. Also, if I specifically request it I get a dealer supplied part (only applies if the car is under 3 years old.

10. Cheese

Cheese Member

Reminds me of a great family Guy episode...

[​IMG]

11. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

just spoke to budget windscreens and they quoted me £158 +VAT for a rain sensing windscreen supplied and fitted.

12. danb986

danb986 In awe of VCDS

I'd be cautious about getting the screen polished. My brothers place get the wiper scratches polished out on the Astons because the screens are so expensive, but they quite often get a distortion in it. It only takes a minimal reduction in the thickness to create a distortion that will make everything look wobbly.
    Mine has got a curve of very fine scratches where the tip of the passenger side wiper goes and I've decided to put up with it. It was noted on it's first MOT, but not on the second one. I'm not keen on getting it changed as Admiral sent Autoglass to do my Golfs screen after it cracked and the screen had terrible distortion. It was bad enough to make my wife feel travel sick. They changed it over and it was better but not perfect. It was a Pilkington screen so should've been OE quality, but it's just made me weary of getting any glass changed now. People I've spoken to seem to think it could've been just a bad batch.
    As said above, if your car is less than 3 years old you can specify a genuine one, but mine wasn't sadly.

13. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

No, so bought this months Razzle to get the other one to look the same.
    Now I look like Popeye.

14. 1750bulldog

1750bulldog Member

hi all i work for autoglass,ur best bet is to change the windscreen,u won`t get any marks off the screen,don`t waste ur money
    but make sure u watch them fitting,they must take wipers off, sctulle panel off to do a good job,otherwise might leak
    hope this helps

15. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

Had mine done through insurance..........i demanded a genuine windscreen from audi.........and i got it,autoglass got the screen from audi (i had to wait a week as audi didnt have it in stock) i had the old removed,the area cleaned.....the guy who fitted it did a puka job,didnt scartch the paint when he cut out the seal,painted the rust stopper (just as a precaution) fitted new screen.
    100% fit........and he said genuines fit like a glove and are slightler thicker glass. Demand genuine........my insurance said like for like to me........i said if its like for like wheres the audi logo?...........so they settled me having a genuine one.:yes:

16. w29ard

w29ard New Member

I will keep that in my mind, had used auto glass before after a chip when wife drove it. Wasn't to pleased wiv their work.