Filler cap help

K4RL

Reaction score
Hi all

Filled up for the second time today, whilst doing this I had to let the cap hang down against the body. Am I missing something? Does the cap clip on / hang off the filler flap somehow?

:confused: Karl - 2010 model S3

Clips onto the filler cap cover m8, theres a small notch
In the side of the black cap hth

Cal

Sorry but that way is gash as it is still resting on the paintwork.
Use the black plastic hinge of the hatch and hang it there.
There was a thread on this a while back iirc

Sorry but that way is gash as it is still resting on the paintwork.
Use the black plastic hinge of the hatch and hang it there.
There was a thread on this a while back iirc

i think the filler cap is different on the SB because that doesn't work on my 3dr? the notch isn't big enough

Works as shown on my 3dr

...... Edit, you mean to hang on the hinge don't you! It's late..

on the filler cap there are several notches of different sizes i can assure you it fits on the hinge as said on both the SB and 3DR. you need to use the bigger gap between the notches so for example from the picture above you need to turn it 90 degrees
oh and a plastic filler cap will scratch the s**t out of the paint on the filler flap

Last edited:
on the filler cap there are several notches of different sizes i can assure you it fits on the hinge as said on both the SB and 3DR. you need to use the bigger gap between the notches so for example from the picture above you need to turn it 90 degrees
oh and a plastic filler cap will scratch the s**t out of the paint on the filler flap

will give that a go... just washed and waxed my car and it's scratched up pretty bad :crying:

funny, it didn't at all scratch my Ebony Black 2005 car

will give that a go... just washed and waxed my car and it's scratched up pretty bad :crying:

funny, it didn't at all scratch my Ebony Black 2005 car

You have hit on a often missed point here..............The paint quality of the earlier Audi's was way way superior to the modern cars. I went cash in hand to look at a black TTS a while back and although brand new and parked next to a brand new black S3 i had to ask the sales guy if they had been in a crash the paint was so bad. They looked like they had been blown in rather badly.
The answer is apparently the new water based paints tend to orange peel. When i had my car sprayed after its knock recently i sent it back twice because of poor paint finish but they could not do anything with it. The Roof is original and is a glass like finish with a near perfect reflection where as the sides that have been resprayed are very shiny but the reflection is bad and at a angle looks awful much like the showroom stuff these days. It was only when i parked next to a black 60 reg BMW 335i coupe in the car park that i realized its not just Audi. If that had been my new car i would have rejected it instantly. Its a great shame because the excellent paint finish was one of the selling points of Audi to me.

I've always used the notches on the black filler cap to secure it resting on the (unpainted) inside of the filler flap.
No paint to damage on the inside & no visible damage as yet to the paint on the top lip of the filler flap after 19 months of doing it carefully.

Thought this was simples last time this thread came up!

get a lamp at night and shine it on the area it will be shocking.

My last BMW had a far better design for holding the cap, looking for a pic here

tried. didn't work.

You have hit on a often missed point here..............The paint quality of the earlier Audi's was way way superior to the modern cars. I went cash in hand to look at a black TTS a while back and although brand new and parked next to a brand new black S3 i had to ask the sales guy if they had been in a crash the paint was so bad. They looked like they had been blown in rather badly.
The answer is apparently the new water based paints tend to orange peel. When i had my car sprayed after its knock recently i sent it back twice because of poor paint finish but they could not do anything with it. The Roof is original and is a glass like finish with a near perfect reflection where as the sides that have been resprayed are very shiny but the reflection is bad and at a angle looks awful much like the showroom stuff these days. It was only when i parked next to a black 60 reg BMW 335i coupe in the car park that i realized its not just Audi. If that had been my new car i would have rejected it instantly. Its a great shame because the excellent paint finish was one of the selling points of Audi to me.

i doubt it's that simple. by the time i was looking to get rid of the Ebony Black car the bonnet had faded and couldn't be polished. it looked like it had been driving around on gritted roads no matter what i tried to do. the sides and backs looked pretty good tho, as did the roof.

I've always used the notches on the black filler cap to secure it resting on the (unpainted) inside of the filler flap.
No paint to damage on the inside & no visible damage as yet to the paint on the top lip of the filler flap after 19 months of doing it carefully.

get a lamp at night and shine it on the area it will be shocking.

Sounds annoying. The next time I get the urge to shine a lamp on my petrol cap whilst getting into my car at night I'll keep my eyes closed.

Sounds annoying. The next time I get the urge to shine a lamp on my petrol cap whilst getting into my car at night I'll keep my eyes closed.

Yes...i was thinking the same but didn't like to say anything.

I just went out and had a look at mine using a candle but it looked ok...I will check again in an hour or two, hopefully the moon will come out..Hope i don't need a respray !!:)