Finding a good source +12V for Audi S3 incar DVD

S3 AJU

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to the group and am very happy to join you, to share our knowledge.

I have a problem though I have found a place that can provide a convertor for the Sat Nav + older version (not RNS-E) the cdrom based. I found out need a vag-02VID conversion If you want to add an external AV source. I have also found out that you can cut the GALA wire if you have a multi function steering as this does not use the GALA so therefore I will go and cut this off as the Sat Nav does already take a long time to update. The only problem that I'm faced with is to find an ignition 12V source, I do also know that the Audi S3 or even A3 for that mtter uses the Can-Bus system. Can anyone help here as I'm new to Audi's but good with In-car systems, I'm glad to be part of this group as I've come from the BMW world, and Audi's are much better.

:biggrin:

Not all A3/S3's use the CAN-BUS for ignition on, only the later models.
So would be worthwhile picking it up off the HU loom if your HU has it wired. Worst case pick it off the Fusebox on fuse Radio (S-Kont), fuse 30 IIRC.
This is the proper accessory feed so comes on with the ignition but stays on until the keys are out.

if you have an RNS-D then this already has a switched live at the HU, look on the wiring for the unit on the lid. It has a * for illumination and next to that should be the switched live.

I have just bought 2002 ming blue S3, seems like you guys know your stuff....
The HU should be OK to give a live feed to a external DVD player...and also for the VAG-02VID AV convertor, might just join the wire to the HU loom...