Finally got the Nav lady speaking from the front!!

Issac Hunt

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
After completing the VIM hack on my RNS-E a few months ago this then moved the Nav lady's voice into the rear, not a major problem but a little annoying none the less.

Uprgraded to the latest 0650 firmware on the 08 Nav DVD and then ran the hacked 0660 firmware to restore SDS operation and she now speaks from the front again.

Happy days:icon_thumright:

Hi Issac,

Where did you get your 08 Nav DVD from? Are they any other changes in the 0650 firmware?

Cheers

redbutcher said:
Hi Issac,

Where did you get your 08 Nav DVD from? Are they any other changes in the 0650 firmware?

Cheers
Part number for latest DVD is 8P0 060 884 AA

Thats for 2008 DVD and 650 firmware.

As far as changes go..... looks like practically nothing.
Software change for EU 650

Hope that helps

Does anyone know where I can download the new firmware from?
Thanks in advance
Ian

Try HERE for the 0650 firmware.

Not a great deal of changes, addition of altitude reading and improvemnts to the Mix/Shuffle funcrion when listenin to MP3 tracks are about all I can make out so far.

I got mine thorugh a friend of a friend who knows someone at Audi. However I do know that a good "back-up" copy is on Usenet.

I take it you have to burn it a blank disc and insert in the RNS-E, does it upgrade automaticly?

Yes, burn the files to a blank CD-R. You must ensure the CD is finalised or else it will not work. Insert CD into RNS-E and it will upgrade automatically if the CD is burnt correctly and finalised.

Mine took around 5 minutes to update, it will power itself on and off during the update.

Issac

is i worth sticking with the 650 upgrade or going for the 660 hack?
Thanks
Ian

Depends upon wether you have SDS or not, that is the only difference between them. 0660 is not offical firmware, its simply 0650 with the SDS hack applied to it.

If you already have SDS, running with 0600 like I did, then upgrading to 0650 will remove the SDS hack. Thats why I went back to 0660, to restore the SDS hack.

As I do not know what SDS is I take I don't have it, but would be interested to know what SDS is?

SDS= Speech Dialogue System, allows voice control of all major functions of the RNS-E. Eg changing modes, spelling out nav destinations, changing radio stations etc etc.

To get it working you need a Microphone in the interior light(which you will have already if you have phone prep), the mic needs wiring to pass through the RNS-E instead of going straight to the BT module. MFSW is also helpful but not essential.

Issac Hunt said:
Yes, burn the files to a blank CD-R. You must ensure the CD is finalised or else it will not work. Insert CD into RNS-E and it will upgrade automatically if the CD is burnt correctly and finalised.

Mine took around 5 minutes to update, it will power itself on and off during the update.

Cheers Issac :icon_thumright:

Successfully upgraded mine to 650 this afternoon - as you say takes about 5 mins with a power off in between.