1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally settled?

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Mikejefferson, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Mikejefferson

Mikejefferson New Member

Okay so, I've been jumping around a lot of cars when deciding what I will be getting in September. Started with the A5, jcw mini, 1 series and a3 SB but after viewing an A3 hatch I may have finally settled!

I'm stuck between the 1.8tfsi and 2.0 tdi...I don't want to get the less powerful car and regret it but I really can't seem to justify the extra price, worse fuel consumption and the apparent lag problems of the petrol. Any thoughts?
  2. squiretolley

squiretolley Active Member

What sort of mileage will you be doing?
  3. Mikejefferson

Mikejefferson New Member

Only 10k ish a year but does mileage matter that much if the diesel is cheaper than the petrol?
  4. dieseldoug

dieseldoug Member

Go diesel all the way, people will say you dont do the mileage to justify the diesel engine but just work out the costs yourself and you will buy the diesel. The power of the 2 litre is brilliant far better than my A4 was, my Q5 is 2 litre diesel also, the A3 is full SLine spec and suspension (3door) as my wife is usually driving herself now or only 1 passenger hence we still have the Q for more people and weather in Aberdeenshire also.

I hope this helps you decide what you want, spec of A3 in signature.
  5. Nick1989

Nick1989 New Member

Not convinced its worth getting diesel in my opinion as You aren't doing the mileage and that's what a Diesel engine is for? Also petrol sounds better and performs better. And I know these are new engines but I'm not sure how good it is for a diesel to be doing lots of short journeys as it is an engine that runs efficiently when warmed up? Might be wrong tho just my thoughts :)
  6. viperfire

viperfire Member

How is the diesels torque compared to the 1.8 petrol?
  7. stevey_cam

stevey_cam Member

I went for the 1.4tfsi manual coming from a 1.6 tdi A1 and I'm really happy I changed from diesel to petrol.

I test drove a 2.0tdi A3 and it is a really nice engine.

I would say get a decent length test drive in each and work out the difference in running costs etc. Then decide if the increased cost of running the petrol is worth it, only you can decide that
  8. squiretolley

squiretolley Active Member

How about the new 1.4 COD engine? It's about £1k cheaper than the 2.0tdi, similar economy and marginally quicker. I'd avoid the 1.8tfsi from the posts on here about the s tronic box.