Finally i think i know what is wrong with my car!!

HenriEST

Reaction score
I was talking to my mate that my car drinks a lot of oil and that i only ftopped it up 2 weeks ago and its on minimum again! so he thinks that my valve stem oil seals are gone. and i think thats what might be the problem because my exhaust spits out white smoke aswell and thats where the oil is going!! Im just wondering if someone knows how much those seals cost to replace?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/A...dfa4dcc792d186f1b093490c12eea1b464e0d813&VVSS

cheers

I had the same problem and thought exactly the same, Turned out to be a combination of cracked breather hose from oil filter housing and other blocked hoses. Had a great tip from a member on here which helped me isolate it. Check the pipes 1st before you go to all the trouble of removing the rocker cover, cams, tappets etc. My car is a 01 1.8T quattro, AVJ engine code. Hope this helps.

Ok cheers mate :) ill try check the hoses and stuff, how many miles has your car done? i was just thinking that those seals should last longer than 60k miles because thats what my car just turned over hmm?

if your valve stem seals have gone you will get clouds of BLUE smoke on start up after its been standing as the oil drips into the cylinders through the worn seals which burns on ignition giving a big cloud of smoke....

Ok, only smoke i get from ym exhaust is white and it dripped a bit of water yesterday. but definately not blue smoke, so it might be something else :S or my car just drinks alot of oil!

If you have your car ticking over then undo the oil filler cap, does it make a sucking noise, if so your crank case breather is blocked and will need replacing (around £40 for the part i think) that is a known cause for white smoke. This pressurises the crank case & forces oil out through the weakest points which are the seals as it is desperatly trying to breath. This tends to happen when the engine warms up so you may not notice oil leaking outside your house. You may have already tried this but if not its worth a look. Theres a thread on here called clouds of white smoke in the diesel forum. Good luck .

DO take the oil filler cap off & if there is pressure pop / noise then I would definately say its the breather

Last edited:
ok cheers for that mate ! another thing it might be is what oil im using!! i was talking to this guy i know, and he was saying that his mate uses castrol edge 0w 40 in his car and that hes car drinks alot of oil because that oil is just too thin! and thats the oil ive been using in mine castrol edge 5w 30. so im thinking that its just the oil being burnt becuase its thin as! got some thicker stuff this time see how it reacts!

possibly but i use castrol edge 5w 30 and dont have any disappear

I have to completely agree, my 3.0V6 was drinking the stuff, and misfiring, and if you took the oil filler cap off there was a powerful vacuum, and the misfiring got a lot worse. My local garage found it and blew out the breathers with an airline and it immediately improved, but the pipes were old and fragile, so a week or two later there were issues again. Two new crank case breather pipes later and she's perfect. Audi breather pipes are not cheap, but a lot cheaper than the other options!

Andy