1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally bought a machine polisher, here are the results....

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by DJM1982, Jun 24, 2010.

1. DJM1982

DJM1982 Member

[Jun 24, 2010]
    As above, finally plucked up enough courage to buy a machine polisher and gave it a go today as the weather was nice. I am pleased with the results of my first attempt, and i think with a more abrasive polish next time i should be able to get an even better paint correction and better results.
    Opinions welcome....

Before pics after a wash and clay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 30, 2014]

3. DJM1982

DJM1982 Member

[Jun 24, 2010]
    After pics: (after polish and after a coat of hand applied DoDo Juice Wax, plus tyre dressing etc)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Comments welcome. But please be kind as its my first attempt....
  4. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

[Jun 24, 2010]
    You obviously Photoshop'd those pics. To prove yourself, get over and do mine....go on....I dare yer. :yum:
  5. jon1982

jon1982 diesel dodger

[Jun 24, 2010]
    looks good mate, how much are those machine polishes? and where did you purchase yours from?
  6. goon

goon Member

[Jun 24, 2010]
    just polished mine and yours looks so much better,I think I must get one of those,what type is it and what was the actual procedure you did to get a superlative finish?
  7. avant1980

avant1980 Member

[Jun 24, 2010]
    i've been using one on my car a rotary one just cant seem to shift the fine swirl marks, must be doing s'thing wrong
  8. Fahim

Fahim Member

[Jun 25, 2010]
    Very nicely done. I would love to learn how to polish correctly. Seems like hard work mind.
  9. Dazmo

Dazmo Active Member

[Jun 25, 2010]
    Machined polished mine yesterday, bloody hard work and shakes your arm off but more than worth it in the end!.

I tend to only machine polish on large and flat panels, such as bonnets, doors, then i hand polish curves, corners, tight spots!
  10. DJM1982

DJM1982 Member

[Jun 25, 2010]
    Yeah same here, machined all the areas i could get to and then hand polished the fiddly bits.

As for process, i washed with 2 bucket method, dried ( cheated by using quick detailer ), clayed using megs clar bar and last touch quick detailer, masked up, machine polished (using supplied Sonus Polishes), then hand applied the wax.
    I bought the megs rotary polisher with sonus pads and polish kit from cleanyourcar (google them, they are very good).

As i say, this was my first attempt and alittle scarey ( as i didn't want to screw the paint up ), but next time i'm going to try and use a more abbasive polish and pad to try and get the deeper scratches and swirls out.
    But very pleased with my first attempt.
  11. ultramodz

ultramodz 06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

[Jun 25, 2010]
    Good work :)

I need to do mine again - the guy who parks next to me keeps brushing up against my wing as he gets in his crappy Ford & has dulled the finish :(
  12. DJM1982

DJM1982 Member

[Jun 25, 2010]
    I find people do that all the time where i work, makes me sick, plus I do over 700miles a week in mine ( a proper mile muncher ). And previous owners had never bothered cleaning other than the hand car wash, so mine was in desperate need of being done. Next time i hope to get even more of the stone scratches and chips out of the front bumper and bonnet.
  13. Dazmo

Dazmo Active Member

[Jun 25, 2010]
    Sounds good mate, the only thing i did'nt do was clay it as i could'nt be arsed!

I washed using the two bucket technique, dried it then polished with sonus and then gave it a single coat of caranuaba wax p222 (think it is), also poor boy sealed the wheels.

Got rid of most the swirls with the polish, i dont usually polish i tend to just clean dry and wax, so has not been polished by me for almost a year! looks loads better now
  14. ultramodz

ultramodz 06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

[Jun 25, 2010]
    Yeah I spent 3 days on mine last time! I applied stone chip paint from Audi, wet sanded the front end & polished it up with my DA. It looked so much better. :)

^^^ You should defo clay before you polish as the polishing mop can drag particles around & work them into the paint further, negating the polishing work you're putting in.
  15. Nu-Tec

Nu-Tec New Member

[Jun 25, 2010]
    quick question.... would machine polishing affect my supa guard that is on the car??

cheers