Fifth gear i still want a RS3

M

Morells

ok so the 1M beat the RS3 on the track but they should have used the same driver for both that would have been more interesting. but i bet most of the S3's with the revo stage 2+ on here would kill that 1M anyday of the week on the country roads all you would see in your rear view mirror is the 1M in the hedge im sorry to have a rant but i love my audi S3 and driven the RS3 and love that to the BMW is a horrible car in my opinion rubish inside and dull out side.

Each to there own but it would be the 1m for me, manual rs3 3dr and it might be different.

Reactions: MrWhItEwOlF
I agree with legin, i was tempted by an RS3 but with no manual and 5 doors only the 1M wins everyday of the week. But i feel cheated by the driver change, should of used the same one for both tests

The point of the rs3 is it's meant to be a hot hatch the goes around a track and on road quickly. In this case and I imagine many the 1m is faster. Not really fair comparing a stage 2 s3, why not compare a stage 2 135 against an rs3 and see what the results would be.

1M is ugly. RS3 is a rushed job! I would buy neither

far better alternatives out there for that price

There's a lot of questions to cover at £40k, and let's face it, to get a properly specced RS3 you are looking at closer to £50k.

You can buy a second hand Vantage for £35k, a decent Porsche Cayman R with very low mileage for £40k, and by the time you get to £50k there's quite a lot of exotica on offer. Thing is, none of these cars have A3 running costs, and most don't carry luggage and 5 passengers so it becomes a very different choice.

For what they are, both the 1M & RS3 are astonishing cars, the RS3 particularly given the aged chassis it's had to adopt, but I don't think either are quite worth the lofty price tag as there are similar thrills to be had for almost half the money if you buy and mod sensibly.

My local Audi dealer has an RS3 and its horrible! The brakes and the engine are all I would have off it.
Horrible wheels with a red rim, too many doors and no manual. It doesn't even have buckets. WTF?
I'd rather a top spec S3 and "tinker" with it a bit.
Can't beat the RS3 exhaust note tho eh!!

If we could get the RS3 in America, I would purchase it right away.

I didn't see it but the results are hardly surprising. The 1M has come out on top in every single review that I've seen where the 2 have been pitted against each other. Would I buy the 1M over the RS3 if I really, really had to choose between those 2? No. It doesn't fit my needs nor do the aesthetics appeal to me. I don't really pay much attention to reviews from any of the motoring press. They have collectively raved about cars that I have found shocking even in recent history.

I agree with Warren that neither are really worth the price tag and I have to say that if it was my money I would be looking for something a bit more special that's done a few years depreciation already. In my opinion the japanese offerings wouldn't even be in the running as at that price I'd want more than just a fast car that turns the heads of the playstation generation.

Last edited:
In my mind between the 2 of them i would rather have the rs3. Fair enough the rs3 was nearly 3 seconds slower but as mark higgins said a car performes completely different on a track compared to the public roads. I honestly think the rs3 looks better than the 1m. Ps crunchie i think i know the rs3 your talking about at highland audi me & ma mate were looking at it a black 1 with red trim wheels? Fair enough if it was manual it would be the dogs ********, i hate automatic , but other than that me & ma mate thought it was a sweet looking car. 40k is a bit steep tho.

Also forgot highland audi have got a blue RS6 avant for 50K. 572 bhp automatic, well DSG i mean. I wish i had 50K

what are the far better alternatives out there for 40k are there? brand new?

Buying brand new is a foolish thing anyway. The only exception is if you are silly rich and can afford the depreciation.

If I had 40k first it wouldnt go on a car, second if it did...i'd get second hand porsche's, gtr's or even bmw m3. Cars that are practical and look nice too.

I love sportback a3, i own one myself, but just think rs3 is rushed. I would in a million years even look at 1m :laugh:

No being cheeky but a porsche gtr for 40k good luck mate lol

Pulling that handbrake probably cost him 1 second on the lap.

The 1m is a beaut the same goes for the rs3 ( unless if it's the one with the red alloys :puke2: )

I guess they didn't test the RS3 with the optional 255 front tires....all that talking about understeer.

I collected mine on Saturday; the engine, brakes, gearbox, ride, acceleration and noise are, but oh the noise, are all amazing. And I was trully in love with my S3 until I had a test drive in an RS3 (Stafford Audi).

It took all of 7-days to sell my S3 (privately) and buy mine.

