Finally my A3 is at the dealers

Mikey

Reaction score
Its been such a long wait, but last night i had the phone call from the dealers to say my car has arrived with them. I asked about waiting till 1st march but they cant do it as i was heavily discounted on the car so it has to be done as an 2006 sale?! Never mind tho, the car will 1st be registerd in 2007 so not all bad, plus ive got my private plate to go on the car. Sorted my insurance out online last night so they can tax the car. So today im going to nip across with the insurance cover note and have a gander at the audi while im there. Ive now gotta sort out my finance (awaiting acceptence). Its all come as a shock really as i was not expecting "the call" until a few weeks yet!! So fingers crossed i can have the car for next week. Pretty excited! (been waiting since mid november, and been driving a clapped out 11 year old Ibiza 1.4 since september!!!)

Hey mate, you should be able to make the dealer wait to register the car on Mar 1st as an '07. Some people have already noted that dealers are say this could add up to £600 when you come to sell it.
For the sake of a couple of weeks I'd push them.... discount or no discount they can't force you to take the car.
Just a personal thought - though guess you may WANT the car now!

Enjoy...

yeh definately - you are throwing approx £600 simply down the toilet by registering it now on a 56. i ordered mine in october and told them then i wanted it for march delivery no sooner and i was heavily discounted too by about 5 grand!

T and c on my purchase said it must be paid for and collected within 10 days of notification that it had arrived.

Dealers are targeted on registrations, and it is not uncommon for a dealer who is falling short of target to give the car away or even lose money on a car to hit the target. When the deal was struck the delivery date (or registration date as far as the dealer is concerned) would have been in their minds.

If the dealer stipulated Jan Reg as part of the deal then they will not hold out till March.

Chris.

Yup - the only reason I got a huge discount on my S-Line is because I was prepared to register it before the new plates came out.

Dealers get volume bonuses which they struggle to meet in the month before the new plate which is why they discount like this - in order to get the bonuses in quiet months.

jamiekip said:
discount or no discount they can't force you to take the car.
Maybe not but they can charge you for it, register it and then charge you storage if you don't collect it and there's nowt you can do to stop them I'm afraid.

Yup, unless you asked for a 1st March registration, the deal will have been based on registering it as soon as it arrived. If you'd wanted a 1st March registration, you would have needed to tell them at the time of ordering, as they would have factored that in to the deal they gave you, and they would have delayed the order so they didn't have to store the car for 5 weeks.

why not pay them most of the money now and pay final lump on 1st of march.I ordered my sportback tdi S line 170 on 22-11-06 and it arrived monday my dealer has no problem registering car on 1st of march.

to be honest more fool you then.... also factored into the orginal deal should be the delivery date - just push them they are not going to lose a deal because they want you to take it at a certain time to suit them!!! thats just daft! yeh they may try and push but in the end you can DEMAND if you so prefer - or they are left with a car to sell with someone elses spec on it - its more hassle to them than its worth! Whats the point in haggling a £600 discount off a car only to lose this because it is registered to close to a plate change??

By all means push them to see if they'll agree to hold it but remember they're under no obligation to comply with your request. At the end of the day, the car is ready and you owe them payment in full. If you try withholding payment in the hope it will delay the car you're going to end up in a spot of bother.

My dealer was fine about waiting three weeks to register the car on the 1st last year. At the end of the day your buying the car from them and they are still getting the money.

Yeah I think they're usually fairly flexible but in this particular case, the dealer obviously wants to register it ASAP so they can get it onto the 2006 books so they have a good reason not to accomodate the buyer in delaying the car and are obviously under no obligation to do so either.

well.. if my dealer was like that i would go elsewhere they are obviously muppets

I'd try - the dealer is holding mine for nearly 3 weeks so I can get March 1st delivery! No harm giving it a whirl - dig your heels in mate!

well.. if my dealer was like that i would go elsewhere they are obviously muppets

Fine as long as you don't mind waiting another 10 weeks for a new car to be ordered.

If you have entered a contact with the dealer to take delivery in February then it is up to them if they are prepared to hold the car and register it for 1st March. As someone has already said, the price and the discount may have been based on a February delivery.