66-years of age and going out with a smile
:sly:

I collected mine on Saturday; the engine, brakes, gearbox, ride, acceleration and noise are, but oh the noise, are all amazing. And I was trully in love with my S3 until I had a test drive in an RS3 (Stafford Audi).

Nice one. I don't doubt for one moment they are amazing, and great fun, but I pulled my deposit mostly due to what is coming in the next few years, on a newer platform, and a lot more up to date gadgets :)

One ? did you have one on order for like months, or just walked into the Dealers, saw one test drove it, and bought one?

good man!!! pics pleaaaaaaaaseee! i want a RS3

:sign_pics:

I picked my RS3 up on the 7th october and i cannot remember smiling so much in a car, the noise and acceleration are unreal they are a wolf in sheeps clothing i havent even had the chance to see what it will do as it needs 1000 miles on the clock to run it in but from what i have seen so far it is the best car choice i have made it is far better than the 2009 plate S3 i had.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a shot of one(and the $ to buy one) but there is no way I could buy an SB.
Never mind a DSG one!

it is the best car choice i have made it is far better than the 2009 plate S3 i had.

Fair play but it wants to be better than an S3, be very worrying if it wasn't!

If you ask me, Audi putting the manual box in the RS3 would have been like Alex Ferguson fielding the reserves against Barcelona. If you've got a gear box that can make the right change every time then why would you leave it to some ham fisted muppet.

I agree that 3 seconds is alot but, personally, I would never dream of taking my car on a track. Even if I did, it's unlikely I'd come up against Tiff Neddell in a 1M.

Horses for courses, the RS3 ticks all my boxes and I can wait till I can pick mine up.

Plus I'll be fortunate enough to know that, one day, I could be effortlessly cruising along in the snow and have the opportunity to stop and help a stranded 1M driver...

I've warmed to the old girl. Intially I thought it was a poor show by Audi; if I'm honest, it still needs oval pipes as a minimum, and arches akin to the RS4, but I do fancy the gearbox and that engine. If i had the chance and the spare coin, I'd probably have one. I'm too impatient to wait for the second hand prices to come down to what I want/can pay, so it's plenty wife persuading in order to take a TT-RS out.

It was an impulse, sort of.

I've been keeping an eye on this machine for sometime but never thought I'd be in a position to get one, however, three weeks ago someone asked if I wanted to sell my Lotus Elan which I had owned for 34-years and I said yes.

At the same time, I was having a new clutch fitted to my (Custom Code modified) 8L S3 at Stafford Audi; I'd had that car for 6-years, it was mint, low mileage, was fully loaded, and I was totally in love, however, when I went to collect the car I found they had a RS3 demonstrator. Less than a mile into a 10-mile run I was sold on the machine - but not that particular one as it had bucket seats and silver flashes everywhere (I'm old).

So home with the S3 and onto Piston Heads where I found this:

clip_image001.jpg

Was it still for sale? Yes. So, sold the S3 (on a single phone call) subject to getting this RS3.

Went down to the seller for 9 o'clock the following morning (it's still shown on piston heads) and agreed to purchase within 5-minutes. Didn't even bother to drive it!

It does everything my Elan and S3 did, but better, so much better. Driveability on UK roads is amazing due to it's relatively small package and availability of torque on demand.

The run home following purchase went M25, M40 to Oxford then cross-country to the Kingham Plough for (a very quick) lunch. Then home cross-country, the M42 and Toll road.

Three days later, a cross-country run to The Stagg at Titley, a truly superb lunch and really, the ride of a lifetime. It is seriously rapid in 'D', while in 'S' it's just daft.

I've been lucky, through my hobbies, to have driven many serious motorcars but none as good (for me) as this. The overall ride, brakes, engine, noise are magic. And again, +30mpg (running in, of course).

And it's a one off colour, no others this colour - which I like.

Don't ask, as it'll not be for sale anytime soon.

Regards to all.

elansprint@aol.com

No prizes for guessing which one of the 8 it is on PistonHeads, see it came with a fully loaded price tag too :faint:

Glad your enjoying the car, nice update too!

John must be happy with his purchase... half of his total posts since 2003 are in this thread talking about his new car! :laugh:

John, by any chance did you have or have a mk5 r32 tuned to the nuts?

I never understood cars with nice price tags with stuck on headlight washer jets, why cant they recess them flush like audi's & others, they look absolutely tacky as hell & ruins a car look to the point I'd not even consider buying that car.